Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Hello, just signed up
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Hello, just...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dsal89

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 9:49am
Subject: Hello, just signed up

Hey everyone! I apologize for being such a noob and coming here to ask questions but I hope to become more knowledgeable about coffee and hopefully come away with some good advice!

I am a big craft beer guy.  I love it, I do reviews and write a blog for reviews and things like that.  I've always loved coffee forward beers.  Not my favorite but I do enjoy them.  Ive only ever had what i think is "good" coffee once and that was in Chicago at Intelligentsia.  Im not sure if they are considered a good coffee place but i really enjoyed the coffee I got there and that says a lot since I have never had a cup of coffee I actually enjoyed.

My question is, i would like to make myself coffee at home but I am on a tight budget and I go to school as well as working (limited) part time, especially during the winter.  What kind of french press would you recommend? How about a grinder? Ive searched for grinders a bit and they are fairly expensive.  I saw a neat little thing on etsy for a little hand grinder and french press but it was somewhat inexpensive and I didn't want to purchase it if it wasn't a good product.

Thank you for your help in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 1:35pm
Subject: Re: Hello, just signed up

Welcome to CG!

I'm a home brewer, as are several other members here, so you're not alone :)  I've got a recent supply of bottled Bavarian Hefe-Weizen in my beer fridge, in fact (and boy did it come out great).

For press pot, I've grown to love the Espro press, though it's on the expensive side at $70 for the single serve model and $100 for the "full pot" version.  It has a great double filter design that puts your regular old FP to shame.  You could also pick up an Aeropress, which makes a great cup as well (though different in that it's more of a concentrate you end up diluting), for $25.  Couple either of those with a hand grinder like the Hario Skerton, about $40-50 (with a bearing mod from orphanespresso for another $15) or the OE Lido for $165 before shipping.

So, out of that little rant of options...the cheapest combo would be the Hario grinder and the Aeropress (which are both great for travel too).

Oh, and yeah, most people here consider Intelligentsia to be a good cafe.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 6:42pm

Before you buy an aeropress see if you can find someone to make you a cup in one. A place in so cal did a great demo last year using the same beans and bean/water ratio of all sorts of ways to hand brew and personally, the Aeropress was at the bottom of my list. (No offense to you that like it.)

After tasting coffee that day made in a siphon, 3 different pour over set ups, aeropress, a class french press and darn if I forget what else, I prefer either a paper filter pour over or the classic french press (I have also recently had it in another full immersion pot, I forget the name.) I like the french press when I want something I can easily travel with (I have a bodum travel press mug) or when I want a hearty cup of coffee. I prefer pour over when I want a cleaner cup.

Good luck on your journey.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Feb 26, 2013, 7:50pm

dsal89 Said:

I've only ever had what i think is "good" coffee once and that was in Chicago at Intelligentsia.  I'm not sure if they are considered a good coffee place but i really enjoyed the coffee I got there and that says a lot since I have never had a cup of coffee I actually enjoyed.

Posted February 26, 2013 link

You're describing me perfectly.  I've always wanted to like Coffee, but never really did.

I had a Latte at Intelligensia and it was the first time I didn't have to 'add something' to a coffee drink.  This started me down my coffee focused path.

I had been a standard press guy, but I tried using an AeroPress, and I've not used my standard press since.  I love that concentrated coffee flavor!   It's a cheap investment and it's a very flexible coffee making tool that I can't recommend enough.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 27, 2013, 6:57am

Welcome to the board. I just posted this to another thread for another member just starting out and it applies here just as much as there. I do not like French press coffee, I do not like the grounds in the coffee, I like a clean cup. If you don't mind grinds in your coffee, a French press is fine. Aero press or well made drip coffee can be very nice too.

The clock starts running on the beans THE DAY THE BEANS WERE ROASTED when you open the bag is moot. (edit, you have two weeks until the beans are stale for espresso, slightly longer for brewed coffee)
Fresh coffee is the key, then properly grinding the coffee is just as important. The brewer is much further down the scale, you can make great coffee using the "cowboy" method of a pot over a campfire and loose grounds in the water.

Buy FRESH coffee, get a grinder that does the job properly, the least I would advise is the Solis 166 or the Encore Click Here (www.baratza.com)

Then you need proper water temp, 195 to 205 F. This is just off a boil from a water kettle, pan, pot etc. A manual drip cone will work just fine, you can buy them for under $20 in the supermarket or you can buy nicer ones made of glass, your choice.

Great coffee is well within your budget but you need the proper sequence of items.
1 Fresh coffee
1.5 Properly ground coffee
2 Proper temp of water
3 Some way to hold the beans while the water brews them.

Please note, the above is for BREWED coffee, if you choose to get into espresso and espresso based drinks, the quality of the grinder needs to go WAY up and those grinders will NOT do the job.

Enjoy!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Hello, just...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.208526849747)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+