Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Behmor 1600 Cleaning
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Behmor 1600...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 10:56am
Subject: Behmor 1600 Cleaning

My understanding is that I should wipe over the insides of my new Behmor with a 1:5 solution of Simple Green concentrate.  (Plus ...dry burns every 5 roasts.)

But the roasting drum (fine wire mesh) and the chaff catcher (perforated metal) surely won't come clean with that ...or will it?

Does anyone wash those two in the dishwasher, from time to time?  Do they come out clean?  Does it do any damage?

Thanks,

Jerry
 View Profile Link to this post
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 11:48am
Subject: Re: Behmor 1600 Cleaning

i've never tried to clean my drum, but i did try the chaff collector once and it does not clean easy. i don't mess with them. mine are brown but i don't think it hurts anything......they are "seasoned".;)

i think the most important part of cleaning is keeping the right-side wall clean so the temp readings stay accurate. as long as there is not a major build up i think it's fine.

i only SG mine when the walls start turning brown, but that takes a while to happen. i usually clean the fan and insides then too. aside from the regular cleaning cycle, the only cleaning i do all the time is wiping the window. i just use a damp rag so i don't get the SG smell between roasts.

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 12:00pm

I did soak my chaff tray in some JoeGlo and it came out looking great.  I was amazed to see some burnt on marks just float off and others come off with little effort, restoring the old-style chaff tray to a nice, shiny surface which should help reflect the heat back to the beans.

I'm planning on doing the same to my drum next.  I've heard others report that this or Cafiza work well.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue Aug 14, 2012, 6:50am

yakster Said:

I did soak my chaff tray in some JoeGlo and it came out looking great.  I was amazed to see some burnt on marks just float off and others come off with little effort, restoring the old-style chaff tray to a nice, shiny surface which should help reflect the heat back to the beans.

I'm planning on doing the same to my drum next.  I've heard others report that this or Cafiza work well.

Posted January 26, 2011 link

I will try with Cafoza solution soon.  I have used that stuff to get a commercial portafilter from 2yr old black coffee gunk to sparkling bronze. :D
A bit of bean residue build up should be no problem.  

FYI: Citric acid doesn't eat metal.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 10:05am

When you allow the oils and sediment  to build up over time,they get baked on by the heat
and make it much more difficult to clean off. We suggest a strong nylon brush using
Simple Green, Let the Simple Green soak overnight or as long as possible before trying to remove

Thanks

Bob
Behmor
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon Aug 20, 2012, 10:13am

I keep a soft bristle toothbrush around to do quick scrubs of the corners and other, more-difficult-to-reach spots every few cleaning cycles. Helps keep roasts more consistent when you keep the machine clean.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Behmor 1600...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.2251060009)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+