Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
French press grind
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > French press...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Eric052492

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011, 12:19pm
Subject: French press grind

Hey everyone.  First time poster, however, I've been browsing this site for quite a long time.  Here's my question.  I'm just starting to use a french press to brew my coffee and through a bit of experimentation, I think I may have finally found the proper grind.  The only thing is, I think it looks way too coarse.  I wanted to get some opinions and make sure that I'm getting the full flavor out of my coffee.  I'll post some pictures below.  Thanks in advanced!

Click Here (imageshack.us)
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011, 2:34pm
Subject: .

Eric052492

Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011, 3:00pm
Subject: Re: French press grind

Thanks for the response.  I was not able to get a hold of a mm ruler so I took some pictures using coins as references.  It seems as if some of the grounds are the proper size but there are also some boulders thrown in there too.  I still get a small amount of sludge at the bottom of my cup which makes me think that the sizes can't be that off.

These are two more pictures after I brought the grind down to the lowest "french press" setting my grinder has, which by the way is a Cuisinart conical burr grinder.
CraigJS

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza M plus
Drip: filter cone, FP, Moka
Posted Wed Aug 10, 2011, 6:12pm

In image 11, I like to use the size in the 3:00 to 8:00 areas.
Netphilosopher

Posted Thu Aug 11, 2011, 7:30am
Subject: .

Eric052492

Posted Thu Aug 11, 2011, 4:35pm

I actually have the next step up from the $40 dollar grinder.  I purchased the cbm-18n conical burr grinder off of Amazon.com for $100 (they say retail is $185).  My grinder before this was a $60 Krups burr grinder which was nowhere near coarse enough for French Press.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Thu Aug 11, 2011, 6:07pm

I have that grinder too - I like it except for some static (run a strip of metal wire or foil into the container so the grounds pass close or touch as they fall into the container to discharge the static) but the grinding is OK for press, drip, etc and espresso in a pinch but isn't designed for grinding that fine a particle size long term.

I would grind only a little coarser than drip (the middle setting between coarse and fine on mine works OK for press for my tastes) since the majority of the grounds will be too large to get past the screen filter on the press.  The fines will be about the same, maybe a little less than the coarser settings, and the coffee will taste better.  Back off on the steep time if it gets too strong using a smaller grind.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
Eric052492

Posted Fri Aug 12, 2011, 2:45pm

Ok, so today I tried bringing the grind down to the middle of the recommended "drip brew" grind.  The coffee definitely had a much better flavor and the sludge at the bottom was relatively minimal.  Here are a few pictures.  

This picture is an example of the finest my grinder will go in the drip grind category.  I will try this next time I use my press and see how it turns out.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > French press...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.203454017639)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+