Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Brim Coffee
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Brim Coffee  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
grapelape

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Apr 14, 2004, 6:52am
Subject: Brim Coffee

Remember that awful Brim coffee?  There was something about it not really being made from coffee beans.  Does anyone know what it was made of?
 View Profile Link to this post
bigmug

Espresso: Nemox Junior
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo
Vac Pot: Bodum eSantos
Drip: Braun
Roaster: hg/db, FreshRoast Plus 8
Posted Wed Apr 14, 2004, 6:58am
Subject: Re: Brim Coffee

Didn't the advertisement say that it was low acid, or was that the line for "Kava", another brand which (I believe) is lost in the mists of time? "Fill it to the rim...with Brim"

Steve
cappajoe

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: '94 Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: Kitchen Aid Classic Plus
Roaster: WBPII
Posted Wed Apr 14, 2004, 7:43am

Perhaps we can start a series of commentaries about truly awful coffee, both past and present.  I am currently rueing the purchase of two pounds of "Pride of Arabia" coffee from Loblaws (Canadian geeks should be well familiar with this brand).  It says 100% Arabica beans, and would appear to be roasted not that long ago, but it is close to the worst coffee I have ever had.  I have tried espresso, drip, and french press, but there is NO FLAVOUR to this "coffee" whatsoever.  The beans could have been made from play-dough and I would get more coffee flavour from them .  It makes simply a hot, brown liquid that leaves me longing for a Folger's!  It reminds me of my favourite "Archie" coffee joke:

Reggie: "Ecch!! This coffee tastes like mud!"

Jughead: "Funny, it was just ground this morning".  

(Get it?  "ground"?  As in "dirt"; "earth"; "soil"?).  That Jughead cracks me up!
koffeekev
koffeekev
Expertise: Professional

Posted Fri Apr 16, 2004, 3:25pm

Sanka anyone?

How about a Folgers coffee single. mmmmmmm!

My wife had the unfortunate luck to be admitted to the hospital for a 6 week stay. This was before I started in the coffee business. The machine in the vending room had this freeze dried crap that was pretty darn good. I looked forward to it nightly. At least it was better than the Folgers singles if I remember correctly.

Doctor, every time I drink coffee I get a sharp pain in my eye. Try removing the spoon from the cup. (Bazooka Joe, circa 1965)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cremaboy
cremaboy

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Kitchenaid Pro 12
Roaster: Peerless Coffee
Posted Fri Apr 16, 2004, 10:57pm

You might be thinking of chicory. It's a common extender in canned coffee. You can get away with a little but greed sets in and things get really bad.

Do you remember Brim pods? They were just like espresso pods only about the size of a jelly donut. One of the early efforts to sell convenience at a hefty profit. Didn't work then but they've gotten better at it.

My contribution for the worst was a coffee service product we once had at work. It was a thick liquid made by brewing coffee and then boiling it down to remove most of the water. It came in a poly bladder inside a cardboard box. The dispensing machine re-diluted it with hot water into your cup. It  tasted like something that had been on the hot plate overnight.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Brim Coffee  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.203722000122)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+