Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
What beans are good quality and moderately priced?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What beans are...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013, 11:09pm
Subject: Re: What beans are good quality and moderately priced?

Heres a place to look around.

http://www.coffeereview.com/

mkeller234 Said:

I realize this is a pretty fundamental question, but I am really new to all of this.  

I'd like to know if there is a source for fresh, quality beans at low - moderate prices.  For example, I bought a small bag of Eight o'clock brand coffee for 6.99 at the grocery store.  The coffee had very little bloom, which I assume it indicates the coffee is not very fresh.  It does not seem like a good value for a small bag of coffee.  I can buy a similar sized bag at a local coffee shop that roasts, and the beans are obviously fresher and the prices are similar.

But, is there a decent, everyday option.  Maybe not the best bean, but perfectly serviceable and affordable?  Should I be looking online, are there other sources?

Posted January 7, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
mkeller234

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 2:53am

CMIN Said:

Best bet is just to pickup fresh roasted coffee once a week or every two weeks from a local roaster, won't be much more then stores but way better quality. And if you can swing by you don't have to pay for shipping. Place in Miami that charges around $12-14 for 2lbs roasted to order, but I have it shipped to the house so usually about 20 bucks. Their volume roasting for restaurants and other places let's them offer lower prices, coffee is as good as any I've had (i.e. Klatch etc).

I don't know where in Ohio you live but Googled Ohio Coffee Roasters and quite a few popped up, one in Cleveland called Rising Star that got great reviews.

Posted January 8, 2013 link

That is a good idea, i'll search for additional roasters.  There is one coffee roaster that is a short bike ride down the street from me.  Either way, it would be nice to find another source for comparison.
 View Profile Link to this post
mkeller234

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2013, 3:10am

calblacksmith Said:

When ordering for the first time, order small lots. We had to remove a roaster from our list that we send people to. I took a visit to them and I don't know if they had changed their roasting or the person who vouched for them had bad taste buds! I walked into the shop where they roast and my stomach was turned by the stench of burnt coffee, the roast "master" said that they roasted dark because that is what all the restaurants wanted and they were his prime customers. He served me a double shot from a over temp thermoblock espresso machine. I choked it down to be pleasent, thanked him for his time and left, then I sent a letter to Jason and the vendor was removed.

Short story again, order small lots from a roaster for the first order.

Posted January 9, 2013 link

Yes, i'm still training my taste buds, so I might not have even noticed the situation that you describe.  I suppose that is a good case for trying multiple roasters to find what I do and don't like.  I did notice that the roaster down the street had some Jamaican Blue Mountain beans..... 70 dollars!  I'm not quite ready for that one!
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What beans are...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230538129807)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+