Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
? cafe Cubano
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > ? cafe Cubano  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
narc
narc
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: MCal,PVL2
Grinder: MacapMX, vintage hand...
Roaster: GeneCafe
Posted Sun Aug 10, 2003, 8:09am
Subject: ? cafe Cubano

What are the ingredients in an authentic cafe Cubano?  What is/are the correct process to create this drink? Sampled a cafe Cubano @ the Miami airport a few years ago.  Unlike the "espresso" it was drinkable. Potential for a nice sweet drink assuming you have a decent shot to start with.  A search using the keyword cafe Cubano yielded 688 posts. The 1st 20 did not provide any info.

Noel
Mano dell 'operatore> Macinadosatore> Miscela> Macchina espresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MartyFreemanLeftBank
MartyFreemanLeftBank
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LaCimbali M28
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Ancient Silex LK8
Drip: Fetco 31A
Roaster: (2) Syd and Jerry's
Posted Sun Aug 10, 2003, 10:40am
Subject: Re: ? cafe Cubano

Cafe Cubano is a strong shot of Moka Pot Coffee, prepared in a unique fashion.  Use finely ground good quality coffee and tamp gently in the filter funnel piece. Fill lower chamber with water, but do not over-fill. (You do not the water level quite as high as the filter plate in the funnel) Assemble Moka Pot.  I prefer a nuttier characteristic bean such as Guatemalan or Colombian over sweet or fruity beans for this.  Place a couple teaspoons of fine sugar in a steaming pitcher.  Place Moka Pot over medium-high heat until the first bit of coffee comes up the pipe into the upper chamber( watch carefully)... remove briefly from heat and pour the first bit of coffee over the sugar in the pitcher, return the Moka Pot to medium heat.  Vigorously stir the coffee and sugar, making a paste, while the pot finishes brewing.  Slowly pour the finished brew into the steaming pitcher with the coffee/sugar paste... stirring vigorously  (I use a fork), trying to incorporate as much air as you can into the Cubano,  to get it frothy.  Pour very small (1/2 oz) shots into the smallest cups you have.  ENJOY!..... Marty
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sun Aug 10, 2003, 12:10pm

Thanks for the cool recipe, Marty.

I noticed in Miami, a lot of Cuban places use a mix of coffee and sugar in the PF and make an espresso shot. Is this lazy or legit?

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
narc
narc
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: MCal,PVL2
Grinder: MacapMX, vintage hand...
Roaster: GeneCafe
Posted Sun Aug 10, 2003, 1:13pm

Marty, thanks for the info.  My fading memory vaguely remembers a thimble size serving of cafe Cubano made utilizing an espresso machine. Great for rapid production but obviously not an authentic cafe Cubano. I'm not sure if it's a dream(nightmare)or a memory of owning a MokaPot during my BS days. The nightmare was long nights in an analytical chem lab drinking Bunsen burner burnt "coffee" made with a Moka Pot.

Noel
Mano dell 'operatore> Macinadosatore> Miscela> Macchina espresso
MartyFreemanLeftBank
MartyFreemanLeftBank
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LaCimbali M28
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Vac Pot: Ancient Silex LK8
Drip: Fetco 31A
Roaster: (2) Syd and Jerry's
Posted Sun Aug 10, 2003, 4:31pm

You are welcome!.. coincidently, I Italian Roasted some Peruvian and Guatemalan and removed from the roaster at peak heat, and cooled them in a bowl with Unsalted Butter and Brown Sugar, tossing with a wooden spoon.  I will try pulling a few shots tomorrow and see what happens.  Gotta be good, but as you say, not an authentic Cafe~ Cubano.  I have had shots pulled with a dusting of Cayenne, and with Chipolte Powder and Cocoa.  Both very interesting and good, but I would be concerned that if done consistantly, there might be some residue in subsequent shots... ( a little Cayenne goes a long way)  I suppose that the espresso could be steamed in a pitcher with the sugar too for another Cubano shortcut... Cafe~ Cubano Breve? ...... Marty
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > ? cafe Cubano  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.198852062225)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+