Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
conquest of the noob
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > conquest of the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Mandy_thecoffeeaddict

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013, 9:54pm
Subject: conquest of the noob

Hey everyone, my name is Mandy and I am a coffee addict

Everyone charm in unison: Hey Mandy

Okay enough lame jokes. I just like to find out when would  be the right time to remove the porta filter to clean it? I heard from another coffee addict that  Leaving it for too long, especially while frothing the milk might burn the tiny residue left in the spring that affects the taste of the next Joe.

Secondly, do I  leave. The filter into the spring grove after cleaning it or at the side? Then again would you to.se with water before putting it back on the spring or wipe it? All so confusing. Thanks for answering beforehand.
 View Profile Link to this post
AntWilliams90
AntWilliams90
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Mahlkonig Vario Home
Roaster: Dieckmann Rostmeister
Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013, 7:41am
Subject: Re: conquest of the noob

I don't know about a definitive answer on this, but I personally remove the portafilter pretty much straight after I've pulled a shot!

If I were making a latte/cappuccino/other frothed milk drink, I would follow these steps in this order (please note my machine is a single boiler, and I'm assuming yours would be too?)
  1. Prepare Portafilter (that is, Grind, Tamp etc.)
  2. Lock arm into machine (pay attention to where in the heating cycle your machine is, i.e. temperature surf)
  3. Pour
  4. Stop pour, remove mug/glass
  5. Unlock arm and knockout grounds
  6. Brush away any clinging grounds
  7. Turn on the brew switch, and whilst it runs rinse the portafilter for a few seconds
  8. Switch to steam mode, let it heat, then do your frothing

So, the short answer to your first question is remove it as soon as you're done with it...

As for your second question, if you are planning on making another coffee shot with the machine, without turning the machine off in between, then yes, leave the arm locked in as a hot basket is preferable.
If you are planning on turning your machine off once you're done making the coffee, then leave it to the side - I find it's best not to put a hot portafilter into a hot machine and and then let them go cold!

As soon as you sit down to a cup of hot coffee, your boss will ask you to do something which will last until the coffee is cold.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 10:43am

HI MANDY

In contrast to the above, it really depends on your equipment.
I pull a shot and steam milk at the same time so which is first is not an issue for me.

Leaving the grounds in the PF is not a serious offense, it can be hard to get the rock hard grounds out of the PF the next time but hey, stuff happens. If I leave them in the PF by accident and the machine stays on, I just pull another shot into the spent puck (yes I toss it down the sink) and that moistens the grounds for easy extraction and PF cleaning.

Just clean at the first chance you get without getting all worried about it.

Most of us here, leave the whole PF together and clean and lightly locked into the GH when not brewing so yes the spring (that holds the basket into the PF) is assembled in the PF.  Leaving the PF in the GH to cool is not a big deal and won't hurt anything. I have been doing that for years and never had an issue, besides, keeping the PF in the GH is the natural place to keep it, it is kind of like the PF was MADE to fit into the GH!

Welcome to the board!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Feb 7, 2013, 10:52am

Mods, this may see more action in the espresso forum rather than here, just saying.... Thanks!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 7:25am

IME (In my experience) with both pressurized and non pressurized portafilters if I brew first and leave the coffee in the puck while steaming it turns into a steamed brick making the portafilter harder to clean.  Since I just clean up right after a pull.  I own a Silvia so it works because I need to cool the machine before brewing anyway.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
dyqik

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07 PM
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso Preciso...
Vac Pot: Cona D
Drip: Bona-Vita, CCD, Aeropress.
Roaster: Gene Cafe, Modded Poppers
Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 9:52am

I find that leaving the PF for a short while helps avoid dripping a soupy mess when you knock out the spent grounds.  Although too long means that it's harder to knock the grounds out.  However, I have a BZ07 which has a group head that runs a little cooler than some (electrically heated rather than thermosiphon).
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > conquest of the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.244604825974)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+