Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Just scored a Cory Vac Pot!!
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Just scored a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Tim_Bernardo
Tim_Bernardo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless, Bodum...
Vac Pot: Cory
Drip: Chemex, Bodum Press, Bunn
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2008, 10:27am
Subject: Just scored a Cory Vac Pot!!

Hi all!  Last night I found a 10 Cup (I think) Cory vac pot including the New Cory Rod all for $4!  It's my first vac pot so I've never used one, but I get the general idea of how it works.  I've tried it already and it brewed some great coffee, I'm just wondering if I am doing it correctly though.  When do you put the top half on?  Do you just put cold water in the bottom part, put the top half on, turn on the heat and then wait?  Or do you have the water heat up first before you put the top half on and if so how much?  Sorry about the rapid fire questioning, it's just that I've been fascinated about vac pots and now I've got one....too bad it's the stainless steel kind though, as I'm not able to see the whole process.

Tim (previously TBCoffee)
 View Profile Link to this post
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2008, 10:41am
Subject: Re: Just scored a Cory Vac Pot!!

I don't have a Cory pot, but I do have a Yama pot and a Cona glass rod.  I can answer some of your questions though, so maybe I can help.

Tim_Bernardo Said:

When do you put the top half on?  Do you just put cold water in the bottom part, put the top half on, turn on the heat and then wait?  Or do you have the water heat up first before you put the top half on and if so how much?

Posted January 16, 2008 link

Though you can either preheat or not, I personally prefer to preheat the water in the carafe, with the top off.  It allows me to do a couple of things:
  • While the water heats, I can prep the other parts (grounds, cleaning, cup prep, etc.).
  • I can defer grinding until the very last minute, so that they aren't sitting out in open air for 10 or 15 minutes while the water in the bottom boils.

When I preheat, I don't let the water get too close to boiling.  I find that at some temperature before boiling, enough pressure builds up to that low-temp water makes it to the top.  Instead, I get it probably around 190 or so, assemble the pieces, then put it under high flame to finish the heating.  Unfortunately I can't tell you the exact temperature as it is difficult to measure at that point, but my goal is to put the preheated water and top together without having the water start traveling upward immediately.

When the water begins to travel upward, lower the burner to just barely enough to keep the water traveling upward.  If the burner is up too high, you will get a lot of vigorous bubbling from the bottom once all the water reaches the top.  This will jostle the glass rod and could potentially allow grounds to travel down to the bottom if too much gets caught under the rod.  The cloth/plastic filter models (Bodum, Hario, Yama) don't have this problem.

If you have more questions, please fell free to ask!  If I can help more, I will.

Donald Varona
Tim_Bernardo
Tim_Bernardo

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless, Bodum...
Vac Pot: Cory
Drip: Chemex, Bodum Press, Bunn
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2008, 1:21pm

Looks like I have to get myself a thermometer...I think I was putting the pieces together too close to boiling and the water travels up right away.  I'll give it a try later on though, and I will post results.  Thanks!!

Tim (previously TBCoffee)
gime2much

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2008, 1:50pm

Tim...The Cory makes really great coffee that allows you to adjust the flavor to your taste.

My method (boil first or don't, it really doesn't matter)

Put the entire unit on the burner with the rod in place. Water will start going north at well below 200f, I've seen it appear to boil at temperatures as low as 175, so measure temperature of the water in the upper part.

I grind a little coarser than drip and add grinds to the upper bell only when the temp hits 195-200. Stir with a wooden something or other, don't want to break it with anything metal. At this point you want to reduce the heat to just enough to maintain the 200 degrees for around 3 minutes. Remove from heat.

Once removed from the heat source draw down usually takes around 20-30 seconds so 3 minutes of up top brew time works for me giving a total time of 3 1/2 minutes.

A tiny bit of sludge is normal so pay no attention. Changing the grind size, amount and/or the brew time will affect the final taste so just play around and see what you prefer.

Dan

Dan Brewer
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Just scored a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.217333078384)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+