Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Best method of storing roasted beans.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Best method of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
staz

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Jan 1, 2009, 5:06pm
Subject: Best method of storing roasted beans.

HI!

Sorry I bet this has been covered. The search function is being too slow and timing out though so I thought I'd quick ask. Currently I store beans in the bag they came in. Folded over. In an airtight piece of tupperware (the stuff with the rubber gaskets) in the freezer. Best way? Worst way?

I'm not sure if the freezer is doing more harm than good. Anyone have an opinion? Will they store just as long and as well if not better in the container in a dark cupboard? Is the freezing process doing damage?

I ask because we usually get through around 1.5lb a week stored in this way and I buy every 1-2 weeks. In a fit of something or other but mostly to take advantage of free postage I've just ordered 5lbs so some of it is going to be hanging around for maybe 3-4 weeks.
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 1, 2009, 9:59pm
Subject: Re: Best method of storing roasted beans.

Found this for ya...

"There are many theories about the best way to store coffee beans or ground coffee to retain freshness. One of the theories is to put your beans or ground coffee in the freezer for later use. Is this method the best way to store coffee? Let’s explore the idea.

Freezing seems like a universally accepted way to keep foods fresher longer. Freezing is a great way to store many of our everyday foods. Vegetables, fruits, meat, bread, and even butter can be given a life extension through freezing. In fact, freezing often retains many of the important vitamins and minerals in foods. Unfortunately, coffee may not share the same benefits from freezing.

There are 4 main enemies of our precious coffee beans: moisture, light, heat and air. At first glance, freezing doesn’t seem like it should be too damaging. Appearances, however, can be deceiving.

Coffee beans have been roasted in order to enhance flavor. The beans are also porous. Unfortunately a freezer can contain many other foods which have odors. The porous beans can absorb the flavors of many other frozen foods. Flavored coffees can be pleasant, but no one wants to drink seafood or garlic flavored coffee.

The beans can also absorb unwanted moisture. Moisture can deteriorate the coffee beans resulting in loss of flavor. The more you take coffee out of the freezer and put it back in, the more moisture can be absorbed into the bean. If you do decide to freeze some coffee, only freeze it once. The more you take it in and out of the freezer, the more damage you do.

The oils in roasted coffee beans are an important part of the flavor of a good cup of coffee. Unfortunately, freezing breaks down the aromatic oils in roasted coffee. Breaking down the oils means taking away flavor, giving another good reason to stay away from freezing coffee.

Ultimately, freezing coffee is probably not the best idea. Keep coffee stored in a cool, dry, airtight container away from light. Freezing coffee is possible, and may be alright if you only freeze it once. The resulting loss of flavor and quality might not make it worth it to you. Your best bet is to buy only enough coffee that you and your family can consume within 1-2 weeks. Enjoy it at the peak of its flavor! "
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
staz

Posted Fri Jan 2, 2009, 2:27am

Ok. Internet to the rescue. Seems everyone is saying (condensed version mind).

- Keep enough for 1-2 weeks in a cool, dark place in an airtight container. Avoid plastic.
- If you have to store longer than 1-2 weeks place in the freezer in an airtight container, but only freeze once.

Well I can live with that, I just thought I'd ask here to see if a defacto standard had been developed. Thanks internet! :D
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Jan 2, 2009, 10:07am

Thats just a net post...I never freeze coffee.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
malkore

Posted Fri Jan 2, 2009, 12:02pm

if you need to store roasted beans longer than two weeks, you're buying too many roasted beans at once.

if you can't use em in 2 weeks, they're going bad, frozen or not.

just another reason to roast your own.
jc5066

Expertise: Just starting

Drip: Quisinart Grind n Brew (Yeah...
Posted Fri Jan 2, 2009, 2:56pm

If you must freeze beans I would highly suggest you do two things;

1.  Double bag the bag of beans.  Take your bag of beans and put into a FREEZER bag and remove as much air as possible.  Take that and put into another FREEZER bag.  Not only do freezers share odors and aromas, almost all have dehumidifiers in them which will dry out your bean if you do not protect them.

2.  When its time to use them take them out of the freezer and put them in the fridge for a couple of days.  Going from freezer to room temp can cause moisture inside the bag due to the harsh temperature change between the air and the beans.

Like others said, its really best to consume beans in about two weeks.
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Fri Jan 2, 2009, 7:02pm

Contrary to some, freezing works very well.  I freeze in a vacuum freezer bag, the Reynolds HandiVac system, available in most markets.  I freeze about 4-6 oz in a quart bag, then put several of them in the gallon bags.

I have found coffee lost in my freezer that was over 3 months old.  It still was able to produce good espresso.

Don't freeze, thaw, and re-freeze.  Allow the coffee to get to room temp before opening the bag to prevent condensation.

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
Bergie

Espresso: Bialetti stovetop
Grinder: Capresso Infinity
Vac Pot: Yama,Cory,
Drip: Technivorm,KMB
Posted Fri Jan 2, 2009, 7:31pm

This is true,but has noone ever heard of the Foodsaver line of vacuum packers? Rather expensive,but well worth it. I use mine for a multitude of purposes,but best of all,I can vacuum pack my roasted coffee in a canister or,if I choose,in a plastic bag. In both cases,no freezing is necessary---the flavor remains fine for about 2 weeks at room temp. Suggest you give it a try.
staz

Posted Sat Jan 3, 2009, 3:34am

I know about the only buy as much as you can use in a week or maybe two. I know about the don't freeze and the exposure to moisture/light/air. I'm just saying I've ordered more than I usually would because I got free shipping for taking the order over a certain value which essentially made the coffee free. :D

Based on what I've read and been told I'll be storing the stuff I'll use in week 1 and 2 in airtight gasketed glass in the dark and cold pantry.

The stuff I'll be using in weeks 3 and 4 I'll split into two portions. Bag and roll to remove as much air as possible, bag again and then freeze in airtight gasketed tupperware. Then when I need to use it I'll remove each week at a time for storage in the regular way so only what I use that week defrosts.

I'll even let you know how I got on if I remember!
verbum

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: K80
Grinder: Rancilio Md 80
Drip: Rancilio Class 8
Roaster: Caffe River
Posted Mon Jan 12, 2009, 7:33am

The best way to keep roasted coffee fresh within keeping all flavors is bagging coffee and piercing the bag with a little hole. The storing temperature is 25 C degrees. And the storing room must not be humidious. Sealing the coffee keeps the poisionious gases inside the bag.

It's 5-6 months coffee must be consumed after roasting. After 6 months it's not fresh anymore.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Best method of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.229729175568)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+