Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Planetary Airscape Storage Container (for coffee beans)
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Planetary...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
KaraLynn

Expertise: Just starting

Drip: Cuisinart DCC-455
Posted Sat Jan 22, 2011, 8:06am
Subject: Planetary Airscape Storage Container (for coffee beans)

I just bought this but haven't used it yet.  I thought it may be a good idea to store coffee beans.  Does anyone have one?  I just wondered if this would save me from buying a Food Vacuum Sealer and freezing the beans.  Just wanted opinions on it.  I bought the 64 oz and there is a black lid that pushes down to the top of the level of beans (or whatever you store in it) and then a handle flips down to lock the air out.  Then a clear lid with a seal goes on top.  Is this okay or should I still be freezing the beans.

Looked at a vacuum sealer, and though pricey, wondering where to put all this stuff as there is very limited counter space in the kitchen.  What should I do?
 View Profile Link to this post
Beckett

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 1:11pm
Subject: Re: Planetary Airscape Storage Container (for coffee beans)

Excellent storage.
Never, ever, ever freeze your coffee! ;)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 1:29pm

KaraLynn Said:

I just bought this but haven't used it yet.  I thought it may be a good idea to store coffee beans.  Does anyone have one?  I just wondered if this would save me from buying a Food Vacuum Sealer and freezing the beans.  Just wanted opinions on it.  I bought the 64 oz and there is a black lid that pushes down to the top of the level of beans (or whatever you store in it) and then a handle flips down to lock the air out.  Then a clear lid with a seal goes on top.  Is this okay or should I still be freezing the beans.

Looked at a vacuum sealer, and though pricey, wondering where to put all this stuff as there is very limited counter space in the kitchen.  What should I do?

Posted January 22, 2011 link

Any airtight container will become pressurized by the natural degassing of fresh roasted coffee beans rendering it useless.  I always freeze my fresh roasted beans right away and noticed that the degassing process is inhibited by the freezing process.  Once I take the beans out of the freezer they will then start to degas as if they were just roasted.  I really do not see what the issue of freezing, when done properly, is.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 1:57pm

Beckett Said:

Excellent storage.
Never, ever, ever freeze your coffee! ;)

Posted April 18, 2014 link

I can't say anything about the container but I have found that when done properly, freezing is an EXCELLENT way to get a little more time from your fresh roast coffee beans. A lot of others feel the same way too.

A few people say they can taste the difference. A lot can not taste any difference, try it and see for yourself.

Freeze in small lots, enough to use in a few days.  Remove as much air as possible, (I use freezer bags) and place in the coldest part of the freezer.

Remove only a single bag at a time and do not open it until it reaches room temp to avoid moisture from forming on the beans. Use them in a few days.

They will still continue to age in the freezer but at a much slower rate.

YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Apr 18, 2014, 2:00pm

calblacksmith Said:

I can't say anything about the container but I have found that when done properly, freezing is an EXCELLENT way to get a little more time from your fresh roast coffee beans. A lot of others feel the same way too.

A few people say they can taste the difference. A lot can not taste any difference, try it and see for yourself.

Freeze in small lots, enough to use in a few days.  Remove as much air as possible, (I use freezer bags) and place in the coldest part of the freezer.

Remove only a single bag at a time and do not open it until it reaches room temp to avoid moisture from forming on the beans. Use them in a few days.

They will still continue to age in the freezer but at a much slower rate.

YMMV!

+1 Wayne!! :D

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Apr 21, 2014, 7:59am

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Any airtight container will become pressurized by the natural degassing of fresh roasted coffee beans rendering it useless.

Len,

Without disputing yours, our experience is other. We store a lot of coffee in Coffeevacs and find they slow the aging/staling continuum by about a third, compared to storing in containers which aren't airtight.

We also bag and store in sealed bags with one way valves, and find they work about as well, plus are more convenient for storing.  The downsides of bagging are that bagging requires an impulse sealer ($30) bags aren't reusable -- at least not more than once; bags aren't cheap; ordinary bags generate a tremendous amount of  waste; and biodegradable, compostable bags are less cheap still -- about 50cts a bag  when everything's said and done.

Rich
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Apr 21, 2014, 8:36am
Subject: Re: Planetary Airscape Storage Container

KaraLynn Said:

I just bought ... the 64 oz... Is this okay or should I still be freezing the beans.

Posted January 22, 2011 link

My wife and I have a bunch of Coffeevac containers which we use for storing and aging the ten pounds or so I roast per week.  We've been using them for about a year now, and believe airtight containers work to slow the aging and staling processes by about a third.  There's no reason the Airscape design shouldn't work as well.  

You want a container at least a little larger than a "tight fit," so there's room for the beans to outgas.  However, 64oz is too large for ordinary home use, although the "adjustable" nature of the Airscape might make it workable.  

The full 1lb size Coffeevac is too big for most folks' freezers; but the 1/2lb size Coffevac isn't bad.  FWIW, Coffeevacs are washable and indefinitely reusable.  

Vacuum sealing doesn't work as well as storing airtight or storing in the kind of disposable, valved bags that roasters use.  

Bags might be your best option.  

I'm attaching a picture which shows two 1lb Coffeevacs (green and brown) and two different kinds of valved bags.  The black foil bag (tape label), is the kind most commonly used; they're easy to find and not too expensive.  The brown bag with our Skulking Cat label is completely compostable  (60 days, about; the Avery labels are biodegradable as well) and expensive.  You can find zip top, valved, foil/plastic bags, but both of my bag types require an impulse sealer ($30, and something else to store).

Hope this helps,
Rich

boar_d_laze: Coffee Bags Coffeevacs.jpg
(Click for larger image)
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Apr 22, 2014, 9:24am

KaraLynn, the Airscape looks nice to me.

You can't avoid oxygen entirely of course. The Airscape is good since like an airtight bag it reduces in volume to the size that the beans are occupying. However the beans have air space in between them, probably something in the neighborhood of 50%. That is, 1 liter of beans is something like half a liter of air. In addition, every time you open the container you introduce fresh air. So the oxygen is unavoidable but at least the Airscape minimizes it. I was thinking of buying one but it seemed a little expensive to me. I just use an ordinary jar for beans kept at room temperature.

I keep almost all of my coffee in bags in the freezer.
brianl

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic (w/PID)
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: chemex
Posted Mon May 5, 2014, 12:10pm

I have two of these and they are great. Then again, I don't do long term storage. I basically roast, or buy, what i'm going to consume and store it in there. I was never one for making excess and freezing it, i'd rather just leave the bean green.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Planetary...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.306349039078)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+