Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
AeroPress Solubles Concentration
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > AeroPress...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
pvblack

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 12:56am
Subject: AeroPress Solubles Concentration

After my friend sold me on it, I bought a shiny new AeroPress the other day.  I've searched a lot, and I've seen one or two studies on pushing the envelope of extraction numbers with an AeroPress (including one on here), but there just doesn't seem to be that much good data out there.

My question is this: What is the practical limit to the TDS concentration in coffee brewed with an AeroPress?  I've mostly read about people using relatively low brew ratios (15g of coffee/270g of water), but I've also read about and tried much higher brew ratios (24 g of coffee/120g of water).  At these higher brew ratios, does extraction fall off?

I'd love to be able to press, say, 60g of water through 20g of coffee at 20% extraction.  Accounting for water trapped in the puck, this is likely to yield a final volume of about 40g or so, leading to a final TDS concentration of about 10%.  Something tells me there has to be some limit, some reason this won't work.  What is the limit,  and how do I push this limit?

Thanks for your help.  I'm not just completely new to brewing my own coffee—I'm completely new to drinking coffee at all.  I never liked it when I was younger because I never knew you could get stronger concentrations of coffee.  All I ever knew was my parents' standard black drip coffee, which I never really like.  Then I recently discovered espresso when I was trying to stay awake on a long drive.  I still don't really find coffee palatable unless it is at that concentration or close to it, and I'm trying to find a relatively inexpensive means of producing that thick, black, super-concentrated sludge.  (*salivating*)  If anyone could tell me how to get close to this at home on the cheap, I'd be most grateful.
 View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sat Oct 20, 2012, 6:08pm
Subject: Re: AeroPress Solubles Concentration

pvblack Said:

My question is this: What is the practical limit to the TDS concentration in coffee brewed with an AeroPress?  I've mostly read about people using relatively low brew ratios (15g of coffee/270g of water), but I've also read about and tried much higher brew ratios (24 g of coffee/120g of water).  At these higher brew ratios, does extraction fall off?

I'd love to be able to press, say, 60g of water through 20g of coffee at 20% extraction.  Accounting for water trapped in the puck, this is likely to yield a final volume of about 40g or so, leading to a final TDS concentration of about 10%.  Something tells me there has to be some limit, some reason this won't work.  What is the limit,  and how do I push this limit?

Posted October 20, 2012 link

Paging Netphilosopher....

With an infusion brew method the "water trapped in the puck" will actually be coffee at about the same strength as what you press into your mug. So in estimating the strength you have to take that into account. In your example of 20g of coffee at 20% extraction and 60g of water you'd expect a strength of about 6.7% (0.20*20g/60g). So to maximize strength you'd want to maximize the brew ratio. Your yield would suffer horribly and you might have problems attaining 20% extraction with so much coffee and so little water. It begs the question why you would want to maximize strength like this in the first place. It certainly can't be to save money on coffee!
Netphilosopher

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 11:43am
Subject: ...

Netphilosopher

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 11:56am

jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 6:09pm

pvblack Said:

My question is this: What is the practical limit to the TDS concentration in coffee brewed with an AeroPress?

Posted October 20, 2012 link

Well, I was expecting Netphilosopher to have a ready answer to this question.

As the coffee/water ratio goes up the brew temperature will fall off which will affect the extraction. So the optimal brew ratio to maximize strength is likely something less than an Aeropress packed tight with finely ground coffee and a minimal amount of boiling water poured into it.

The recipe for the strongest Aeropress coffee -- maybe you could offer a prize and make it into a contest?
Netphilosopher

Posted Sun Oct 21, 2012, 6:54pm

pvblack

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2012, 10:03am

Yes, I have since studied the gospel according to NetPhilosopher.  The experiment I keep coming back to is this: http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/531585#531585

That's where NetPhilosopher simmered his coffee at near-boiling (probably about 205­°F) for about 2 minutes.  I don't see this as "impractical".  It's only slightly more trouble than brewing inverted for 2 minutes, provided one has a gas stove (not an electric—more fine heat control).  And it's certainly less trouble than using a real espresso machine.  But this method yields what seemed to me to be bitter and overextracted results.  Perhaps I got a little too close to the boil.

Btw, I'm not trying to save coffee lol.  If I wanted to get the most coffee for my buck, I'd just use a French Press.  I like very strong, thick, sludgy, ristretto-esque coffee (though I'm certainly not full enough of myself to ask a barista for a ristretto).  I was wondering how to get the shortest, most concentrated "pull" out of an AeroPress.

If I could reproduce NetPhilosopher's stovetop-simmer method without scalding the brew, I'd say NetPhilosopher would have to take the prize for strongest AeroPress coffee recipe.  His method solves the problem of insufficient thermal mass at higher brew ratios.  But I figured at some point the water has a limit to how much solute it can take on at (slightly above) atmospheric pressure.  If you go too high on the brew ratio, at some point your extraction percentage must drop off, as NetPhilosopher observed in his/her earlier experiment.
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 1:40pm

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > AeroPress...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.354046106339)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+