Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
New at grinding at home
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > New at grinding...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
msboo

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso, Capresso...
Drip: Technivorm, Bonavita
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 10:05am
Subject: New at grinding at home

I've noticed a good amount of chaff in the grounds, is that normal? I wonder how that's effecting the end result in the cup.

I'm also wondering IF I need to get inside my grinder to see if it's set in the 'neutral' position. I don't really want to take it apart BUT. Currently waiting for 4 new feet to arrive since mine were off resulting in a rocking (unlevel) grinder out of the box.

I ask about chaff because when having fresh beans ground at the roaster (before coming home to brew) I never had that---their ground auto drip also looked little finer than I'm getting on my Virtuoso. I'm having a bit of a time getting the right grind with the right amount of coffee----aiming for medium strength but lots of taste without bitterness (using Bonavita brewer).
 View Profile Link to this post
jliedeka
jliedeka
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 3:13pm
Subject: Re: New at grinding at home

I've never noticed chaff to affect the flavor.  I suspect the chaff is just more noticeable at home because static makes it stick everywhere.  Commercially roasted beans probably have less chaff than home roasted beans but there's always that little bit stuck in the seam of the bean, regardless.

Getting the perfect grind just takes a bit of trial and error.  If the filter doesn't drain fast enough or the brew is bitter, you probably need to go coarser.  If it drains too fast and the brew is more sour, go finer.  It's probably best not to make huge adjustments, especially if you are close.  Once you find a good spot, it helps to mark it or write down the number.  I used a Sharpie to put a couple of dots on my girlfriend's Preciso for Moka and drip.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
msboo

Posted Mon Feb 25, 2013, 3:42pm

Jim....  thanks for answering the 'chaff' question. I've not read/heard that it made any difference but I'm so new at all this, learning everyday. You're right about settings.... 1 click up/down can make difference. I started off grinding with Colombian Supremo. Looking for some good Ethiopian now.

Thanks again, Becky
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 6:21am
Subject: .

jliedeka
jliedeka
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Rocky Stainless
Drip: Technivorm, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor, heat gun
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 11:26am

That's strange.  I tend to roast more in the medium to medium dark area so wouldn't see that.  I suppose longer exposure to heat will shrink the chaff allowing more to be removed from the beans during roasting and cooling.

I've noticed that I get the least amount of chaff from Sumatran and other wet pulped beans.

Jim

Cafe todo el dia, tequila toda la noche
msboo

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 9:21am

Finally found my grind setting, 16 seems to be "it" for my Virtuoso (Bonavita brewer). Want to get a Clever Dripper, know that requires a coarser grind so will be messing with that when the time comes.
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 12:36pm

Becky,

Can you describe what the chaff looked like, in terms of shape and color?  For example, was it lighter in color and consisted of paper-like shreds?  If so, I encountered something similar, but it had more to do with regular cleaning and keeping the grinder exit path clear.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
msboo

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 3:34pm

Hey BarkingBurro.....  the chaff I'm getting is like what you described. However, I keep my grinder pretty clean---sort of OCD with that. I also tap on the sides of the grinder with my hands after grinding (hoping to keep it from building up between wkly cleaning).

Becky
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 6:37pm

msboo Said:

Hey BarkingBurro.....  the chaff I'm getting is like what you described. However, I keep my grinder pretty clean---sort of OCD with that. I also tap on the sides of the grinder with my hands after grinding (hoping to keep it from building up between wkly cleaning).

Becky

Posted March 4, 2013 link

Excellent, now for the grand experiment!  One fine day I noticed a lot of light colored chaff, right after switching from a lighter roast to a darker roast.  It really built up, so I cleaned the grinder and it went away only temporarily.  It was then that I changed my Preciso side burp slapping to always slapping it from the back while tilting it forward.  That, in combination with a quick twirl of a pastry brush up the chute seemed to do a fantastic job of clearing debris.  In fact, my measured grounds retention went way down to 0.1 or 0.2 grams after that.  Since the only thing I changed was to do back-slapping instead of side-slapping, I recommend that technique to you.  The brush is important, too.

And I suck when it comes to cleaning my grinder.  My theory is that some of the chaff stays in the grinder and may even lighten-up or change color over time so that it becomes more noticeable.  In effect, you're seeing older debris that would not normally call attention to itself if it departed on schedule.

So if you're game, try the same thing and let me know if it works as well for you.

Kind Regards,

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
msboo

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 7:03pm

BarkingBurro....  thanks so much for the tip. I'll start giving it a back-slap while tilting forward. I've just had my grinder for 2 weeks and had the chaff from the beginning. You're right about using a pastry brush---I have one still packed up somewhere (been looking since ordering) but can't find it so need to pick one up. Until then I'm using a dry paper napkin to 'brush' around then quick clean up with a Dirt Devil.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > New at grinding...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.383173942566)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+