Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Which Coffee Machine to buy
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Which Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
niciom

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 8:11am
Subject: Which Coffee Machine to buy

Hi,
I am wanting to buy a coffee machine as a house gift, but am very confused which one to buy.  I want one that can make regular coffee and Cappuccino's, that you can either put coffee beans into or ground Coffee.  Price can vary from 100-300

Thank you
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 2:11pm
Subject: Re: Which Coffee Machine to buy

"regular coffee and cappuccinos" for 100-300 pounds???? good luck!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 1:37pm

And I'd like a 1938 Talbot-Lago for 100-300 -- oh, heck: 500! -- too, but it ain't gonna happen . . . .

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .

Espresso: Awaiting spare parts ;o(
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 3:26pm

Hello, Niciom.

I'm sorry you haven't received the type of ideas you are asking for, and that your question has been ridiculed.

The problem is partly that this is a forum mainly populated by people for whom coffee is a bit of an obsession and wouldn't have much knowledge of the types of machine you are asking about, and partly that those sorts of hybrid machine - although they do exist to some extent - aren't very common.

When you say cappuccino and regular coffee, it implies you want a machine that will make espresso shots (which are the basis of cappuccino) can froth milk and also make brewed filter type coffee.  There are some out there, but you won't find anyone on here who would recommend one I'm afraid, and I doubt there are any that include a grinder so you can start with whole beans.  

A slightly different approach may be to think about a machine which makes espresso, froths milk and includes a built in grinder so you can start with whole beans (there is normally an option to input pre-ground coffee as well).  You don't get conventionally brewed coffee, but you can make Americano, which is espresso topped up with hot water to make a longer drink.

This is the type of machine I mean:-

Click Here (www.amazon.co.uk)

There are lots of those about. That one is one of the cheapest I've seen, and for the price is probably one of the best bargains, but I have no personal knowledge of how good or otherwise it is.

They are heartily disliked by the coffeegeeks, as they don't do a very good job when set against the strict criteria by which this forum would judge the coffee they make - but that is an extremely demanding standard. The domestic ones (there are commercial ones costing many thousands) have a poor reputation for reliability, although I can't testify to that personally as I have never owned one. They have to perform quite mechanically complicated and precise processes to produce the coffee, but at the same time have to be cheaply mass produced.  Those 2 requirements don't fit together well.

If that is really what you want to go for I think it comes down to personal preference on your part and perhaps cosmetic appeal.  A lot of them while having different brand badges on the outside, have the same mechanical innards.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 22, 2012, 7:34pm

If you're buying a house gift, I'd actually shy away from any type of coffee maker. A gift certificate at a place that can offer advice and provide a wide assortment of machines that the person you are wanting to give a gift may be a better choice, as that way, they're not put in the position of receiving a gift they may not have a use for.

As you might be able to guess from the comments posted here, coffee can be a very personal decision and some people are not willing to settle for anything below a certain standard they've set for themselves. It can certainly be overwhelming, and if you haven't yet developed a palate for coffee, it can seem a bit extreme.

I wouldn't follow the advice given by tha anonymous member above, for a variety of reasons. First, I would never be inclined to trust the advice of someone who's not willing to put their name on it. Second, the types of machines he's pointing to don't do anything particularly well, they just do a wider number of things with, at best, mediocre results. We all have to settle for enough mediocrity in life as it is, there's no need to force it on others. Give them the option to chose it for themselves, don't choose it for them.

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 3:32am

GVDub Said:

I wouldn't follow the advice given by tha anonymous member above, for a variety of reasons. First, I would never be inclined to trust the advice of someone who's not willing to put their name on it. Second, the types of machines he's pointing to don't do anything particularly well, they just do a wider number of things with, at best, mediocre results. We all have to settle for enough mediocrity in life as it is, there's no need to force it on others. Give them the option to chose it for themselves, don't choose it for them.

Posted November 22, 2012 link

The post on which you comment contains information and - if you want to call it that - "advice"

The information is that such machines do exist at around the OP's price range (actually just above probably) and the link simply exemplifies the type of machine referred to. As it happens (it was just the first one I found for illustrative purposes) at the price being asked by Amazon it is quite cheap for that sort of device in the OP's market area.

The "advice" consists mainly of the following:-

"They are heartily disliked by the coffeegeeks, as they don't do a very good job when set against the strict criteria by which this forum would judge the coffee they make - but that is an extremely demanding standard."

"The domestic ones (there are commercial ones costing many thousands) have a poor reputation for reliability, although I can't testify to that personally as I have never owned one."

"They have to perform quite mechanically complicated and precise processes to produce the coffee, but at the same time have to be cheaply mass produced.  Those 2 requirements don't fit together well."

It would be good to think that most fair minded people would view the post as a balanced response to a new member asking for advice who hadn't received anything much constructive up to that point. Clearly you do not.
EricBNC
EricBNC

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 3:55am

GVDub Said:

I wouldn't follow the advice given by tha anonymous member above, for a variety of reasons. First, I would never be inclined to trust the advice of someone who's not willing to put their name on it.

Posted November 22, 2012 link

I would venture that ______________ aka Keepitsimple aka Rob E. is quite knowledgeable about things coffee related in general and particularly well versed in what is available in the European market place. I missed what happened to cause him to change his screen name (seems like a protest stance against something that happened) but to discredit his advice is an error.

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 8:28am

I actually own an automatic, shock of shocks. Not for home but for work. It was the best compromise I could come up with. I own a Jura Impressa F9, an old one, from before Capressa became a part of the organization. It works well. Does it make the world's most awesome coffee? No, does it even really make Americanos, no. And I actually like what it does better than an Americano.

But it's good enough for flavored capps that a lot of people like and for the majority of people at work who add milk and/or sugar to their coffee. They say it is the best coffee they drink (because I use decent beans in it.) In fact it makes much better coffee than a traditional coffee maker that comes with a grinder built in for whole beans. (I can't compare it to a Brazen, as I don't have one yet.) And everyone can get their coffee how they like it. So for work it is a win win. I bought it on eBay for about half what a refurbed one would cost. I wouldn't pay full price for one though, that's way too much money.

Would I have one at home, oh heck no. But work does not allow me time to make coffee the way I like it and the closest place to go get it would take me about 30 minutes round trip, not something I can do. I envy people with a 3rd tier coffee house close to home/work.

But they idea of a gift card to some place, if there is a place like that close to you is a good one. Or if they are coffee lovers, what about one to someplace to buy the actual coffee?

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 8:46am

I've owned a super-auto and it was extraordinarily mediorcre. You might even say it achived the height of medioctriy. It made coffee that was, by and large, drinkable, but in no ways better. Offer it crappy beans, I suppose the best that could be said for it was that it cared less about bean quality than any other coffee or expresso machine I've ever had.

Encouraging the spread of mediocrity does us all a disservice. Advising others to seek mediocrity, especially to give mediocrity to others so that they can sink into the noise floor along with everybody else curtails the chance to experience excellence. Not just talking coffee here music, art, food, literature, manufactured items, thought they're all subject to the same forces dragging them down into the land of 'meh'.

So, when someone comes to a site dedicated to excellence in coffee and receives advice that they should go home and make mediocre coffee and spread the message of mediocrity to the friends about whom they care enough to bring a fairly expensive gift, I think it's safe to speak up against that advice. I also stand by my advice to give a gift card to an establishment that can offer hands-on advice to the intended user and help them find the machine that's going to make the best coffee to their taste.

Posted Fri Nov 23, 2012, 9:16am

GVDub Said:

So, when someone comes to a site dedicated to excellence in coffee and receives advice that they should go home and make mediocre coffee and spread the message of mediocrity to the friends about whom they care enough to bring a fairly expensive gift, I think it's safe to speak up against that advice.

Posted November 23, 2012 link

And that advice was given.....where exactly ?

Edit...

On seconds thoughts ignore that question.  Just recalled some good advice about sometimes it being better not to argue ;o)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Which Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283685922623)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+