Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Distilled water
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Distilled water  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
robertl
robertl
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun Jan 23, 2011, 9:22am
Subject: Distilled water

Is distilled water acceptable for making coffee? At my work we have a distilled water cooler or tap water and I can never make good coffee at work. I'm grinding fresh beans and using a Melitta BCM-4 but the coffee always has an odd taste. I've used the same brewer at home with the same beans and made great coffee so I'm now thinking its the water. If you agree then what bottled water would you suggest I use?
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Jan 23, 2011, 10:30am
Subject: Re: Distilled water

According to the SCAA, distilled water will not taste good for coffee. This post on H-B covers that recent publication. As for the preferred bottled water, it will likely be regional. You might pick up a TDS meter, and test some of your regional bottled waters to see if you can find one that measures around 150 mg/l. This one at Amazon is $21 shipped, and gets good reviews. Also pick up some calibration solution. This eBay Seller sells that meter with a pack of calibration solution for $17 shipped.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
s0ckeyeus

Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011, 7:41am

You could try running tap water through a Brita.

"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons" - T.S. Eliot
lost

Grinder: Baratza Maestro,Mazzer Super...
Vac Pot: Elec. Sunbeam, Cory,...
Drip: Newco, Clever Dripper,...
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011, 7:54pm

distilled water cooler ????

I hope you are not drinking it.
I believe that if you dig further, you will find that the long term consumption of distilled water can be hazardous to your health............something about leaching vital minerals from your body.
robertl
robertl

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011, 8:09pm

Wow I didn't know that about distiller water I'll have to look into it thanks. Today I brought in Ozarka water for my coffee and it was great! I'll have to get a meter and do comparisons of the bottled water available locally. And if the distilled water is bad for you maybe I can get the company to switch back to Ozarka problem solved!!!
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Mon Jan 24, 2011, 8:29pm

dana_leighton Said:

According to the SCAA, distilled water will not taste good for coffee. This post on H-B covers that recent publication. As for the preferred bottled water, it will likely be regional. You might pick up a TDS meter, and test some of your regional bottled waters to see if you can find one that measures around 150 mg/l. This one at Amazon is $21 shipped, and gets good reviews. Also pick up some calibration solution. This eBay Seller sells that meter with a pack of calibration solution for $17 shipped.

Posted January 23, 2011 link

Just make sure you are doing the reading at room temps; both water and coffee or your readings will be way, way off.  I have found (just an early observation) that the higher the TDS of the water, the less propotionately the coffee solids will increase once the coffee is brewed.  Harder water => less coffee solids in the cup.  Early observation only.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
omario

Posted Tue Feb 22, 2011, 2:55pm

ok I asked a similar question elsewhere but probably should have posted it here.

We have filtered water, by way of reverse osmosis. I understand that it is makes for a very pure type of water. Is this the wrong kind of water to make coffee with?
Chang94598

Posted Tue Feb 22, 2011, 11:01pm

Both distilled and reverse osmosis water are not suitable for coffee. The lack of ions makes coffee fiber swell and impedes water flow. For this reason, extraction will be unnecessarily prolonged (for the same grind particle size) and coffee will taste bitter.

For similar reason, ion exchanged soft water, replacing calcium with sodium, will also swell the coffee fiber, even if TDS can be similar.

TDS meter readings should be done at manufacturer's recommended temperature. Room temperature is generally acceptable. When the reading is taken at higher temperature, the value is adjusted with software and not true TDS. For the inexpensive price, it is not a bad deal, consider human ability to distinguish minute different TDS is the limiting factor.

If one must use distilled water, consider buying reagent grade electrolytes from chemistry supply manufacturer, jewelry's scale, and TDS meter to make "ideal" coffee water.
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Feb 23, 2011, 12:08pm

Ok so now I am concearned. We  are on well that test clean and good every year but we dont drink that water because it is hard and has its own taste. So we have been drinking "distilled water with minerals added" for years. It taste great and when I check it with a hardness strip it tints the strip just little bit but its enough to register on the strip. Thoughts on that kind of water? If you have to build your own water were "reagent grade electrolytes from chemistry supply manufacturer, jewelry's scale, and TDS meter to make ideal coffee water" how would you go about it and were is the proportions etc?

THanks

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jun 16, 2011, 8:17am
Subject: ...

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Distilled water  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.26872587204)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+