Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Blue Cloud Green Coffee ??????????
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Blue Cloud Green...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
grateful

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Drip: French Press, SwissGold One...
Roaster: BuzzRoaster
Posted Fri Dec 12, 2003, 12:34am
Subject: Blue Cloud Green Coffee ??????????

Hello,

I recently purchase 5 lbs  Blue Cloud Robusta / Moka Blend and 5 lbs Blue Cloud Arabica green beans and think it was a big mistake. Both batches roast very uneven and taste like dirt. I'm using a WB Poppery II and tried different roasts, but it all tastes like @#$%!

Has anyone had a positive expierence with Blue Cloud coffee? If so, please let me know what I'm doing wrong. I'm new at the home roasting thing, and may just have learned why not to stray from SweetMarias.com for my greens.

grateful: steely_gd.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
srwven

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90S
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Drip: Clarity
Roaster: Stir crazy/convec oven
Posted Wed Dec 17, 2003, 1:46pm
Subject: Re: Blue Cloud Green Coffee ??????????

I haven't tried their coffee but if you are referring to the blue cloud coffee that sells on ebay, the coffee is from Vietnam.  They(viet growers) are considered to produce lousy, low grade mostly robusta coffee.  Their elevation and soil is not optimal for coffee growth.  I am no expert but this is what I am reading through the articles I have seen.  They are a relative newcomer and are flooding the market with cheap lousy beans.  Most of the commercial (read maxwell house, folgers, etc) use their beans and have to process them with I think some type of hot steam to make it drinkable.  I will see if I can find the article, maybe it was on scaa's site.
jgullam
jgullam
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ02
Grinder: Rocky (doserless)
Vac Pot: Yama / KMB in the office
Drip: moka pot
Roaster: StirCrazy/Convection Oven
Posted Sun Dec 21, 2003, 11:05am

This is Vietnamese coffee and when prepared in the traditional style can be excellent (let the flaming begin).
Brewed very strong and served with sweetened condensed milk (pours like cake frosting) is good hot though my preference is served over ice.
Again this is not Kona or Jamaica Blue Mountain and many people dismiss it outright as 'bad coffee' - just keep in mind that it shouldn't be prepared like other coffees
My 313.12 VND
John
jadesimports
jadesimports

Posted Sun Dec 21, 2003, 9:10pm

We tried their beans before we started to import, thinking they might be a possible source for our business.  When we received their "beans" we quickly decided to strike out on our own and import ourselves.  I agre the Robusta leaves a little to be desired, but the Arabica is better, and the government in Vietnam is starting to devote more land for the production of Arabica coffee.  As for Blue Cloud, they are indeed dumping on the market, and from what I understand they have gone under a couple of times already only to resurface like a floating dead fish.  My opinion of course.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jadesimports
jadesimports

Posted Sun Dec 21, 2003, 9:22pm

Oh, just an afterthought, they're robusta/moka are actually two types of beans.  The Robusta is the "average" quality, and the Moka is an even cheaper quality (if you can imagine that).  We started selling our coffee on eBay, but Blue Clot quickly stopped that with their $0.01 per pound auctions.  Who can compete with that?  We try to run an honest business, but nobody can compete when there is dumping involved.  Of course eBay turned a deaf ear.  Hence the reason we struck out on our own.
srwven

Posted Mon Dec 22, 2003, 9:50am

Couldn't find the exact article I was referring to.  However there are a ton out there, google it.  Here is a quote from organicafe.com -"In order to address this issue, the Vietnamese government has purchased and stockpiled domestically grown coffee. Also, in August 2001, Vietnam signed the International Coffee Agreement at the United Nations headquarters in New York City.

Even the Vietnamese government seems willing to concede that the nation's coffee export, generally speaking, is of a lower grade than that of other countries. The aforementioned Vietnam Embassy press release admits that "for many years now, Viet Nam has paid more attention to increasing the quantity of farm products when it needed to pay more attention to their quality and world market demand." Another Embassy article explains that the "wanton expansion of coffee plantations in Central Highlands Tay Nguyen with little regard for soil ecology resulted in coffee plant diseases and a low-quality bean that drove export prices down." In a speech given to the International Coffee Association, Doan Trieu Nhan, Chairman of the Vietnam Coffee-Cocoa Association, described a state plan to diversify the country's robusta-saturated coffee growth and output, growing more arabica in the northern region of the country. "

It takes an extremely long time to grow and allow Arabica coffee plants to mature to quality bean producing plants.  Even if they buy mature plants and transplant them, it should take quite a few years for a significant amount of high quality arabica coffee to be produced.  There are only a few areas (northern) of Vietnam suitable to Arabica plants that are sensitive to low elevations and poor soil conditions.
jbjwallace

Expertise: Just starting

Roaster: alpenrost
Posted Tue Dec 23, 2003, 7:59pm

I am using blue cloud coffee along with about 5 other types, (being new to coffee roasting) I have alot to learn. It doesn't taste any worse than several others I have tried. ( still trying to learn )
srwven

Posted Wed Dec 24, 2003, 6:05am

jbjwallace Said:

I am using blue cloud coffee along with about 5 other types, (being new to coffee roasting) I have alot to learn. It doesn't taste any worse than several others I have tried. ( still trying to learn )

Posted December 23, 2003 link

What other beans are you trying?  There are bad coffee growers everywhere.  Even quality producers products can vary from year to year due to growing conditions.  Don't assume just because a bean is say, papua new guinea means it is great.  It could be from a lousy farm, a holdover from past years, or even be a blend from a not so reputable seller.  There will even be variations in beans from the same region in the same year, generally first crops aren't as good as second crops, etc. etc.  Make sure your beans are from reputable dealers.  Roasts, grind, and brewing method even produce different results.
jbjwallace

Expertise: Just starting

Roaster: alpenrost
Posted Mon Dec 29, 2003, 4:55am

I am not saying these are bad. Remember I am new to this,Mexican (Nayarit),Brazilian (Bela Flor), Ethiopian (Sidmo) and Sumatra(not sure of spelling)
rocchioroasters
rocchioroasters
Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 1:43pm

There is a special technique to roasting Robusta beans. You can't just put it in a popcorn popper and turn it brown. The Blue Cloud robusta from Vietnam is a perfect example of this. First of all, the chemistry of the bean is very different from Arabica. There's a high percentage of sugar and caffeine in the green coffee and this must be taken into account when roasting. Robusta needs to have an even roasting pace to first crack, heat needs to be reduced, then brought back to temperature to a rolling 2nd crack. I've purchased several hundred pounds of the Blue Cloud V. Robusta... when roasted properly, you get a sweet bittersweet chocolate in the cup with a baker's chocolate finish. When prepared as espresso, you get crema you can ski on. Plus, the intense caffeine and caramelized sugar content will give a strong buzz...even a euphoric high to those who give it a whirl. So, get rid of the popcorn popper, and put some real heat into the roast...you'll come up with a great coffee.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Blue Cloud Green...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.248045921326)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+