Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Road Trip (OR to WI) - Coffee stops needed!
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Road Trip (OR to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
zerogeek

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Apr 9, 2012, 11:04pm
Subject: Road Trip (OR to WI) - Coffee stops needed!

I am planning a road trip from Portland, OR to Appleton, WI in June.  The trip will take me the following route:
I-84 East to eastern OR
US-395 North to Spokane
I-90 East to Billings, MT
I-94 East to Wisconsin (I have taken the southern I-94 route many times, just changing it up)

Once I leave I-94 in WI, I'm near family and have knowledge of decent shops.  I hope that the forums here can suggest decent coffee stops along the trail!  I will bring beans and a hand grinder, but would love to find a bunch of interesting shops to grab a latte along the way.

Where have you been?
 View Profile Link to this post
BrianFoster
BrianFoster
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Dalla Corte Evolution,...
Grinder: Maestro, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: V60s, Woodneck, Chemex,...
Roaster: Primo PRI20
Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012, 5:23pm
Subject: Re: Road Trip (OR to WI) - Coffee stops needed!

We're about 20-30 minutes north of 94 in Ramsey Minnesota, but you can stop by our roastery if thats not too much of a detour.  We have an espresso machine, just about every brewer there is, and some of the best, freshest coffee around.

Otherwise Blue Ox is just south of 94 in South Minneapolis (http://blueoxcoffeecompany.com/), and Dogwood is in Uptown (http://www.dogwoodcoffee.com).

Brian Foster
Paradise Coffee Roasters
www.paradiseroasters.com
@paradiseroaster
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigJS

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza M plus
Drip: filter cone, FP, Moka
Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012, 7:05pm

Give Brian a stop. They roast SUPER beans. Quickly becoming my "go to" supplier. Super quick shipping, flat rate.
CraigJS in White Bear Lake.

http://www.paradiseroasters.com/
zerogeek

Posted Tue Apr 10, 2012, 7:47pm

Brian... I'm adding you to my list!  Love to see that one of the sites has the Coava Kone pictured.  Coava is my favorite local roaster right now (Their Honduras - Benjamin Miranda is my favorite!).  

If I get a good idea of timing when heading through, I'd love to set up a time to meet you!  My wife added a day to our trip to make sure I have time to make it to spots that aren't right off the highway :)  I just worry about finding spots in MT and ND - hate to lose the opportunity over that many miles.
thedotben
thedotben
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012, 2:54pm

If you're through Minneapolis/St. Paul make sure to stop at Kopplin's Coffee. I know some of the other shops in the area are bigger named, but Kopplins is simply the best of the best of the best.
zerogeek

Posted Sun Apr 15, 2012, 3:10pm

Am I going to have to set up a coffee crawl just for the Minneapolis/St Paul area?  :)

I hope to get info on the rest of the states before the trip!
Intrepid510

Posted Fri Apr 20, 2012, 11:52am

There is Revel Coffee Roasters in Billings MT. I have had the espresso blend before pretty solid.

http://www.revelcoffee.com/

Less water, more grounds.
dtlord
dtlord

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07sde
Grinder: Super Jolly, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Silex Victory, Cory, Sunbeam...
Drip: pour over w/ mesh or paper
Roaster: A nice guy named Roy
Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 2:45pm

zerogeek Said:

I am planning a road trip from Portland, OR to Appleton, WI in June.  

Once I leave I-94 in WI, I'm near family and have knowledge of decent shops.  I hope that the forums here can suggest decent coffee stops along the trail!  I will bring beans and a hand grinder, but would love to find a bunch of interesting shops to grab a latte along the way.

Where have you been?

Posted April 9, 2012 link

lol , coming to Appleton was just about the last thing I thought I would see. I'm interested in hearing what your favorite stops are in the area. As, I have a couple I stop by but normally just order beans in from outside of Appleton.

.....No matter where you go, there you are...
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 3:41pm

zerogeek Said:

Am I going to have to set up a coffee crawl just for the Minneapolis/St Paul area?  :)

I hope to get info on the rest of the states before the trip!

Posted April 15, 2012 link

Set your mind to it and reserve about six hours for the Twin Cities.  From west, to south, to southeast and then north:

Rustica's
Dogwood Coffee (Uptown area)
Angry Catfish (for the ambiance, if nothing else)
Bull Run
Blue Ox
Black Sheep
Kopplins
Quixotic

That should keep you busy.   Crawl the Twin Cities .

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
zerogeek

Posted Tue May 22, 2012, 12:32am
Subject: Re: Road Trip (OR to WI) - Path Change... ideas?

Ok... my travel plans have changed a little.  

On the way out, we have decided to drop south at Billings and take SD into WI.  Per suggestions here, I will stop at Revel on the way through Billings (that would be sometime on June 3 (hope they are open on Sunday's!).  My wife has also allowed me some hours in the Minneapolis area to hit some of the shops mentioned (I'm a lucky man!).

The trip back will be all new drive for us.  We are heading down to Chicago as we leave to take my son to the sci/industry museum, so the trip back will be I-80 through Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, into Utah, before hitting 84 into Idaho, the rest of the way home.

My family doesn't really know good coffee in the area.  I tried Beaners last time I was home (the name changed, but it was Beaners years ago) on College Ave in Appleton.  Not really impressed... The barista sold me a macchiato in a 12oz paper cup?
There was a post in this thread from a fellow WI native (dtlord) - what can you suggest for the week I'm actually in town?

Thanks in advance-
Scott
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Road Trip (OR to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.259217023849)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+