Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
How to wean my wife off sugar in her coffee
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > How to wean my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MARIOBARBA
MARIOBARBA
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Ascaso DUO Prof TRONIC
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sat Mar 3, 2012, 6:19pm
Subject: How to wean my wife off sugar in her coffee

My wife likes coffee (so she says).  She drinks pre-ground Folgers brewed in a Cuisinart coffee maker.  She puts two teaspoons of sugar in her coffee.  I only drink and have only ever drank espresso (without sugar) so I do not know what a good cup of regular coffee (I am not even sure what to call regular coffee so forgive my ignorance) should taste like.  If regular is anything like espresso, the Folgers is probably the weakest link, followed by the brew method.  I also hypothesize that the two sugars are to mask the flavour of stale, poorly brewed coffee.  My thinking is that if I can get her to taste good coffee she may not need the sugar.

Can someone suggest a coffee and brew method that can help wean my wife off sugar in her coffee.  I have a Vario so grinding fresh is definitely an option.  I would be willing to invest moderately in a new brewer if required (for french press, aeropress, etc.)

Thanks guys
 View Profile Link to this post
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Mar 3, 2012, 6:37pm
Subject: Re: How to wean my wife off sugar in her coffee

French press is a good choice but sometimes foreign to those who drink drip all the time-- you have to clean up the messy grounds.  I would suggest to just use the existing coffee maker but the problem is that the water temps are not hot enough.  You might want to try a hot brewer like the Technivorm if you are willing to invest in one.  A much cheaper alternative is the Clever Coffee Dripper.  It makes one cup at a time but uses a paper #4 filter and has a similar clean-up convenience to a drip maker, but you have to make each cup and it doesn't heat the water for you.  That would be good for an experiment, about $15 from Sweet Maria's.

I have found a problem with the Vario in that it doesn't make a good grind for drip.  Maybe it's just mine, but the grind tends to be "dusty" and makes the cup astringent.  It will grind coarse enough but I don't like the brew that I get with it.  Instead now I have a Preciso and I really like the brews from that.  I'm not suggesting a new grinder, but I'm saying that you may have to work harder to get a brew that you like out of the Vario.

You don't mention dairy, so I assume she doesn't use it.  Dairy in coffee makes it a different drink.  People who use dairy have a much harder time going without, because it's not the same beverage.  Sugar is a little easier, but still coffee with sugar is still a different experience from black.  The way I got myself off sugar was this: before putting the sugar in, I tasted it without the sugar for one or two sips.  Eventually I tried to drink more.   Now I can drink without sugar when I want to, as long as the coffee is good.

However, she has to want to do this herself.  It's her coffee, her experience, maybe she'll wind up sticking with the sugar.  I encourage you to let this be her experiment, and if she wants to go back to sugar don't fret too much.  She's not making you drink it, at least :-)

Donald Varona
xeonsamari
xeonsamari
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: bezzera Medea
Grinder: compak k3 touch
Drip: bunn Velocity
Posted Sat Mar 3, 2012, 8:51pm

Salt in the sugar container should do the trick ;P But seriously if you like the espresso and have the ability to produce good tasting espresso then try getting her hooked on Americanos (espresso on water) I havent taken sugar in my coffee since I was twelve but I think she will find it easier to drink without sugar. The Cuisinart coffee maker she is using wont get the water to the right temperature to brew a great cup of any coffee, at least to its full potential anyway. A bun or similar maker that brew at 200 degrees would greatly improve the quality of the coffee she drinks and eliminate some of the bitterness created by the current brewer. My final suggestion, kind of in connection with the above one, is better coffee fresh ground every time you brew. It may take a while but she will eventually come over to the dark side. Good luck haha.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012, 7:39am

It depends on what she likes about coffee.

I was a wee bit older, 16, when I stopped putting milk in my coffee. I've never added sugar. I drank someone else's once on accident that added sugar and almost gagged.

I would ask her why she drinks coffee? Is it only for the caffeine? Does she even like the taste?

If she says she sorta likes it, buy a better store bought brew and see if she likes it better? Why, because I don't want you to waste time on junking the pot if she's still going to put folgers in it. Try the Americano. If she doesn't like it, but likes the better store bought brew, go to a whole bean store bought brew and pre grind a bit for her every day. If she cuts back on the sugar, then invest in a new pot. I recommend a Bonavita. They are decently priced, $150 for the metal carafe, and make very good coffee.

Do not expect her to give it up at once, wean her.

If all she wants is something hot and caffeinated, and she really doesn't like coffee (I have an ex like that), it maybe that hot, sweet and a buzz is what she wants. And if that's the case, you will never get her off sugaring coffee. (unless she artificially sweetens it, worse imho). You might get her to drink a latte, or a mocha without it being any more sweet but she has to like coffee and like what better coffee can be.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
robertl
robertl

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012, 8:18am

May I ask why you want to wean your wife off sugar? Is it because you believe that it is not proper to drink sugar in coffee? I know a lot of people feel that way but I for one don't really care. If I make someone a cup of my home roasted specialty coffee and they put sugar in it so what? Who am I to tell them how they like their coffee. I know I know good coffee doesn't need sugar but if a person puts sugar in their coffee should you tell them that is wrong? I don't mind people seeing me a coffee geek but I don't want to be called a coffee snob. I don't want to isolated the rest of the coffee drinking public by telling them they are making their coffee the "wrong" way. My wife refuses to give up her drip machine that I got a few years ago as a freebie from Gevalia and she puts sugar in her coffee. That said she can still tell the difference in Folgers, Maxwell House or specialty coffee. So I say make your wife good coffee if she puts sugar in it so what. If she can tell the difference and likes specialty coffee then continue to buy it for her.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012, 8:37am

robertl Said:

May I ask why you want to wean your wife off sugar?

Posted March 4, 2012 link

Agreed . . . what possible difference does it make to you (the OP) how your wife, or anyone else, drinks their coffee?

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012, 9:09am

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Agreed . . . what possible difference does it make to you (the OP) how your wife, or anyone else, drinks their coffee?

Posted March 4, 2012 link

Agreed, it's not like we are talking about smothering BBQ sauce on well smoked meats, this will always result in me boiling their food and smoking it with a ton of Hickory just like all the crappy BBQ they apparently love. Lol.
MARIOBARBA
MARIOBARBA

Espresso: Ascaso DUO Prof TRONIC
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012, 9:11am

So, it actually isn't me who wants to get her off the sugar, but her.  For the last 18months my wife has been monitoring her caffeine intake (pregnancy and nursing of our 10 month old).  In two months time we will be weaning my daughter off the breast and so there is no longer anything to keep my wife from "drinking coffee all day" (her words).  2 teaspoons of  sugar times 6-7 cups of coffee/day = a lot of sugar.  She and I don't think that is a great idea since her father and her grandmother on her mother's side are both sugar diabetics.

So, that brings me back to the original question.

Judging from the responses so far, I gather that the coffee is less important than I originally thought and that the brewer may be the weakest link? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Let me ask this, what is the pinnacle of drip coffee?  I mean, in the espresso world, I know what exceptional espresso is supposed to taste like, I have had it at cafes and coffee bars for years and there espresso I make at home rivals that.  What is the equal in the drip world?  What do you guys aspire to have your coffee taste like?  If it is Tim Horton's, Dunkin Donuts or McD's we can stop here cause my wife sugars that coffee as well.  
She also finds the need to sugar the lattes I make her and the lattes we get at a place with the reputation of having one of the best lattes in Montreal.
robertl
robertl

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012, 9:35am

I think the coffee is just as important as the machine if you start with bad coffee there is no machine that can make it good. I think if you poll the group on the pinnacle of coffee you will get many different answers. It really depends on the person some people like bright coffee and some don't some like dry processed fruity coffee and some don't. There are so many different flavors from so many different regions that is a really difficult question if not impossible to answer. I would actually recommend starting her on something leaning towards comfort coffee lower acidity chocolatey and maybe nutty. I have not tried it yet but Deep Cello offers samples for very cheap. Their Black Tie blend gets good reviews and their High Jump Blend sounds good. You could also try ROASTe they offer a lot of coffee from different roasters. Then there is always the list of roasters from HB.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
germantownrob
germantownrob

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sun Mar 4, 2012, 9:38am

The coffee beans being used do matter, crap beans will always be crap beans no matter what. I will add sugar to stale poorly grown beans if I am going to drink it. Good beans brewed proper have many great flavors that are bean and region dependant, this would help her to wean off so much sugar. A soda can has around 6 teaspoons of sugar per 12oz, 4bite sized pieces of candy have around 2 teaspoons, 8oz of fat free milk has around 1.5 teaspoons, it can be a real challenge to limit sugar intake unless you check out everything  consumed then choices can be made to where and when a person wants sugar.

Milk properly stretched gets sweeter and sweeter, this may be a a way she can compromise how much sugar she adds to a latte.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > How to wean my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281930923462)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+