Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
The rules of 15 (again?)
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > The rules of 15...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Coffeemickey

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Johnston Star
Drip: Mr. Coffee
Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011, 6:02am
Subject: The rules of 15 (again?)

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is worth a new post, but here's my question:

The rules of freshness are (in reverse)..Drink it within 15 minutes of grinding.....brew it within 15 days of roasting... and roast it within 15 months of ???

Is the 15 month period generally accepted as measured from bean harvest, green bean processing (cleaning, drying, sorting, etc at the source), shipping date from the source country, receipt in this country, initial store date (presumably in an underground cave in Kansas), or when?

Maybe, none of these dates are readily accessible to geeks like us, but what do you think?

For fine Panama Coffee, try
www.PanamaPacificCoffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011, 6:43am
Subject: Re: The rules of 15 (again?)

Babbie's Rule of Fifteens:
  • Green (unroasted) coffee beans should be roasted within 15 months, or they go stale.
  • Roasted coffee beans should be ground within 15 days, or they go stale.
  • Ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes, or it goes stale.
  • Extracted coffee should be served within 15 seconds.

I'd say within 15 months of harvest.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
 View Profile Link to this post
SteveRhinehart
SteveRhinehart
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: 1970s La Pavoni Europiccola
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 3-cup
Drip: Chemex, CCD, Kalita Wave,...
Roaster: Flavorwave/Stir Crazy
Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011, 8:03pm

I've never quite been clear on this either, but I've seen a few mentions of "bagging" or shipping, as in, just after processing. I don't follow the "15" here though, I try to keep it less than 6 months. Any longer than that, and I'm probably just collecting green I may not get to, since I keep buying more and more seasonal stuff.

Also, for the record, it's Babbie's rule, note the i. At least, according to Google it is.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Mon Aug 29, 2011, 10:57pm

SteveRhinehart Said:

...it's Babbie's rule, note the i. At least, according to Google it is.

Posted August 29, 2011 link

You're absolutely right there, of course: expert barista Chris Babbie from Tucson, AZ.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
GlennM

Posted Wed Sep 7, 2011, 9:36am

Hi Babbie,
Any thoughts on how the rule of 15 might change with respect to roasted but frozen coffee beans?
Thanks!
Glenn
Psyd
Psyd

Espresso: Astoria Argenta SAE II,...
Grinder: Rio and Astoria (Mazzer)...
Posted Mon Jan 28, 2013, 9:27pm

I freeze in four ounce, airtight jars, filled as full as I can get them without crushing more than one bean when closing the lid. I freeze within three days of roasting, and use within three days of opening the jar. I let the jar come to room temp before opening, to keep water from condensing on the beans.
This is a technique pioneered by another expert barista and roaster and engineer o H-B, and I poached it. My faulty memory wants me to say it was John Weiss. That could be erroneous.
AFAICT, this is allowing me to use the beans as if they were within the fifteen day from roasting window. I recently handed three of those jars to a local roaster's barista staff, one that had been roasted three days ago, another that had been roasted six weeks prior and kept frozen at 28 -31 degrees F after three days, and another that had been treated exactly as the other six week old beans, with the exception that it remained at between 60 and 66 degrees F.
I have yet to hear back from them.
Soon.

http://members.cox.net/gearsale/Astoria
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > The rules of 15...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230101823807)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+