Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Butane Burner for Vac-Pot
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Butane Burner...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JonR10
JonR10
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat May 2, 2009, 4:59pm
Subject: Re: Butane Burner for Vac-Pot

JKalpin Said:

The nozzle on the can is a mismatch to my little burner.  It is too fat to fit in the hole.

Posted May 2, 2009 link

Are you sure?  Could you please post pictures....?

These things should be fairly universal.  I have 3 different types of butane burners and the fat cans work with all of them.  The metal nozzle of the can fits against the metal tube of the burner, and both must then be depressed to open the valves and allow the gas to flow.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sat May 2, 2009, 6:15pm

Hi Jerry,

Great on the sale price of the butane gas! On the top of the lid on the butane gas can, there's a black nozzle that will fit & work. I just tried it out to make sure for you. {;-)

Cheers!

CraigA: Pict0389.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sat May 2, 2009, 6:23pm

If worse came to worst, you could go to a cigar/smoking shop & get a can of butane gas like this one. It has 8 adapter nozzles/fittings.

CraigA: Pict0390.jpg
(Click for larger image)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun May 3, 2009, 5:43am

CraigA Said:

Hi Jerry,

Great on the sale price of the butane gas! On the top of the lid on the butane gas can, there's a black nozzle that will fit & work. I just tried it out to make sure for you. {;-)

Posted May 2, 2009 link

Craig, my cans are called 'MEGA  1 Butane Gas', have a red top but none of them have such a black nozzle.  The outlet nozzle of the can is just a bit to big in diameter to enter the fitting on the bottom of the burner so the burner valve will never open to allow filling.  

Maybe I need to pay a visit to your market.  That would give me a lifetime supply ...!?

Jerry
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Posted Sun May 3, 2009, 5:49am

JonR10 Said:

Are you sure?  Could you please post pictures....?

These things should be fairly universal.  I have 3 different types of butane burners and the fat cans work with all of them.  The metal nozzle of the can fits against the metal tube of the burner, and both must then be depressed to open the valves and allow the gas to flow.

Posted May 2, 2009 link

Jon, The nozzle on my can won't enter the burner hole far enough to engage the little tube (to open the burner valve).  

To test the burner (and it works fine) I bought a 30 ml can of lighter butane for $5.50 (sigh) but threw out the empty can.  I now wonder if that smaller nozzle would have worked with the fat can to let me decant the butane into the empty little can and transfer it to the burner.

Jerry
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Sun May 3, 2009, 6:46am

JKalpin Said:

Craig, my cans are called 'MEGA  1 Butane Gas', have a red top but none of them have such a black nozzle.  The outlet nozzle of the can is just a bit to big in diameter to enter the fitting on the bottom of the burner so the burner valve will never open to allow filling.

Posted May 3, 2009 link

I have some also with the small red top & that's why I bought the ones with the black top as the black plastic adapter fitting is moulded into it & just snaps off for use on all types of butane cans.
No need for you to come out my way Jerry to the Fresh Value market, unless of course you want to check it out though. If you shoot me an email with your address I'll mail the adapter off to you today or on Monday. {;-)

CraigA: Lee Valley microburner1.jpg
(Click for larger image)

JKalpin
JKalpin

Posted Mon May 4, 2009, 9:07am

CraigA Said:

I have some also with the small red top & that's why I bought the ones with the black top as the black plastic adapter fitting is moulded into it & just snaps off for use on all types of butane cans.
No need for you to come out my way Jerry to the Fresh Value market, unless of course you want to check it out though. If you shoot me an email with your address I'll mail the adapter off to you today or on Monday. {;-)

Posted May 3, 2009 link

Craig, I tried to email you my address (your Public email address) - deletethis. ...and had the email refused by the server.

Have you changed your address lately?

Jerry
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Mon May 4, 2009, 9:30am

Jerry, the "deletethis" part has to be physically removed., as that part functions as a Spam trap & makes it unusable to spam bots/email harvesters..

You can also directly click on the email button at the bottom of my/a post too (nothing to take out). {;-)

P.S. Sorry my mistake, I forgot that you'll not see this., as only logged in moderators, Mark P & Wayne V can see them.

CraigA: Lee Valley microburner2.jpg
(Click for larger image)

Crow
Crow
Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: Zass Havanna
Vac Pot: Cona Old no. 2
Roaster: Poppery II
Posted Wed May 6, 2009, 6:29pm

For what it's worth, UPS will ship propane/butane cannister fuel, the US post office will not (HAZ MAT regs).

Each brand/size cannister is tested by UPS. Some pass and some don't. A fee of $25 dollars will or will not be applied to each shipment.

List of cannisters and current UPS HAZMAT status.

I use MSR 4 ounce fuel cannisters in my little coffee syphon heater, bought from the store in the link above, no extra shipping fees charged.

=> These take an adapter, made by Brunton. One end screws on to standard backpack stove fuel canisters, the other end fits cigarette lighter valves like the one on my heater for syphons.

Brunton adaptor:
http://www.camping4less.com/product.asp?specific=jriopqmpcoo

Or maybe I'm off topic here?

Amazon partner sellers have fuel cannisters and the Brunton adaptor too.
EDIT: The Brunton adaptor will fit the standard backpack size fuel canisters, but will NOT fit large camping stove propane cannisters, like for a Coleman camping stove.
_dt_

Grinder: Porkert Manual
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: FreshRoast Plus 8
Posted Fri Jun 5, 2009, 4:06pm

Hi, I know walmart sell nibo lighter refill that fit mini-butane burner under 3$ CAD (2.77 or something I don't remember exactly) for 155g -5.4oz

_dt_: nibo.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Butane Burner...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.391372919083)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+