Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Portable Coffee
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Portable Coffee  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
ScientificBarista

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Aug 22, 2006, 10:00am
Subject: Portable Coffee

Hi There,

I'm a newbie to this site and was hoping to find an answer here.  If you're interested in background at all, I know more than your average Joe about a cup of joe (Ha! ...anyone?).  

My question in simplest form:  Can anyone recomend a good travel mug/thermos/leakproof container for coffee?

I've gone through a few different stainless steel varieties.  I always end up throwing them away after a few months because they simply make my delicious coffee taste awful.  I assume it would help if I didn't put the cream in the container (just the coffee), but the whole point of the thing is to be able to get your beverage ready and GO.  I don't think I can keep a container of half and half at home, the lab, the office, etc.   I've tried washing in baking soda, to no helpful effect.    On that note, if you have any cleaning suggestions, I'd be grateful for those also.  

Thank you for your help...
 View Profile Link to this post
EddieDove
EddieDove

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Dienes
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cory Glass Rod,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex, Bodum...
Roaster: RKDrum, Behmor, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Tue Aug 22, 2006, 10:18am
Subject: Re: Portable Coffee

Mandy,

I use a Thermos Nissan thermos and travel mug.  The thermos (model: NCD-10) is rated at 24 hours hot/cold.  The tumber (model: JML350W) keeps coffee HOT for hours.  My commute to work is 87 miles one way and I have used this tumbler for years.

I use something called Brew-rite to clean them ... I think my wife gets it at Walmart.  It is sodium carbonate and it does a very good job.

Hope this helps ...

Respectfully,

Eddie

Respectfully,

Eddie Dove (a.k.a. eodove)
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://www.southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ScientificBarista

Posted Tue Aug 22, 2006, 10:43am

Ooh, wow...so my answer to years of smelly coffee thermoses that make my drink taste bad may be a simple cleaner from Wal-Mart?

This is exciting.

My online research was starting to tell me that Nissan was a good thermos brand.  I generally don't have a problem with the coffee going cold too fast; I mainly need something that I can throw in my backpack that won't leak and won't change the flavor of my coffee.  I assumed it was the plastic lid that was retaining bad smells/tastes, but didn't know if I'd come on here and find some sort of miracle alternative material container to use.

Thanks for your help, Eddie.
EddieDove
EddieDove

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Dienes
Vac Pot: Yama w/ Cory Glass Rod,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex, Bodum...
Roaster: RKDrum, Behmor, Gene Cafe,...
Posted Tue Aug 22, 2006, 11:54am

Mandy,

For the most part, it works.  But, like anything else there are some coffees that are just down right defiant.  I rarely put anything in my tumbler that I don't roast and brew myself, but the one time I was desperate and put a certain *$ coffee in there ... I think I used everything under the sink and in the pantry ...

Eddie

Respectfully,

Eddie Dove (a.k.a. eodove)
Vita non est vivere sed valere vita est
Home Coffee Roasting Blog and Reference
http://www.southcoastcoffeeroaster.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ThatCoffeeGuy
ThatCoffeeGuy
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: NS at shop, nothing at home
Grinder: NS MDX, NS MCF (home), Bunn...
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600, FR-8, Popper,...
Posted Tue Aug 29, 2006, 9:15pm

I agree with Eddie here 100% on the thermos (have one myself, don't have to use it much working at a shop, but you know... it sits there for use every year or so... haha).

Also, I honestly don't know how available Cafiza and Purocaff are, but they are espresso machine cleaners, so you can bet they they get everything off.  We offer the feature to our customers of them dropping off their mugs before we close and us cleaning them out at night with Cafiza and Rinza (milk build-up cleaner) for $2.  These products works wonders on getting that, "smelly, sweaty, running shirt that hasn't been washed for a week" taste/smell out of there.  Also, when you clean the mug, make sure that you take it apart fully (assuming you will be able to put it back together).  Take out the little gaskets, if you can and soak them all in some sort of cleaner.  Most importantly, just don't let the mugs sit overnight in your car (you know you do it).  Take them inside and wash them after every single cup of coffee you put into them.  It will save you a lot of headaches, and probably stomach aches considering what I have seen growing in some of those mugs that come in for cleaning.

Happy Coffee-ing!

Bryan Wray

"I just hope that people realize that coffee is not just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art." -Christopher Owens
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
ThatCoffeeGuy
ThatCoffeeGuy
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: NS at shop, nothing at home
Grinder: NS MDX, NS MCF (home), Bunn...
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600, FR-8, Popper,...
Posted Tue Aug 29, 2006, 9:17pm

Oh, BTW, you can get those two products online here.

Keep it clean man, keep it clean.

Bryan Wray

"I just hope that people realize that coffee is not just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art." -Christopher Owens
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
ScientificBarista

Posted Wed Aug 30, 2006, 4:11am

Thank you and thanks for the link!  I couldn't find Eddie's Brew-Rite stuff.  

UPS tried to deliver my new Nissan backpack thermos when I was still in the lab yesterday.  Of course since I live in an apartment they just said they'd be back again tomorrow (today).  At least I'll have nice tasting hot coffee from home sometime this week.
Cathi

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cremina '67, Coffex
Grinder: Macap, KA Pro, Troesser,...
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex CM-8, KMB
Posted Wed Aug 30, 2006, 11:01am

Excellent posts Bryan.  

I've used Brew-Rite myself and noticed that to get everything totally out of my stainless carafe, I had to take a scrub brush with baking soda to the walls and bottom.  Worked like a charm.  Followed it up by rinsing and soaking a couple of pots worth of  hot water.  Clean as new and no noticible after taste.  HTH
mgwolf

Espresso: Londinium 1, Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama, Sunbeam C50
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Chemex
Posted Wed Aug 30, 2006, 12:49pm

Since you already ordered your Nissan thermos, I won't bother to recommend that brand (which is great).  To get them clean, I've found that if you soak your stainless thermos overnight with some dishwasher soap (Cascade or whatever's around) the next morning everything shines  with a quick swipe of a bottle brush.  1/2 -1 teaspon per thermos, fill with hot water, rinse well in the AM and you're ready for another week or two.  I use cream in my coffee,  so that's harder to keep clean.  Michael
javanj

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia New Coffee, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Rocky & Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta pour over & Gevalia...
Posted Tue Sep 5, 2006, 7:10pm

Nissan "Backpacker" is about 16 oz. Coffee/espresso made at 8 AM is hot at 5 PM.
Preheat for optimum results. Clean daily with dish soap and a good bottle cleaning brush.Rinse well and let it dry over night.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Portable Coffee  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23358798027)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+