Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Cleaning Hand Crank Coffee Grinder
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Cleaning Hand...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JayDawg2032

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 11:27am
Subject: Cleaning Hand Crank Coffee Grinder

Hi,

I have recently been thinking about cleaning my coffee grinder. I have had it for a year and a half now and im sad to say I have not been doing a good job with keeping it clean. I do use a toothbrush after nearly every grind to get out the spare grinds, however I have not done any deep cleaning for it.

After a quick search online, I read in more than one place that using a bit of rice cleans the burrs, and having a large amount of rice this is something I plan to do today, however I am concerned that waiting this long will have allowed oils to build up and more deep cleaning will be necessary. One problem is I am too afraid to take it apart and be able to put it back together properly again.

Another aspect of the cleaning is the wood, especially the inside. I have used a damp cloth a few times to wipe it out(after using the toothbrush to get the excess grinds out), however, again with the oil build up and lack of maintenance thus far, I was wondering what my options are. Another quick search brings me to many wood cleaners, but I rarely buy anything without reading reviews and hearing from experience. I thought this would be the best place to ask.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. For reference, this is my grinder:
Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Thanks,
-Jay
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Oct 16, 2012, 11:50am
Subject: Re: Cleaning Hand Crank Coffee Grinder

When people talk about using rice to clean a grinder, they're not talking about regular long-grain rice, which is too hard to grind, but about a rice that was essentiallyy precooked and then dried for quick preparation, like Minute Rice. Tossing regular uncooked rice in your grinder will do it no favors.

You're really better off picking up some of the products developed specifically for cleaning coffee grinder burrs, like Grindz.
 View Profile Link to this post
denishicks8
denishicks8
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Oct 19, 2012, 1:38am
Subject: Re: Cleaning Hand Crank Coffee Grinder

Did you tried grinding some uncooked Minute Rice in there. Minute Rice finds its way through Mazzer quite frequently and many folks clean their hand mills with Minute Rice as well.If yes,then did it worked for you.Actually i also want some tips regarding cleaning hand crank coffee grinder.

http://www.koffie-compleet.nl/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Cleaning Hand...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.258286952972)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+