Coffee: Questions and Answers
Has anyone ever tried Don Pablo?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Has anyone ever...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
caffeinedad

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Mar 31, 2010, 4:01pm
Subject: Has anyone ever tried Don Pablo?

He guys I am just getting into coffee in a big way and I have found a kind called Don Pablo at Costco. Has anyone else tried it? do you all have any other suggestions for a mild low acidic coffee? thanks ahead of time guys.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Mar 31, 2010, 9:00pm
Subject: Re: Has anyone ever tried Don Pablo?

Ted, welcome to the CG Forums.
Why not just purchase some, split the bag with a friend. Hopefully, there is a good grinder at your house.
Taste is subjective. What you may like, others may not.
It will not be roasted as freshly as the in store Costco "Seattle" brand. (if your Costco has a roaster)
I believe Don Pablo is from Florida.

For the most part, folks here, and other coffee oriented sites stress purchasing FRESHLY roasted coffee...at least within 10 days if it's for brew (drip/press pot, etc0 and 3-4 days if it's for an espresso machine.

A quality grinder is a MUST. Not a whirly blade or Krups/Braun toy.

Grinding your coffee at the store will destroy it's goodness within a day or less.
You should ALWAYS GRIND AT HOME.
Check out grinders on the Consumer Reviews, under Grinders.
There are several that are excellent general purpose (non espresso) grinders for less than $100.
I'm partial to the Baratza line, as they have excellent customer service, and 2 grinders that can be purchased as refurb (often just a trade show grinder) for under $100.

Good luck.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DonPablo

Posted Sun Apr 4, 2010, 7:41am

Howdy,

I just wanted to clear something up.  We roast to order for Costco, and it ships directly to their DC in one day, and they put it on the shelf that day or the day after at the latest.  No third party distribution system and no large minimum orders.  We only send them what they can sell in 2-3 weeks.  This is part of our unique business model - small batch artisan roasting, 30 kilos at a time (we have multiple small batch roasters), roasted to order.  Additionally we roast in traditional gas fired drum roasters, and our Roast Masters (myself included) have decades of combined experience.  Additionally, we are growers, and only buy coffee from friends and family all over Latin America.  We get the best beans.  For $5.00 a pound, it is an exceptional value.  Thanks to Costco.

Didn't mean for this to sound like an advertisement, I'm just very passionate about producing better quality coffee, at a better price, and would like people to know how we are able to do it.  Thanks.

Darron "Don Pablo" Burke
JR
JR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Sun Apr 4, 2010, 1:39pm

Darron,

Welcome to the site (I see it's your first post!).  I love it when a business owner jumps in with that kind of passion.  Great reply, and since you were responding to questions, you got the chance to showcase your business without breaking the rules here (as best I can tell).

I don't know if my local Costco in Memphis carries your beans, but I plan to find out.

By the way, is there a roast date on the packages, so customers can "keep them honest"?

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
DonPablo

Posted Sun Apr 4, 2010, 2:02pm

Jack,

Yes, your Costco in Memphis should have received their first pallet of Cafe Don Pablo Signature Blend a few days ago.  The roast date is imbedded into the seal at the top of the bag.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks!

Darron
Jazdup
Jazdup

Espresso: Krups
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Krups Moka brew
Drip: Coldbrew using French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Jul 10, 2010, 11:53am

I bought their coffee and thought it was just another coffee.
It didn't have any exceptional flavor, nor any aftertaste at all.

When I was at Costco and talked to the Don Pablo people at their booth about it.
They said to put much more coffee in, than the usual amount.

By doing that it merely made it a bitter and strong coffee without any flavor or aftertaste.
Just my .02.
DonPablo

Posted Tue Aug 31, 2010, 3:17pm

Jazdup,

I read your comment the day that you posted it, and I was going to leave it alone, but I found it haunting me.  We work very, very hard to make sure our coffee does not taste like any other.  We live for positive feedback on our product, and get it about 99% of the time.  Its unsettling to see the 1% immortalized on the Web.

Any negative feedback is usually traced back to grinding, brewing, or storage, but as you are a Coffee Geek, I imagine you've got that all figured out.

You should know that we scored 90 points for our coffee at coffeereview.com (Tres Mujeres, or "three women" is the same as the Signature Blend that we sell at Costco).  We scored higher than any nationally distributed coffee brand.  The review is below, and you can also find it at http://www.coffeereview.com/review.cfm?ID=1176.

We are also the number one selling coffee wherever our product is sold, beating all other brands.  We ship coffee all over the US and even to Northern California where there is no shortage of roasters.  We've also had people take our coffee back to Germany and Italy with them - and as you probably know both of those countries have been drinking great coffee since the beginning.

A lot of effort goes into making sure that we are not just another coffee; better beans, smaller roasters, and much fresher.  Please give us another try.

COFFEE REVIEW
The worlds leading coffee buying guide

Reviews Articles Reference  
ADVANCED SEARCH
HIGHEST RATED COFFEES
DISCOVERIES
90 Cafe Don Pablo
North Miami Beach, Florida
Tres Mujeres Blend
Roast: Medium Review Date: February 2006
Origin: Colombia, Guatemala, Brazil Price: NA  

Blind Assessment: Sweetly intense, balanced aroma, with milk chocolate, cedar and ripe tomato notes. In the cup the acidity is sweet and well-integrated, the body full and mouthfeel supple, and the flavor quite sweet, with chastened but still rich complication: semi-sweet chocolate, ripe tomato, and a round, low-acid fruit that suggested banana. The finish is cocoa-toned and slightly though warmly astringent.

Notes: A classic blend of coffees from three distinguished Latin American origins. Cafe Don Pablo is produced by Burke Brands, a small-batch wholesale roasting company, and is designed to appeal to both the Hispanic and the general specialty markets. Visit www.cafedonpablo.com or call 877-436-6722 for more information.

Who Should Drink It: This reincarnation of the great American pre-robusta breakfast blends is a fine, versatile, all-around, all-day sort of cup.

Additional Rating Notes
AROMA: 9
ACIDITY: 8
BODY: 8
FLAVOR: 8
AFTERTASTE: 7
AGTRON: 53/68

Write a Review| Email to a Friend| Display Print Version| Read Related Article
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Sep 5, 2010, 9:22pm

Darron, your wrote

DonPablo Said:

I just wanted to clear something up.

Posted April 4, 2010 link

OK, so do I . . .

First of all, I have never had your coffee; my comments/observations are based solely on your posts.  Secondly, don't take it personally, but

DonPablo Said:

Didn't mean for this to sound like an advertisement

it does sound exactly like an advertisement.  (Sorry.)

DonPablo Said:

We roast to order for Costco, and it ships directly to their DC in one day, and they put it on the shelf that day or the day after at the latest.  No third party distribution system and no large minimum orders.  We only send them what they can sell in 2-3 weeks.

1)  Most of us would never buy coffee 2-3 weeks old.  2)  I have no idea what you mean by large minimum orders -- again, most of us buy direct from the roaster, and can buy 1/2-pound, 1-pound, 1-kilo . . . whatever volume we wish.

DonPablo Said:

This is part of our unique business model - small batch artisan roasting, 30 kilos at a time (we have multiple small batch roasters), roasted to order.

Not exactly what I would call "small batch artisan roasting," but to each his own . . .

DonPablo Said:

Jazdup . . . (a)ny negative feedback is usually traced back to grinding, brewing, or storage, but as you are a Coffee Geek, I imagine you've got that all figured out.

Posted August 31, 2010 link

So, in other words, you're saying it's "Jazdup's" fault because he's either grinding, or brewing or storing your otherwise perfect, excellent coffee beans incorrectly?  Oh.

DonPablo Said:

. . . we scored 90 points for our coffee at coffeereview.com (Tres Mujeres, or "three women" is the same as the Signature Blend that we sell at Costco).  We scored higher than any nationally distributed coffee brand.

Actually other nationally distributed coffee brands have scored 90 points or higher, but that's neither here nor there.  Congratulations on your 90 points.  Of course, then again, your 90-point rating was back in February 2006, and has absolutely NO relevance to what you're putting in a bag today.

DonPablo Said:

The review is below . . .

Doesn't that violate copyright?

DonPablo Said:

We are also the number one selling coffee wherever our product is sold, beating all other brands.  We ship coffee all over the US and even to Northern California where there is no shortage of roasters.  We've also had people take our coffee back to Germany and Italy with them - and as you probably know both of those countries have been drinking great coffee since the beginning.

This is pure advertising, and -- no offense Darron, but so what?  You're losing points here, not winning anyone over.  "Since the beginning?"  P-u-u-u-u-l-l-l-l-l-e-e-e-e-e-e-z-z-z-e.

DonPablo Said:

A lot of effort goes into making sure that we are not just another coffee; better beans, smaller roasters, and much fresher.

"Better beans"? How so?  "Smaller roasters"?  Not really.  "Much fresher"?  Not if it's 2-3 weeks old when I get it.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
DonPablo

Posted Mon Sep 6, 2010, 3:57am

Jason,

Please forgive me, I was just trying to paticipate in this forum.  I thought I might have something valuable to offer.  I will now leave it to you and your fellow Coffee Geeks.  Take care.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Sep 6, 2010, 6:53am

DonPablo Said:

Please forgive me, I was just trying to paticipate in this forum.  I thought I might have something valuable to offer.  I will now leave it to you and your fellow Coffee Geeks.  Take care.

Posted September 6, 2010 link

Clearly, Darron, you have missed the point completely . . .

You probably do have some very valuable and worthwhile things to offer.  Indeed, there are MANY retailers of equipment and roasters who participate here regularly, and are highly treasured members of the community.  But everything they write is not a self-promotional advertisement for their own product.  And sadly that has been the tenor of your posts in this thread.  (I mean, how else would you describe posting a four-year old review of your own product?)

I, for one, hope you stick around.  Your experience as a roaster, as CEO of Burke Brands, could indeed be a valuable contribution to our community . . . but if you want to advertise, I suggest you contact Mark Prince about his rates for banner ads and the like.

Cheers,
Jason

P.S.  As long as we're talking product, is there a reason you didn't answer any of my questions?  Seriously. HOW are your beans "better"?  HOW are they "much fresher"?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Has anyone ever...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.359033107758)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+