Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Trying to make brewed coffee last
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Trying to make...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
allenkt

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 11:34am
Subject: Trying to make brewed coffee last

I have what seems like an odd problem.  When I would drink "bad" coffee (e.g. pre-ground Dunkin Donuts made in a 4-cup Mr. Coffee hotel style coffee maker), I could put it in my 20oz Contigo thermos and take an hour to drink it without the taste changing considerably.

But now I'm using fresh roasted beans (currently from Tonx), grinding them in my Virtuoso and brewing the coffee in my Chemex.  On weekends when I can put the coffee in a mug and drink it right away it tastes great.  But lately I've been noticing that when I put it in the thermos and take it to work it starts to taste bad pretty quickly.  That's not to say I don't still drink it, it just isn't that great.

So is there anything I can do to make it last longer? Brewing at work isn't really an option but is there another brewing method that would work better? I know that coffee changes flavor the longer it sits but this seems to a be a relatively new problem that I've only noticed after changing to a better brewing method.
 View Profile Link to this post
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:42pm
Subject: Re: Trying to make brewed coffee last

So you're saying that with time bad coffee goes from bad to bad?

This might be worth a try:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/general/614632#614632
allenkt

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 12:57pm

Well that's pretty interesting.  I do also enjoy a cold brewed coffee from my Toddy but lately I've been enjoying hot coffee more.  Guess I'll have to give this some thought and see what I can come up with.  I like hot coffee but don't necessarily like to microwave everything....
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 6:08pm

Why isn't brewing at work an option?

When I had nothing else, I had one of the bodum french press mugs and would use it and a hario hand mill. As long as I had near boiling water I have fresh coffee (In fact that is my travel kit. I take it with me anywhere I go unless I know I can coffee right here right now (I didn't take it to Portland Oregon for example.)

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
allenkt

Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 6:12pm

cerridwyn Said:

Why isn't brewing at work an option?

When I had nothing else, I had one of the bodum french press mugs and would use it and a hario hand mill. As long as I had near boiling water I have fresh coffee (In fact that is my travel kit. I take it with me anywhere I go unless I know I can coffee right here right now (I didn't take it to Portland Oregon for example.)

Posted February 22, 2013 link

Hmm....well technically I suppose I could do it.  I have the Hario V60 and a small ceramic hand cranked burr grinder, I'd just need to get the water to the right temp.
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sat Feb 23, 2013, 7:42pm

I'm thinking maybe you should try a different roaster. I find good coffee is good for quite a while- be it in a thermos, or even sitting on the counter for a few hours and room temp. I checked out the Tonx site, seems like rediculously high prices anyway. Many of the roasters better known on this site have subscriptions available and the prices are much better.
allenkt

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 3:21am

CoffeeRon Said:

I'm thinking maybe you should try a different roaster. I find good coffee is good for quite a while- be it in a thermos, or even sitting on the counter for a few hours and room temp. I checked out the Tonx site, seems like rediculously high prices anyway. Many of the roasters better known on this site have subscriptions available and the prices are much better.

Posted February 23, 2013 link

Hmmm.....now that you mention it, this is a relatively new problem and may very well be related to the Tonx coffee that I currently have.  I'll run out tomorrow though so on Monday I'll be on a different roaster and I'll see if there is a difference.

So what roasters are recommended?  I would prefer something on the west coast just due to shipping times but I suppose it's not too important.  I live in Hawaii (Oahu) and it is surprisingly difficult to find fresh, locally roasted beans here.  In fact, I've only found one roaster available so far and there is a very limited selection of beans available. And no single origin beans from that roaster so I can't get my favorites (Yirgechaffe and Guatamalan Antingua), only the blends he chooses and he doesn't even list what's in the blend....
CoffeeRon

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 10:41am

Here's one list compiled on HB- as you can see it is extensive. The thread is a number of pages long with many people recomending roasters they like in particular. You should check it out.

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Trying to make...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Machines
Free extended warranty & shipping. Enter email for best price / match
espressooutlet.net
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.261635065079)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+