Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
1st roast in new Behmor 1600 - very bitter - need help.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > 1st roast in new...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
1215coffee
1215coffee
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 8:46pm
Subject: 1st roast in new Behmor 1600 - very bitter - need help.

Roasted Columbian Supremo Mountain Water Decaf - 1/4lb
Followed all directions for prep and pre-heating.
Heard 1st crack 5.5-6 min in, adjusted timer to 1.20 and heard 2nd crack then set to cool.
Coffee is very bitter.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 10:05pm
Subject: Re: 1st roast in new Behmor 1600 - very bitter - need help.

1215coffee Said:

Roasted Columbian Supremo Mountain Water Decaf - 1/4lb
Followed all directions for prep and pre-heating.
Heard 1st crack 5.5-6 min in, adjusted timer to 1.20 and heard 2nd crack then set to cool.
Coffee is very bitter.
Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Posted January 2, 2013 link

When you mean "adjusted timer to 1.20" what are you referring to...adding time with the "+" button?
I would expect an early first crack with decaf, as decaf's roast considerably faster.

As a new 1600 owner, I'd suggest you start with non decaf coffee, or if you MUST roast decafs, use the 1/2 # mode.
Go with 7oz by weight, 1:30 preheat of the empty drum.
Try 1/2#/P1/A...do NOT leave the roaster. You should hear first crack Prolly around  7-7:30 minutes into the roast,. After about 30 seconds into 1st crack, open the door for about 5 seconds. Add no time. If you want a medium roast be ready to hit the cool button about 45 seconds after the end of 1st crack. (Again, decaf will roast a bit quicker than hi-test). Or, if you want to go to 2nd crack, just let the roast go. When you hear the 1st snap of 2nd crack, hit the cool button, and after 30 seconds, open the door, and allow the roaster to do it's complete cooling cycle.

See if this works for you.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
1215coffee
1215coffee

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 12:06pm

Thank you.  I will try this when I get home today and will post my hopeful success.
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 2:45pm

Sounds like you really nuked that decaff up to 1st.....you need to be gentle with the Decaff coffees.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 3:03pm

DavecUK Said:

Sounds like you really nuked that decaff up to 1st.....you need to be gentle with the Decaff coffees.

Posted January 3, 2013 link

Dave, lets see if the slower ramp at the 1/2 lb setting works. I would have had him do P3, but not knowing his voltage....
When I roast SM's Donkey decaf blend, I like to use 1#/P3/A, but with a smaller charge than normally, about 12oz.
Works like a charm.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
1215coffee
1215coffee

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 6:34pm

I really appreciate the help.  Ok I followed your instructions. I measured 7oz of Columbia Supremo Mountain Water Decaf from Roastmasters.  I preheated the drum for 1:30. I put on 1/2 p1a which gave me a 12 minute timer.  I started the drum and it took about 8 minutes for the first pop.  Then I was waiting for the 2nd pop and the Behmor 1600 shut down.  I quickly ran out and reset the breaker and came back into a 2nd crack while the machine was off.  I quickly put on the cooling and opened the door and let it cool for about 12 minutes.  Here is what happened.  The coffee wasn't bitter.  I also had my wife taste it.  It actually didn't taste too bad but it tasted a little weak.  I figued that was probably in my measuring in the grinder and I also don't take the temp when I bring the pot to a boil.  

I would like to try regular coffee and see if I can get a better brew out of that.  The coffee I will try is Columbian concordia Santa Monica. I really appreciate your help on this.  I go to a coffee shop and buy their Tazza Mia coffee and grind the beans. I'm trying to get that type of full body flavor.  I'm sure I just have to experiment to get it right.

Any suggestions of the caffinated would be helpful.  The outlet that I am using is older.  I'll have my contractor check out the output on it tomorrow.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 10:37pm

Yes, 120 v is good. Sounds like that's not a problem, but the circuit breaker is.
Remember, the coffee will NOT be truly in it's prime for at least 24-36 ours...for drip/Chemex.
Espresso wait 5 days post roast.

Try 60 grams of ground coffee BY WEIGHT...get a scale. With 1.25liters of water...should be PLENTY strong.
Grind should feel like salt, maybe just a wee bit coarser.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > 1st roast in new...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.253477811813)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+