Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
First try at backflushing and descaling Gaggia Classic - some questions
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > First try at...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
coffeebear

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic, naked pf
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly, used
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: none
Posted Tue Jun 15, 2010, 3:07pm
Subject: First try at backflushing and descaling Gaggia Classic - some questions

The user manual describes how to descale the machine, which ought to be pretty routine. But as for backflushinig, Gaggia does not approve. I'm about to try both procedures anyway, following directions given on this and other web sites, such as "Espresso Machine Cleaning and Maintenance" on home-barista.com.
Some questions before I dive in:

- I have Cleancaf for descaling. Gaggia says to use their own descalant, but I don't find it for sale online. Whole Latte Love's maintenance guide lists Cleancaf as OK for Gaggias. Is that right? Is it safe for the aluminum boiler?
- I have Cafiza for backflushing. Would another cleaner be better than Cafiza for this machine? Is there any danger of the backflush solution getting into the boiler, despite the 3-way solenoid?
- How hot should the water be for each procedure? Should it heat to brewing temperature, or should I just turn on the machine and start from room temperature? (It will heat up pretty fast anyway: I don't know if the pump can be turned on without the the heating element turned on too.)
- I also plan to remove the shower screen and gasket and clean the head with a brush. What sequence should these three operations (descaling, backflush, manual cleaning) be done in, or does it matter?

Thanks for good advice in the past. Because of it, I've quit using distilled water.
 View Profile Link to this post
gime2much

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni, Astoria comm, 2...
Grinder: La Pavoni Zip, Bunn...
Drip: Bunn comm
Roaster: Popcorn popper (air),co/ufo
Posted Tue Jun 15, 2010, 6:09pm
Subject: Re: First try at backflushing and descaling Gaggia Classic - some questions

First go join the user group, Yahoo/Groups/Gaggia. Then take the time to read THIS how to guide. It's a piece of cake but if you still have questions please check back.

Dan Brewer
coffeebear

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic, naked pf
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly, used
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Melitta
Roaster: none
Posted Tue Jun 15, 2010, 9:05pm
Subject: Re: First try at backflushing and descaling Gaggia Classic - some questions

Thanks for the advice, Dan. That article is really helpful; it talks about the water temperature, says Cafiza is OK to use, and warns about not letting descalant touch the parts that touch coffee, among a lot of other guidance. It may be all the info I need. I viewed a Gaggia user group sometime back but got turned off by sniping among the participants and since then have relied mostly on coffeegeek and home-barista. I need to visit user group sites more often.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > First try at...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.167033910751)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+