Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Density of coffee
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Density of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 11:59am
Subject: Density of coffee

Looking at the SCAA Gold Cup application recently I noticed that one listed option for measuring soluble concentration is the hydrometer. That surprised me a little bit. Does anyone still use a hydrometer for this purpose? I would imagine it would not be very accurate, require a fair volume of coffee, and probably be quite sensitive to temperature. Where can one find tables relating density, temperature, and coffee soluble concentration?
 View Profile Link to this post
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 2:52pm
Subject: Re: Density of coffee

You can do it, but it's a PITA.  I used a triple-scale brewing hydrometer, available at your homebrew shop, and just read off the readings in Brix.  It does take a lot of coffee and you do need to cool it down or compensate for the change in temperature.  There are also relatively inexpensive optical hydrometers available, but the SCAA has moved away from hydrometer readings towards using the ExtractMojo conductivity meters these days.  See this thread for more info.

CoffeeGeek - Coffee: Machines and Brewing Methods, Measuring Coffee Strength With A Brix Meter

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jpender
jpender

Posted Tue Feb 12, 2013, 4:39pm

Thanks, yakster. Did you ever go out to lunch with Alan Adler?

It isn't clear to me that the Brix to SG conversion on those triple scale wine and beer hydrometers is applicable to coffee solubles. Is it? And if so how do you know this?
jpender
jpender

Posted Thu Feb 14, 2013, 7:04pm

Yakster, I see in the first post of the thread you mentioned that Randy Pope of Bunn Technology is credited with correlating Brix (via refractometer?) and TDS via dehydration to obtain a factor of 0.85 %TDS/°Brix. But no mention of the temperature where this applies or the accuracy of the measurement. What is to made of this vague claim?

I know that coffee hydrometers have been produced and sold, so clearly at least an approximate relationship between density and concentration of coffee solubles has been worked out for at least some defined temperature. Where might someone find these data? Granted, it isn't easy to get high precision from a hydrometer. The bigger the better. The larger ones require something over 250ml of coffee -- basically a whole mug -- and you need to keep the whole ball of wax within a small fraction of a degree to maximize the accuracy. No wonder it isn't commonly done.

There are ways of determining density besides using a hydrometer. None of them are easy and inexpensive. And all of them include suspended, undissolved solids.

I used to use a hydrometer to estimate OG and FG in my home brews but I wasn't that worried about it. I just wanted a rough idea. With a good (large) hydrometer I believe you can obtain a precision of about 0.1° Brix. I think something similar is possible with optical refractometers. This translates roughly into 0.1% TDS. With digital coffee refractometers offering nearly an order of magnitude more precision one would wonder why anybody would bother with a hydrometer. I would venture to guess that nobody does.

So why is the hydrometer still on the SCAA Gold Cup application?
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 2:24pm

Unfortunately, it's been a while since I was seriously working on measuring the TDS of coffee with hydrometers, BRIX meters, etc.  I had worked on it trying to understand it, and I had seen references to hydrometers in SCAA literature, but never any good instructions.  I'd even borrowed an optical hydrometer for a while.  I still have an HM Digital COM-100 conductivity meter that measures TDS and temperature but had problems relating brewed coffee conductivity to TDS measurements (since the meter measures the dissolved solids in the coffee that conduct electricity, not all the dissolved solids) and even had trouble with this meter for measuring water TDS when softening it with a CATION softener filter (since I'm exchaning conductive ions to reduce scale).

I did have lunch with Alan (we had a good conversation and swapped some home-roast) and I've run into him a few times since at coffee gatherings.  As for why hydrometers are still listed in the SCAA Gold Cup application, I can't say.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Density of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.222718954086)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+