Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Weighing Brew Water In Grams
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Weighing Brew...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
slatham2

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 12:59pm
Subject: Weighing Brew Water In Grams

I've been weighing my coffee dose for a while now, but not my water. For that I've been using ounces. My starting recipe has been the SCAA recommended 60 grams coffee per 1 Liter of water. But now I want to try weighing my water dosage as well.

I've heard different things about this, but my basic question is: when considering water weight in grams, are people usually talking about the weight of COLD water PRIOR to brewing??

So, for example, I heard Michael Phillips say that at Handsome they always recommend 15 grams of water for every 1 gram of coffee. But what exactly does that water measurement refer to? Because a.) water weighs differently when hot than it does when cold, and b.) the total dissolved solids present in the brewed coffee water make it weigh more than 'clean' water.

Or, another example: I read that the most recent US Brewer's Cup winner, Andy Sprenger, used a ratio of 12 grams of coffee per 205 grams of water.

But does that "205 grams of water" refer to COLD water BEFORE BREWING? HOT water BEFORE BREWING? Or HOT water AFTER BREWING?

I would think it refers to cold water before brewing, BUT! But, then why bother aiming for a certain finished scale reading when doing my pourover? Ya know what I mean? I mean, if that number refers to the measurement of COLD water in grams prior to brewing, and that's how much you are definitely going to use regardless of outcome, then what is the point of doing my pour over on a scale that measures the weight of the brewed coffee, which has a higher mass than the "clean" water, and which has a CHANGING mass throughout the brew process due to temperature fluctuation/drop?

Can anybody help here?
 View Profile Link to this post

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 1:49pm
Subject: Re: Weighing Brew Water In Grams

Hi.

Well. for starters, different respected coffee organisations seem to go for slightly different doses - generally either 55 or 60gm/litre.  I work on 60 as it happens.

The grind level and/or brew time is likely to make more difference than any marginal mass difference between hot and cold water.

My understanding is that the recommendations are for the initial brewing water, rather than the resultant brew, simply because the latter would be difficult to standardise in any testing.

I know there are folk who swear they can tell the difference in tiny fractions of a gram when making espresso.  I won't comment on that, but would suggest that such minor differences as you are pondering over are very likely to be masked by other variances in the pour-over/drip brewing process.

I think worrying about hot/cold/starting water volume/resultant brew volume isn't likely to make any discernable difference.

One thing that does matter, If you're using electric drip brewers that flash heat the water as it goes through, is that you should start with water that's about (I think) 16-18c for them to work properly.

Bottom line is, go with what your taste buds tell you.  Everything else is just start point guidance or someone else's preference.
al_bongo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2012, 5:03pm

Simplest answer is that  yes the final weight is for hot water in the examples you cite. I tend to use a brew ratio of 17:1 i.e. 17g of brew temp water to each gram of coffee for pour over.  This approximates to 60g/litre.

The weight of the dissolved solids is irrelevant. You zero/tare the scale before adding the water. The amount of coffee doesn't change. Although the coffee will retain water.

Using a ratio means you can ignore the fact that hot water is less dense than cold.

Either way it doesn't really matter since the error in using a measuring jug is likely to be as much of an issue as the difference in weight between hot and cold water.
JKalpin
JKalpin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 2:22pm

To answer slatham2's specific question:  The specific volume in cubic ft/lb at 32F is 0.01602 (in fluid state) and at 212F is 0.01672 (in fluid state).  The increase is only 4.37%.  In that circumstance it doesn't matter much if you measure water cold or hot.  

As it happens, one fluid oz of water weighs one oz avoirdupois at NTP.  Similarly, one litre of water weighs 1 kg.

I never measure water in a measuring cup or other container with volume marks on it;  I weigh it on a scale, usually in ounces.  It's faster and MUCH more accurate.

I measure water in ounces and coffee in grams because those numbers are easier to remember and work with.

One last thing:  When working with scales (and hoping for accuracy) never weigh something below the bottom 10% of the range.  I have a 0 to 10 lb scale (with equivalent metric).  I never try to weigh (say) 50 grams on that scale;  it's asking too much of the instrument.

Jerry
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 5:35pm

slatham2 Said:

I've heard different things about this, but my basic question is: when considering water weight in grams, are people usually talking about the weight of COLD water PRIOR to brewing??

So, for example, I heard Michael Phillips say that at Handsome they always recommend 15 grams of water for every 1 gram of coffee. But what exactly does that water measurement refer to? Because a.) water weighs differently when hot than it does when cold, and b.) the total dissolved solids present in the brewed coffee water make it weigh more than 'clean' water.

Posted November 18, 2012 link

I may be misunderstanding your question. But if the recommendation is 15 grams of water it doesn't matter what temperature it is. Hot or cold, 15 grams is 15 grams. What changes with the temperature is the volume of 15 grams of water.

From a practical perspective, the amount of cold water measured before it is heated may not equal the hot water later simply because of evaporation. Spillage or water remaining in the pouring container can add to this.

(edit: spelling)
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2012, 5:41pm

JKalpin Said:

One last thing:  When working with scales (and hoping for accuracy) never weigh something below the bottom 10% of the range.  I have a 0 to 10 lb scale (with equivalent metric).  I never try to weigh (say) 50 grams on that scale;  it's asking too much of the instrument.

Posted November 19, 2012 link

Did you mean the bottom 1%? 10% of 10 lbs is closer to 500 grams.

The scales I own (two digital and one mechanical) do just fine in the bottom 1% of the range.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Weighing Brew...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.257369995117)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+