Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
What causes coffee 'sludge'?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What causes...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mkraft

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti Caffetiera stovetop...
Grinder: KitchenAid Pro Line...
Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 11:18am
Subject: What causes coffee 'sludge'?

What causes the sludge that forms in a cup of coffee that's been left sitting?

Does it result from tiny coffee grains that weren't filtered out during the grinding/brewing process and have eventually dropped to the bottom of the cup and congealed . . .

-or-

. . . does some of the coffee, if left sitting in a cup, inevitably precipitate (in the 'chemical' sense -- i.e., become solid and separate from the liquid) and form the sludge?

Put another way, does 'sludge' form in a sitting cup of coffee even when efficient grinding/brewing methods have been used?

Thanks.

non si sa mai
 View Profile Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Feb 24, 2013, 2:18pm
Subject: .

calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 7:04am
Subject: Re: What causes coffee 'sludge'?

You do not mention the method of brewing. A French press will have MUCH more sludge in the cup, that is why I do not like the FP. Drip will be much cleaner. I prefer Vac Pot brewing for it's inclusion of coffee oils and the clean pot it produces.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mkraft

Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 2:31pm

calblacksmith Said:

You do not mention the method of brewing. A French press will have MUCH more sludge in the cup, that is why I do not like the FP. Drip will be much cleaner. I prefer Vac Pot brewing for it's inclusion of coffee oils and the clean pot it produces.

Posted February 27, 2013 link

Yes, I thought about that after posting, but then decided I could rely on the info in my 'profile' in the sidebar:
Bialetti Caffetiera stovetop

It's interesting that you write about coffee-cup sludge from French press.  I don't use French press because I could never get a strong enough brew.  But because the recommended French press grind is relatively 'large' I would not expect grounds to get into the coffee -- i.e., they should be filtered out by the press mechanism, shouldn't they?

How can one really determine whether or not the 'sludge' (in a cup that's been sitting for a while) is the result of the precipitation mentioned in my original post (in which case it's not really 'undesirable'), rather than due to uneven grind that's resulted in smaller coffee grounds not being trapped by the stovetop espresso maker's filter?

Thanks.

non si sa mai
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 2:53pm

mkraft Said:

Yes, I thought about that after posting, but then decided I could rely on the info in my 'profile' in the sidebar:
Bialetti Caffetiera stovetop

It's interesting that you write about coffee-cup sludge from French press.  I don't use French press because I could never get a strong enough brew.  But because the recommended French press grind is relatively 'large' I would not expect grounds to get into the coffee -- i.e., they should be filtered out by the press mechanism, shouldn't they?

How can one really determine whether or not the 'sludge' (in a cup that's been sitting for a while) is the result of the precipitation mentioned in my original post (in which case it's not really 'undesirable'), rather than due to uneven grind that's resulted in smaller coffee grounds not being trapped by the stovetop espresso maker's filter?

Thanks.

Unless you use a sieve on your coffee there will always be smaller particles. It's just the nature of grinding coffee that they are produced. The amount depends on the grinder and the grind.

I use a stovetop and find there is a fair amount of both fines that settle quickly and suspended solids that take longer to settle (or never do). I've tried to filter these out and measure them and I estimated something between 8-10% of the solids in the cup could be filtered with standard filter paper. To really get at what you are asking you'd probably want to use a finer filter, perhaps a sub-micron syringe filter. You could filter a small amount of coffee hot into a test tube and let it cool. Wait. See if you get anything at the bottom.
mkraft

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2013, 11:52pm

jpender Said:

Unless you use a sieve on your coffee there will always be smaller particles. It's just the nature of grinding coffee that they are produced. The amount depends on the grinder and the grind.

I have a feeling that there people here who would take issue with that and who believe that a top-quality grinder should produce a 100% consistent grind.

I use a stovetop and find there is a fair amount of both fines that settle quickly and suspended solids that take longer to settle (or never do). I've tried to filter these out and measure them and I estimated something between 8-10% of the solids in the cup could be filtered with standard filter paper. To really get at what you are asking you'd probably want to use a finer filter, perhaps a sub-micron syringe filter. You could filter a small amount of coffee hot into a test tube and let it cool. Wait. See if you get anything at the bottom.

Coffee cup sludge isn't something I find so undesirable as to make me want to go high-tech (sub-micron syringe filter, testtube, etc.) to try to escape from it. I  would expect a good quality 'paper filter' to be able to remove all the grinds that found their way into the brewed coffee -- if they are in fact what causes the sludge.  Aren't those filters intended to do just that when used with 'drip' coffeemakers?

I've used paper filters a few times (i.e., after brewing in a stovetop maker) but would prefer to find a method of brewing that minimizes or removes the grinds that form the 'cup sludge' that doesn't require multiple stages.  (I wonder what all those Italians with their stovetop espresso-makers do.  Maybe their attitude is:  "A little a-sludge-a?  A-who a-cares-a?")  ;)

Thanks for your reply.

non si sa mai
jpender
jpender
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: OE LIDO
Vac Pot: S/S Moka Pot
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 11:17am

mkraft Said:

I have a feeling that there people here who would take issue with that and who believe that a top-quality grinder should produce a 100% consistent grind.

Posted February 28, 2013 link

Consistent, but not all the same particle size. There are always fines.

Take a look at the grind profile for the Baratza Preciso, a $300 grinder: http://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploads/PRECISO-Graph.pdf

mkraft Said:

Coffee cup sludge isn't something I find so undesirable as to make me want to go high-tech (sub-micron syringe filter, testtube, etc.) to try to escape from it. I  would expect a good quality 'paper filter' to be able to remove all the grinds that found their way into the brewed coffee -- if they are in fact what causes the sludge.  Aren't those filters intended to do just that when used with 'drip' coffeemakers?

I was just suggesting a way to try and answer your question, "Does (the sludge) result from tiny coffee grains... -or- ... precipate (in the 'chemical' sense". Even paper filtered coffee has tiny particles in it, whether they settle on the bottom of your cup or not.

mkraft Said:

I've used paper filters a few times (i.e., after brewing in a stovetop maker) but would prefer to find a method of brewing that minimizes or removes the grinds that form the 'cup sludge' that doesn't require multiple stages.  (I wonder what all those Italians with their stovetop espresso-makers do.  Maybe their attitude is:  "A little a-sludge-a?  A-who a-cares-a?")  ;)

I can't speak for millions of Italians but some amount of sludge is unavoidable with a coarse metal filter. You can make it better or worse with the grind. If you want it cleaner, one approach I've heard of is to put a piece of filter paper into the pot itself.
DavecUK

Posted Fri Mar 1, 2013, 12:17pm

Also with french press a LOT of the problem can come from poor technique in using the french press, not just from an inadequate grinder.

With espresso (or americano), I get almost no fines in the cup when extracting by machine.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 3:24pm

Even with great grinders, you will have some fines, they just happen, it can't be helped.

I have used FP on and off for years, now it has been ... off for at least 5 as I just like a cleaner cup, I have no issue with those that like FP, great! It just is not for me.

YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > What causes...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.312591075897)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+