Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
TDS: PPM vs. percent
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > TDS: PPM vs....  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
WonderClown

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gave away a Saeco Via Veneto...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Drip: Buchner funnel + vacuum...
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Sat May 2, 2009, 10:38am
Subject: TDS: PPM vs. percent

So I just got an HM Digital TDS meter (TDS-3) for other purposes, and decided to test my coffee strength.  I'm reading around 1210ppm.  The SCAA Golden Cup standard, I understand, is 1.25%.  That's suspiciously close, except for an order of magnitude -- 1.25% should be 12500ppm (=12.5ppt=1.25pph).  My coffee is not an order of magnitude weaker than it should be.  Am I wrong that 1% = 1pph = 10ppt = 10,000ppm?

Of course, if I'm right, and I should be reading roughly 12,500ppm for a "gold cup", then that is over the range of my meter.  I would expect it to just read its max, or flash an error code, rather than giving me roughly the reading I expect, except an order of magnitude off.  I found a thread over on coffeed.com where somebody is getting similar readings:

http://www.coffeed.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2418

Anybody care to make some guesses or offer enlightenment?

EDIT: I answered my own question by preparing some salt solutions of different concentrations.  When used with something over its maximum range, instead of reading the max or flashing an error code, it gives a low reading.  It's almost like it "wraps around", which doesn't make much sense for something like this.  Anyway, there you have it, for future reference -- don't use HM Digital TDS meters for measuring coffee directly.  You have to dilute it first to get it into the TDS range of the meter.  (Make sure to dilute with distilled water.)  I haven't tried this yet, but I assume it will work.
 View Profile Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sat May 2, 2009, 11:51am
Subject: Re: TDS: PPM vs. percent

WonderClown Said:

So I just got an HM Digital TDS meter (TDS-3) for other purposes, and decided to test my coffee strength.  I'm reading around 1210ppm.  The SCAA Golden Cup standard, I understand, is 1.25%.  That's suspiciously close, except for an order of magnitude -- 1.25% should be 12500ppm (=12.5ppt=1.25pph).  My coffee is not an order of magnitude weaker than it should be.  Am I wrong that 1% = 1pph = 10ppt = 10,000ppm?

Of course, if I'm right, and I should be reading roughly 12,500ppm for a "gold cup", then that is over the range of my meter.  I would expect it to just read its max, or flash an error code, rather than giving me roughly the reading I expect, except an order of magnitude off.

Posted May 2, 2009 link

You are correct, of course: 1.25% = 12,500 ppm. The SCAA Golden Cup program had been incorrectly saying 1.25% = 1,250 ppm for years until they quietly changed their charts in Atlanta this year.

If you're truly interested in measuring your coffee strength, get a refractometer from George Howell Coffee Company. It will be far more accurate than the conductivity meter.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
WonderClown

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gave away a Saeco Via Veneto...
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Zassenhaus
Drip: Buchner funnel + vacuum...
Roaster: WB Poppery I
Posted Sat May 2, 2009, 11:59am

andys Said:

If you're truly interested in measuring your coffee strength, get a refractometer from George Howell Coffee Company. It will be far more accurate than the conductivity meter.

Posted May 2, 2009 link

I'd be happy to get within +/-10%.  It's definitely not worth $300+ to me for this purpose.  I didn't even buy this meter specifically for coffee, but rather for checking reverse osmosis membrane performance -- I just figured that now that I have a TDS meter, I might as well test my brew strength.  (And the RO filter is not specifically for coffee -- I know that RO tends to produce water softer than you want for coffee.)
sweaner
sweaner
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano, Arrarex Caravel, La...
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, OE Pharos
Drip: Bunn Trifecta MB
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Sat May 2, 2009, 6:55pm

I think our taste buds and olfactory nerves can handle this just fine!

-Scott
“Coffee - the favorite drink of the civilized world.”
Thomas Jefferson
Timmah

Posted Sun May 3, 2009, 2:22am

Wow, that's really getting in-depth.
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Sun May 3, 2009, 3:46am

andys Said:

You are correct, of course: 1.25% = 12,500 ppm. The SCAA Golden Cup program had been incorrectly saying 1.25% = 1,250 ppm for years until they quietly changed their charts in Atlanta this year.

Posted May 2, 2009 link

Interesting that you should say this.  I asked this question during the golden cup certification program and the instructors didn't really seem to know the answer.  

Cheers,

Luca

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
andys
andys

Posted Sun May 3, 2009, 4:54am

Luca Said:

I asked this question during the golden cup certification program and the instructors didn't really seem to know the answer.  

Posted May 3, 2009 link

I'm told that new SCAA Executive Director Ric Reinhart has been aggressive at trying to reform the screwed up Golden Cup program. But change doesn't come easily, even when it's obvious the old program was flawed.

-AndyS
gt

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Cones & CCD
Roaster: P1 w/ variacs
Posted Sun May 3, 2009, 12:29pm

andys Said:

The SCAA Golden Cup program had been incorrectly saying 1.25% = 1,250 ppm for years until they quietly changed their charts in Atlanta this year.

Posted May 2, 2009 link

What else can you say about the chart changes or can you point to info about it?  Thanks gt
andys
andys

Posted Sun May 3, 2009, 1:31pm

gt Said:

What else can you say about the chart changes or can you point to info about it?  Thanks gt

Posted May 3, 2009 link

I wasn't at the show, so I'm just getting this info second hand.

1. I believe the SCAA instructors abandoned the approach of subtracting the ppm of the brew water from the measured ppm of the finished coffee. Although this method is technically correct, the fact that coffees are now correctly measured at ten times what they used to be makes it nearly irrelevant (ie, the old mistaken way: 1300ppm coffee - 200ppm water = 1100ppm extraction; the new correct way: 13,000ppm coffee - 200ppm water = 12,800ppm extraction).
  2. Supposedly the SCAA bought multiple units of Terroir's new software and refractometer, but the Golden Cup instructors stuck to their old inaccurate TDS conductivity meters and continued to use paper charts.

-AndyS
gt

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Virtuoso
Drip: Cones & CCD
Roaster: P1 w/ variacs
Posted Tue May 5, 2009, 9:00am

OK so this explains why I see no difference in my 300ppm hard city water vs distilled water when using my analog refractometer - right?

300/1,000,000 = .0003 = .03%
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > TDS: PPM vs....  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.31742310524)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+