Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
My pourover never turns out as good as in a cafe. Help me problem solve!
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > My pourover...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mhession

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012, 6:27pm
Subject: My pourover never turns out as good as in a cafe. Help me problem solve!

Hi guys.

I have been home-brewing for about 6 months now, and I have been experimenting, learning, researching, and tasting to try and produce a great cup using a Hario V60 pourover. But for some reason, I have NEVER been able to equal the kind of sweet, fruity, amazing taste I get from a good coffee shop here in NYC such as Gimme Coffee or Toby's Estate. Here is my usual routine:

- using fresh beans from either Toby's Estate, Blue Bottle, Stumptown, or Gimme Coffee (I have loved the Kenyan AA Kaiguri the most)
- grind using Baratza Virtuoso (I will get to the grind setting later)
- 200 degree water
- V60 02
- Hario pouring kettle
- 23 grams of coffee to 300ml of water

Now, I have tried a few variations in how I brew. The first is using about a 10 setting on the Virtuoso and pouring all the water into the cone (after a 30 second bloom with ~30 ml of water). The second variation uses a Virtuoso setting of 20, and  involves pouring in small increments and letting the water drain some each time, never letting the water level rise too high.

I have produced better results with the 2nd variation of intermittent pouring (even though most online directions resemble the first variation), though my coffee is never as good as the juicy, plummy, deliciousness that I sometimes get at a coffee house (like you are sipping a cup of berries). The weirder thing is that sometimes I will do the exact same brew method 2 days in a row, and the cup will taste totally different each time!

Can anyone out there offer any insight? Also, I have a couple of specific questions:

- Is the water poured during pre-infusion counted in the total amount of water? In other words, if I am shooting for a 300ml brew, will that INCLUDE the pre-infusion pour, or would it be 300ml PLUS the pre-infusion amount?
- Does my brew target brew time include the pre-infusion time? I.E...would I start my clock AFTER the 30 second pre-infusion? Or does the brew time INCLUDE that 30 seconds?

Thanks for the help!!
 View Profile Link to this post
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 6:26am
Subject: Re: My pourover never turns out as good as in a cafe. Help me problem solve!

Hey hess,

Your preinfusion time and weight both count toward the totals. The shops you're going to are going to have tastier cups with better flavor clarity because they have far superior grinders. That being said, you should be able to get closer than it seems you are, so you may want to try the Perger method. I found this to be a great method for fruity coffees:

http://vimeo.com/user12742198/hariov60

-Dave-
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012, 7:35pm
Subject: Re: My pourover never turns out as good as in a cafe. Help me problem solve!

One thing I see less experienced Barista's do is poor on a scale. I think there is a video by George Howell out there that recommends the same thing.

Click Here (how2heroes.com)

Have you gone in the middle with your grind?

Ask one of the barista's in a place you go regularly to give you a grind sample of what they use for pourover and then compare it to yours.

And time and watch the barista in the places you like best. Most I have seen do the bit at a time after bloom with a hario. I have had pourover done in a cone dripper where it is really a combination of immersion and pour over and I don't care for it.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sun Oct 14, 2012, 7:00am

keep in mind that the water quality (mineral content, pH) will drastically influence the flavor of your coffee product.  You might want to do some research in that area as well.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Sam21

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Siphon, Aeropress, CCD
Drip: Kalita Wave, Beehouse,...
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828B-2K
Posted Mon Oct 15, 2012, 1:19pm

You already have the important pieces taken care of. You have a fantastic grinder, a great dripper, and good coffee!

Things to consider are water quality, water temp, and brew time.

I like 60g/1L for brewing ratio. For 300ml I use 18g if coffee. I used to use a continuous pour but found the pulse pouring to be more forgiving and consistent.

Here is my routine:

1) 18g ground at 15-22 on my Baratza. Grind settings differ from grinder to grinder, but start near 16-18 and move up and down based on brew time and final cup.

2) After wetting filter and dumping coffee in, I pre wet the coffee without 2x the amount of coffee used. For 18g, I aim for 35-40ml. I start my timer after the pour is over. Do not tare your scale - this water counts for the final brew amount so it is a part of the 300ml. I vary my water temp based on coffee age and type of coffee. Starting around 200-202 is a good starting point.

3) After 25-35 seconds (I vary time based on how fresh the coffee is), I begin pouring. Slow circles that start in the middle but never go all the way to the edges. Pause between the pours and keep the grounds bed low. I find that I pour less in the beginning pours because the coffee foams up. I sort of ease into it, get the bed shape going, and then use my final pours to just keep thing level.

4) I aim for a 30ish second bloom, a pour ending at 2:30-2:45, and the final drain ending right around 3min. I then use this final drain to adjust the grind, as long as the pour went well. It took my practice for sure!

This is my baseline method for any pourovers. The V60 needs a more gentle pour and a finer grind. With some patience and a steady hand you'll start making great cup.

Feel free to email me with questions and happy brewing!

Sam
mhession

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 7:13pm

Thanks for all the advice!!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > My pourover...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.214547872543)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+