Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
To freeze or not to freeze . . . ?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > To freeze or not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MochaManiac
MochaManiac
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Kitchen Aid Pro Line
Grinder: Kitchen Aid Pro Line
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2008, 1:30pm
Subject: To freeze or not to freeze . . . ?

I know this is an old topic, but I had to bring it up given my recent experience at a local roaster.  

From my research on this site over the years, it seems to me that the consensus is that freezing your coffee beans is bad.  Freezing beans draws moisture from the air that collects on the beans (and is absorbed), especially when you take the beans out of the freezer (they're cold and draw moisture out of the air).  Even if you use the beans right away and put the rest back in the freezer, the frozen beans can be very hard on your bean grinder.   At least, this is my understanding of the topic.

Well, did I ever get a dressing down by the local roaster after telling him these things.  I was informed (more like forcefully told) that he (as opposed to other people) does NOT use water to cool his beans.  Therefore, his beans are "completely dry" and do not consist of any water.  Hence, freezing his beans has absolutely no negative effects on the beans (and does not make them any harder) and is THE best way to preserve freshness.  I told him that I had researched that the best way to preserve beans is to put them in a dark "air tight" container.  He mentioned that the containers aren't actually air tight, and that every time I open it I let more air in which robs the beans of freshness (of this I understand).

Now, I ask you, which is it?  Is this roaster correct or should I continue my practice of not freezing the beans?  (I typically use a pound of coffee beans within 10 - 12 days).  

Oh, he also indicated that freezing could preserve freshness almost indefinitely (he provided the anecdote of a couple of his customers who purchase 1 - 2 months supply of coffee at once and freeze it).  I cannot see how coffee frozen for two months could be as fresh as coffee roasted yesterday!

Thank you very much!
 View Profile Link to this post
coffee_monkey

Espresso: Isomac Rituale, FE-AR...
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Hario MSC-2
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Hario DPW-1
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2008, 1:38pm
Subject: Re: To freeze or not to freeze . . . ?

Why don't you just try it? Not very difficult test I imagine...

- Ben

www.barismo.com
MochaManiac
MochaManiac

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2008, 1:43pm

Well, I certainly will try it, but to be honest with you, I can't imagine I will be able to tell the difference in flavor within a 10-day time frame (and I certainly am not going to buy beans and just let them sit in the freezer for 2 months!).

But, I would appreciate some insightful answers, if possible (as I'm sure you would be able to provide, coffee_monkey!).

Thanks!
Mizspresso
Mizspresso

Espresso: Vivaldi II, MyPressi
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario, Macap...
Drip: Bodum (press)
Roaster: Sonofresco
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2008, 1:59pm

I believe Mark Prince did a study on this and the results were favorable. He packed beans into mason jars and froze them. As I remember, he was able to store them for 4 months without loss of freshness. My understanding is that you don't put them back in the freezer after opening as you have introduced air and moisture and this will cause degradation.

For my part, I have been freezing my beans for the past, well 4 months, since I got into this pursuit!

I have a vacuum packing machine. I break up my coffee into 4 oz packets, which I vacuum pack and pop into the freezer. Sometimes I like a coffee in the evening and prefer decaf after about 6pm. Since this is less frequent than my morning cappuccino, the decaf has to last longer. Last night I broke open a packet roasted on 12/10 and made a capp. Got luscious creamy crema. This is not 4 months, but I bet if those beans had been sitting in a container on the counter that the crema would not have been nearly as good.
coffee_monkey

Espresso: Isomac Rituale, FE-AR...
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Hario MSC-2
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Drip: Hario DPW-1
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2008, 2:10pm

MochaManiac Said:

Well, I certainly will try it, but to be honest with you, I can't imagine I will be able to tell the difference in flavor within a 10-day time frame (and I certainly am not going to buy beans and just let them sit in the freezer for 2 months!).

Posted January 10, 2008 link

Well, it sounded like you've already made up your mind, but in case you want some further reading material:

Coffee Collective Experiments
Ken Fox/ Jim Schulman Experiments
Roast magazine article

My two cents: try it for yourself and ALWAYS question what you've read/told.

- Ben

www.barismo.com
MochaManiac
MochaManiac

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2008, 2:11pm

Thank you for your response, Mizspresso!

My understanding is that you don't put them back in the freezer after opening as you have introduced air and moisture and this will cause degradation.

This is precisely my understanding as well.  As I would be opening the bag ever day (to get only the portion of beans I need for that cup of coffee) and putting it back in the freezer, I would think this would be worse than simply leaving them in a opaque container on the counter.

Or, perhaps, would you think it would still be better to freeze the beans in this case?

Thanks!
MochaManiac
MochaManiac

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2008, 2:15pm

coffee_monkey Said:

Well, it sounded like you've already made up your mind

Forgive me.  The manner in which I posted (and, certainly, the written form is notorious in not allowing the reader to fully understand the emotion, sentiment, and actual intent of the author) was an attempt to get across the manner in which I was spoken to: it was very . . . not so polite, if I may.  He acted as if (and assumed) I knew absolutely nothing about coffee, and I needed an impromptu lesson.  

My two cents: try it for yourself and ALWAYS question what you've read/told.

Thanks.  I know this site has many VERY well informed, knowledgeable, and experienced people.  I can hardly imagine that the combined discussion of such people could so readily be discredited.  Even so, your point is taken.

Thank you for the links.
MochaManiac
MochaManiac

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2008, 2:58pm

Oh, I forgot to add: the local roaster also informed me that it does not matter if I had him grind it for me or left it whole bean (for me to grind later).  He said it made no difference to the freshness if one were to freeze the coffee.  I said that, surely, coffee loses its freshness much more quickly when ground.  He said that everyone wrongfully assumes that the simple act of grinding makes coffee fresh (which is not what I was saying at all).  He let me know that grocery store coffee will still be stale whether or not you wait to grind it  (with that point I let him know I had no contention).  I reiterated that taking freshly roasted coffee and grinding it allows the flavor to degrade more quickly.  He re-affirmed his stance that that was not the case if I were to freeze it!

At that point, I simply shut my mouth and bought a pound of coffee (against my better judgement).
Mizspresso
Mizspresso

Espresso: Vivaldi II, MyPressi
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario, Macap...
Drip: Bodum (press)
Roaster: Sonofresco
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2008, 4:08pm

MochaManiac Said:

Oh, I forgot to add: the local roaster also informed me that it does not matter if I had him grind it for me or left it whole bean (for me to grind later).

Sounds to me as if your roaster is not quite the expert he thinks he is!

on your other point, I never put the beans back in the freezer. This is why I freeze in small, quarter pound packets. I keep very small quantities in a canister in the cupboard. I buy most of my coffee locally at Barefoot and am able to freeze beans that were roasted the day before or only a couple of days after roast. So, leaving the beans from opened packets in a canister is really just allowing them to continue outgassing.
farmroast
farmroast
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Thu Jan 10, 2008, 4:27pm

Just get your coffee as you said you can use up a pound in 10 or so days and with basic care, cool dry, dark and mostly air tight container and you should be ok. But the preground advise I don't understand at all. To me the coffee would be trash before I could even get home with it. All the co2 would be lost and extraction will be poor and stale.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > To freeze or not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.33530497551)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+