Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
help me refine my process.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > help me refine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
jaupro

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 1:47pm
Subject: help me refine my process.

OK. So I've just been getting into coffee the last couple of months. Here is what I have.

An electric kettle that warms to desired specific temps.

A bodum brazil 8 cup

And a mr. Coffee burr mill grinder (current model)

I buy my beans fresh at a local roaster (muggswigz). They said via a contest they are currently ranked in the top 14 in the country. But I digress. When I taste their brewed samples they are perfect. Mine are still good but not fantastic. I'm no expert in describing the flavors I taste yet, but the best I can say is a hard sour bitterness usually at or near the bottom of the cup. Here is my process.

I grind the beans between the course and fine setting but closer to coarse.

I grind up 45 grams and pour it into my Brazil.

I set the kettle to 200, and it usually heats to 203.

I pour just under a liter into the brazil and stir semi vigoursly for about 30 seconds.

I put plunger in and stop it just barely touching the water and wait 3 more minutes

I plunge down slowly applying slight pressure at the bottom.

I then pour the coffee into my thermos brand thermos, pour a cup and cap it off and drink the rest through out the day.

What am I doing wrong?
 View Profile Link to this post
coffeestig

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill QM67
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic...
Drip: French Press
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 2:04pm
Subject: Re: help me refine my process.

You may be grinding to fine.  Also, look up alton brown french press... he recommends a very small pinch of salt which will remove the bitterness you speak of.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 3:12pm

That bitterness is due to stale coffee but yes on stale coffee the salt does help a little.

On a FP, do not put pressure on the grounds in the bottom, just press until slightly above the grounds then pour very slowly so as to leave as much sediment in the bottom of the fp and not in your cup/thermos.

FP is not my method of choice when brewing coffee, I like a Vac pot or the Aeropress which works backwards from the FP.

You might try not stirring so much, you may be over extracting, which can spoil the whole pot. Perhaps it is not noticeable to you when hot but is when it cools, coffee changes it's flavor as it cools.

You are not happy at the end of the cup and you say you drink it all day long, perhaps the coffee is just past the point when it is good? Good coffee shops brew into air pots then toss the remainder of the pot at an hour due to the drop in quality coffee has when sitting.

Mods, could you please move this to Coffee General?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013, 6:31pm

Thread moved from Espresso: General Discussion to Coffee: Questions and Answers.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 1:09am

No mention of his grinder?
A wee bit of a grinder upgrade would do wonders to help alleviate the bitterness.
Much of that comes when a grinder produces too many "fines" which will then exacerbate the bitterness when you over stir.

Many here use the less expensive Baratza grinders, or Capresso Infinity for the press pot.
The Baratza Encore is $129 new, but less as fully guaranteed refurb, and will do wonders for your coffee needs, from drip, vac pot (get a 5 cup Yama sometime) to press pot.
click here

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Netphilosopher

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013, 7:10am
Subject: .

Lee_M
Lee_M

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 12:43pm

Calcium isn't alkaline. It's the carbonate in calcium carbonate that provides alkalinity.

I'm also not sure I believe the story about salt blocking bitterness reception. The only source I've seen is Alton Brown. There is this, though:

Click Here (io9.com)
Click Here (www.pnas.org)

As for the original question, I would also suggest investing in a real burr grinder.
Netphilosopher

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 5:30pm

Lee_M
Lee_M

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Drip: V60
Roaster: Popper
Posted Thu Mar 7, 2013, 4:13pm

Well, the question is whether the salt is blocking bitterness or enhancing sweetness (which in turn balances out the bitterness). The study I linked to suggests it's the latter. Of course, it might do both.
Netphilosopher

Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 9:08am

showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > help me refine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.233681917191)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+