Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Slightly Sour Coffee
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Slightly Sour...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
HorsemanSix

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 10:23am
Subject: Slightly Sour Coffee

Hello Everyone,

I'm fairly new to working with new techniques of brewing coffee and I've run into an issue. I recently ordered "The Heavy" whole beans from barefoot. I brewed a cup of coffee the day after receiving the beans and the flavor was fantastic. However, over the next couple days I haven't been able to recreate that same taste and the coffee tastes slightly sour. I'm note quite sure what I'm doing wrong. Below you will find my setup,

Bodum Bistro French Press
Bodum Burr Grinder (Not the best grinder out there but it seemed to get fairly decent reviews. I'll be upgrading to a Virtuoso soon)
Electric Kettle with temperature

My method for 24 ounces of coffee,

Boil water (212 degrees and let settle)
6 Heaping tablespoons of coffee after grinding
Put the coffee in the french press right after grinding and pour in the water, slowly (water settles to a temperature between 204 and 208)
Let the coffee sit for about two minutes and then use a wooden chopstick to stir the grounds
Wait for another two minutes and then plunge the coffee slowly
Pour into a cup that has been warmed with boiled water

Note:

I did read a few impressions that the Bodum Bistro grinder is great but that it's grind is maybe too fine at the French Press setting. Could this be why I'm having the issue?
 View Profile Link to this post
sgnoobie

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: HMMS
Drip: v60 02
Roaster: Blue Bottle, Ritual,...
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 11:26am
Subject: Re: Slightly Sour Coffee

Heya, can you let us know the roasting date of the coffee on the barefoot package? Also, how many days after the first cup did you notice it tasting sour?

Sure it's sour and not "bitter"?
barkingburro
barkingburro
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 12:05pm

If you are brewing consistently, there can be little doubt that the beans simply became a bit too stale after opening the bag and time passing.  But that doesn't solve your problem, other than to recommend better air-tight storage if you're not already using a suitable container.

The finer the grind, the more fully extracted the results.  Acidity or sourness tends to be released earliest during brewing, followed by additional oils and other flavors, including flavors of chocolate, carmelization, and nuttiness, and finally, increasing ashy flavors deriving from the charred solids being dissolved, all with increasing bitterness the longer the particles are saturated in hot water.  Acidity is also greatly drawn-out somewhere near the lower end of the recommended brewing temperature range... or a bit lower.

Grinding finer will increase the non-acidity flavors, so you're probably not grinding too fine.

With the slow water input to the vessel and the 2 minute delayed stir, you might just be hitting the acid releasing temperature sweet spot right when you stir.  But if you've measured the temperature at that point and everything is still within the optimal range, one can doubt this is why your brew is sour.  Still, I recommend adding the water much more rapidly, then stirring once after 30 secs., and then if you feel the need, again after 2 minutes.  If you really didn't stir the pot until 2 minutes in previous brews, it's possible you're getting inconsistent results by not addressing the bloom, which can prevent grounds from getting saturated until that 2 minute stir, when the temperature has already dropped and the first true saturation occurs, releasing acidity, etc., etc.

- Michael
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
VernS

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (strength) AeroPress
Grinder: Bodum Bistro, GSI camping
Vac Pot: Espro, Bodum, camping...
Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 8:12pm

I have the same grinder and french press (except for the handle and lid) as you do and enjoy using them every day.

You do not specify, but I suspect you are leaving beans in the hopper as I initially did as well. Even though the lid has a seal, containers with much better air tight seals are available and worthwhile.

Measuring coffee by "heaping scoops" is quite inaccurate compared to using a scale. Weighing the beans before grinding will certainly help your repeat ability, improve your fine tuning adjustments and slightly extend freshness.

There is a good chance that your initial water strike temperature is to high. I used to set my temperature controlled kettle to 95C but found that I prefer 90C.

I used to do a stir after 2 minutes as well, but found all I really seem to need is an initial stir with light spoon to submerge the floating grounds in the bloom.

You mentioned preheating your mug, but did not mention your press. I preheat the press and use an insulating wrap to help stabilize the brewing temperature. This also makes it more like the more expensive insulated presses.

I have wished that the Bodum would grind coarser already when experimenting, but it does grind noticeably coarser then the pre-ground french press coffee I have compared it to. For most coffee I use around a 5 minute steep. The slightly coarser grind that my ceramic burr manual camping press will give me, works well with a 6 minute steep and brings out flavors on some coffees that I did not know were there.

Many others on this forum have far more experience than I do and will have excellent advice. Have fun experimenting as you narrow in on what tastes best to you.
HorsemanSix

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 9:39pm

sgnoobie Said:

Heya, can you let us know the roasting date of the coffee on the barefoot package? Also, how many days after the first cup did you notice it tasting sour?

Sure it's sour and not "bitter"?

Posted April 21, 2013 link

April 15th, just got it a few days ago.

Also, it's not bitter, it almost has a slightly metallic taste.
HorsemanSix

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 9:40pm

barkingburro Said:

If you are brewing consistently, there can be little doubt that the beans simply became a bit too stale after opening the bag and time passing.  But that doesn't solve your problem, other than to recommend better air-tight storage if you're not already using a suitable container.

The finer the grind, the more fully extracted the results.  Acidity or sourness tends to be released earliest during brewing, followed by additional oils and other flavors, including flavors of chocolate, carmelization, and nuttiness, and finally, increasing ashy flavors deriving from the charred solids being dissolved, all with increasing bitterness the longer the particles are saturated in hot water.  Acidity is also greatly drawn-out somewhere near the lower end of the recommended brewing temperature range... or a bit lower.

Grinding finer will increase the non-acidity flavors, so you're probably not grinding too fine.

With the slow water input to the vessel and the 2 minute delayed stir, you might just be hitting the acid releasing temperature sweet spot right when you stir.  But if you've measured the temperature at that point and everything is still within the optimal range, one can doubt this is why your brew is sour.  Still, I recommend adding the water much more rapidly, then stirring once after 30 secs., and then if you feel the need, again after 2 minutes.  If you really didn't stir the pot until 2 minutes in previous brews, it's possible you're getting inconsistent results by not addressing the bloom, which can prevent grounds from getting saturated until that 2 minute stir, when the temperature has already dropped and the first true saturation occurs, releasing acidity, etc., etc.

Maybe it's because I'm leaving the beans in the bag (although I am making sure to roll it very tight). I'll try your tips tomorrow and will let you know.
HorsemanSix

Posted Sun Apr 21, 2013, 9:57pm

VernS Said:

I have the same grinder and french press (except for the handle and lid) as you do and enjoy using them every day.

You do not specify, but I suspect you are leaving beans in the hopper as I initially did as well. Even though the lid has a seal, containers with much better air tight seals are available and worthwhile.

Measuring coffee by "heaping scoops" is quite inaccurate compared to using a scale. Weighing the beans before grinding will certainly help your repeat ability, improve your fine tuning adjustments and slightly extend freshness.

There is a good chance that your initial water strike temperature is to high. I used to set my temperature controlled kettle to 95C but found that I prefer 90C.

I used to do a stir after 2 minutes as well, but found all I really seem to need is an initial stir with light spoon to submerge the floating grounds in the bloom.

You mentioned preheating your mug, but did not mention your press. I preheat the press and use an insulating wrap to help stabilize the brewing temperature. This also makes it more like the more expensive insulated presses.

I have wished that the Bodum would grind coarser already when experimenting, but it does grind noticeably coarser then the pre-ground french press coffee I have compared it to. For most coffee I use around a 5 minute steep. The slightly coarser grind that my ceramic burr manual camping press will give me, works well with a 6 minute steep and brings out flavors on some coffees that I did not know were there.

Many others on this forum have far more experience than I do and will have excellent advice. Have fun experimenting as you narrow in on what tastes best to you.

I'll measure with a scale from now on and I'll double check the temperature and preheat the mug.

I also just purchased the airscape 32 oz container and an aeropress. I'll try those out too.
HorsemanSix

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 5:56am

So I tried a couple different things today. I used a scale (which I believe to be accurate) and measured out 8.5 grams per every 4 OZ. I also measured out my water first, I was boiling a giant pot of water and then putting it into a warmed measuring cup first, so now I did this in reverse. I also warmed the french press and I quickened up the motion of going from grind to pour water, I then stirred after 30 seconds and once again after two minutes. I think the 8.5 per OZ was a bit more than usual and I should have let it sit longer than I did. However, there was less sourness, but the flavor wasn't as good. I'm going to attribute that to the fact the beans are now about a week old and aren't in a proper container.
HorsemanSix

Posted Mon Apr 22, 2013, 7:18am

I'm going to try less coffee this time around, 7 Grams instead of 8.5 per OZ.

I also have a new set of unopened beans that were roasted on April 16th. I'll see if those taste better.
greenbeanmachine

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Wed May 8, 2013, 9:49pm

Sounds like you got some beans in there that might have an inky taste to them.  Could just have been some sours as well.  Not all the beans could have been ripe when picked which causes sours.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Slightly Sour...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271866083145)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+