Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Upgrading from Folgers: Can anyone recommend some good coffee brands please?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Upgrading from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
TMiller

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 2:38pm
Subject: Upgrading from Folgers: Can anyone recommend some good coffee brands please?

Hello, I have just recently bought my own coffee maker and have finally upgraded from instant coffee. I have been using Folgers and Maxwell House which tastes okay I guess, but I know that there are so many better tasting coffee blends out there. However, I have no idea where to start looking. I have an electric drip coffee maker; a Mr. Coffee 4cup brewer to be exact, which I know is one of the cheaper kinds. I wanted to know whether the coffee maker would ruin the taste of a good coffee due to its lower quality. This, of course, would defeat the purpose of even buying good coffee and would be a waste of money. I am a 17 year old student and although I love having coffee throughout the day, a really expensive coffee maker is kind of out of the question for me. Also, can anyone recommend some good, quality coffee brands? I like having dark roasted coffee black so if there are any strong blends that anyone knows of, I would really appreciate it if you can give me some recommendations. If anyone can help me, that would be great. Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 5:04pm
Subject: Re: Upgrading from Folgers: Can anyone recommend some good coffee brands please?

Buying in the grocery store is not going to get you excellence. Better than Folgers, though, is Don Fransisco. If grocery store coffee is all you can normally afford, give that a shot. It's still not fresh but if you don't have a grinder it might be the best you can do. Caribou is a brand from somewhere back there that will also be better than Folgers and I know they make some very dark roasted coffee.

If you can afford a bit better, go down to the East Coast forums and ask about roasters close to home. You will find several, I am sure, since you are in NY. They will cost a lot more but you won't have shipping to deal with.

Your Mr. Coffee will not do any worse than any other regular drip coffee maker. And as you start your journey for better coffee, you will eventually graduate to something more.

Most of the geeks around here will say, do it by hand and buy a grinder, but that doesn't sound like it is where you are at yet. I wish you well on your journey and stick around and read about some of the fancy toys some of the guys around here have and when you are out of school and working and can begin to upgrade your kit, you'll have a place to come and talk with those who share your love.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
TMiller

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 5:56pm
Subject: Re: Upgrading from Folgers: Can anyone recommend some good coffee brands please?

Thank you for the reply. I am willing to order off of the internet. I actually meant to write in my post that I want to upgrade from all supermarket brands. Is Don Francisco a supermarket brand? Do you know of any reasonably priced good quality coffee brands that I can order online? Besides online, where else can I purchase good coffee?
rabbit

Espresso: v.3  miss sylvia
Grinder: baratza  vario, encore
Vac Pot: presspot
Roaster: fresh roast sr300
Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 6:02pm

give  www.gocoffeego.com    a try
 View Profile Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 6:13pm

rabbit Said:

give  www.gocoffeego.com    a try

Posted July 28, 2012 link

+1 to gocoffeego. They always have deals and only offer quality coffee.

Verve has free shipping and has never disappointed me. Metropolis, Redbird, and Compass are all pretty cheap and of great quality.

-Dave-
TMiller

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 6:37pm

Thank you for the help everyone. I'm on gocoffeego and there are so many different types that I don't even know where to begin. Are all of the coffees on this page good?:

http://www.gocoffeego.com/search/coffee-by-roast/dark
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 8:04pm

TMiller Said:

Thank you for the help everyone. I'm on gocoffeego and there are so many different types that I don't even know where to begin. Are all of the coffees on this page good?:

http://www.gocoffeego.com/search/coffee-by-roast/dark

They're all from good companies, but why are you gravitating towards dark roasted coffee? It sounded as if you were just starting your specialty coffee journey, and if that's true, don't limit yourself. Experiment a little. You'll be surprised by what good coffee can do to misconceptions.

I am by no means bashing dark-roasted coffee. I have had some incredible darkly-roasted coffee. But if it's because preconceived notions, then let them go and try everything.

-Dave-
TMiller

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 9:03pm

TheSunInsideYou Said:

They're all from good companies, but why are you gravitating towards dark roasted coffee? It sounded as if you were just starting your specialty coffee journey, and if that's true, don't limit yourself. Experiment a little. You'll be surprised by what good coffee can do to misconceptions.

I am by no means bashing dark-roasted coffee. I have had some incredible darkly-roasted coffee. But if it's because preconceived notions, then let them go and try everything.

-Dave-

I have tried supposed dark roasted coffee before at places such as 7-11 and have tried dark roasted coffee from Maxwell House and I like the strong taste. But you're right, I should experiment. Maybe start off with a medium roasted coffee and take it from there.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 9:55pm

TMiller Said:

I have tried supposed dark roasted coffee before at places such as 7-11 and have tried dark roasted coffee from Maxwell House and I like the strong taste. But you're right, I should experiment. Maybe start off with a medium roasted coffee and take it from there.

it is totally possible that you could be more into the typical flavors that dark-roasting accentuates (smoky and toasted nuts are good examples of these), but you won't know that from the coffee you've tried. The reason for this is because there is a gaping hole in the sub-par coffee world where lighter roasts should be, but they're just not there in any legitimate way. Some of this is because the lighter roasting will be a lot less forgiving to defect-ridden coffees, some of that is because consumer coffee has largely been led by Sbux (who's lightest roast is maybe a medium roast), and probably a bunch of other smaller reasons.

Before getting into specialty coffee (or good coffee for that matter), I just drank anything. But I did prefer the "bold" at sbux and the dark roasts anywhere else, and I've found that most people who really enjoy coffee start gravitating in the same direction. But for me, it was because I found it to be the most drinkable; the flavors were pretty consistent and I grew to enjoy them, while I started to abhor acidity in coffee (I realized later that this was only because there is just about no such thing as pleasant acidity in low quality coffee). Once I got into good coffee, I started the same way; with dark roasts. And then I experimented. And now? Well, now I'm just a straight up acidity fiend. Lime, grapefruit, and pineapple? Yes, please!

Like I said, it could go either way, so keep an open mind.

-Dave-
konacoffeefarmer
konacoffeefarmer
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sat Jul 28, 2012, 10:29pm

All right, here's a young budding coffee fan in the making. Will try to give some money saving advice, but leading him to a rich and balanced caffeinated experience in the future. Kind of a growth curve.

Buy the best good fresh coffee beans your budget allows. Let the store grind it (medium when using a drip). That's your base investment for the week or month. Try how good it tastes by brewing a small pot of it. Now start to tinker.

Possibility 1) Add some of your crappy Folgers (or other cheapo beans) to it to stretch it. Check over the next few pots how much you can tolerate in your own 'house blend'.

Possibility 2) Use only the good beans, but while brewing the next pot, leave half of the used grounds in the filter cone. Add half fresh grounds. Sprinkle a tiny bit of salt, and a tiny bit of sugar on top of the grounds. (Sugar & salt are flavor enhancers). Do the same for the next pot. And the next. The coffee will still be amazingly good because you had a good base. At half the cost. Do not try this with Folgers, please!

Possibility 3) Don't toss leftover coffee. Also don't reheat once brewed coffee because it loses flavor. Rather collect brewed leftovers in a closed jug in the fridge. Good coffee tastes great when cold. Even days old.

With this program you can gradually grow into a purist of fine and expensive coffee while your economic situation improves.

Which brands? Just try as many different ones as you can. Judge by how the label looks, or where it comes from, or if it has a cool name, a friendly sales person, a recommendation by a coffee buff...it's all about your taste and that's what you are about to develop.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Upgrading from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.301109075546)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+