Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Problem with my brand new Rancilio Rocky from Idrinkcoffee.com
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Problem with my...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Balzak

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Rocky
Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 5:19pm
Subject: Problem with my brand new Rancilio Rocky from Idrinkcoffee.com

Hi everybody, I'm an anonymous reader of you from a couple months now. Learned alot of usefull info! Thanks to everybody.

Now I decided to sign up because I have a problem. I decided to start drinking better coffee. Planning to buy a espresso machine later but decided to buy a grinder first to grind fresh roasted been to enjoy with my moka pot and my french press.

I bought a Rancilio Rocky from Idrinkcoffee.com The shipping has been lightning fast, ordered sunday 19:00 and received wednesday at noon! Nothing to complain, perfect from them until I opened the box

My grinder seems to have a problem. The coffee container on the top doesn't seem to be straight... I mean it doesn't seem to be... it IS really tilted. As you can see on the picture, when I look at the grinder, there is a 5mm difference. I haven't tried the grinder yet... I don't know if I risk something... It doesn't seems to be normal but I don't know anything about it.

What do you guys think about it? Is it normal? Is there something that I should look to that may be an easy fix? What would you do in my case?

Secondly, It is maybe related but I don't think so... As you can see on the next picture, the casing seems to be poorly assembled. There is a good fit on the bottom but a 3mm gap on the top. I don,t think it's the cause of the 1st problem... the coffee container is really tilted it's not just the casing that makes it look like it.

How a machine of this price can leave the shop and the store with that kind of flaws? I'm very discouraged... if I have to return the item, will I have to pay the shipping?  Heavy as it is, it will boost the total cost of my grinder and will keep me from buying in the futur anything online that have a certain value... I was planning to buy an espresso machine in the next months from the same website... Now i'm thinking twice about it.

Any hints on what should I do?

Thanks for your help

Dan

P.S. Sorry, I know that my english is probably painfull to read... Being from Quebec it's not my first language...but I try to do my best

Balzak: IMAG0173_opt.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
Balzak

Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 5:25pm
Subject: Re: Problem with my brand new Rancilio Rocky from Idrinkcoffee.com

here is the 2nd picture

Balzak: IMAG0175_opt (2).jpg
(Click for larger image)
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 5:56pm

Have you contacted the vendor?

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Jun 6, 2013, 6:03pm

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the Coffeegeek forums! ;)

Sorry to hear that you're having problems, & especially with a new grinder! {:'-(

I own a Rocky stainless steel doser model, & no it's NOT normal & that's shipping damage!

It's been years since I've had my case off, but I think/remember that it could be as simple as a loose anchoring screw., or regrettably.., a broken mount at the top.

I'll take mine apart & have a look, & if I can I'll take some pics of the area to show you.
Don't use it & don't attempt to take apart or dis-assemble your grinder as that would void your warranty.
Companies (Idrinkcoffee, EspressoPlanet, GreenBeanery, etc) wouldn't open sealed boxes to check to see if equipment is ok before shipping off to you, that are sealed & delivered from the factory to them., they just assume that everything's ok..

Phone the vendor.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
psavoie

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Uno Pro PID
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 6:07am

Hi Dan,

I just bought an espresso machine from Idrinkcoffee.com, had a problem with it, called them, email them a picture of the problem.
By looking at the picture they agreed that something was wrong. so they email me a return authorization sheet. With this return authorization shipping will be paid by them. But first you need the RA sheet.
A replacement machine should be on it's way for me.

Just a question, was the grinder you bought, an open box item?

Paul
(je suis francais, donc si tu as des problemes avec l'anglais tu peux m'écrire)
Balzak

Posted Fri Jun 7, 2013, 12:37pm

Thanks for the answers, I emailed them, plus the pictures, waiting for a reply. Paul your answer is a relief for me, looks like they are acting like professionals. Hope they will come to the same conclusion for my grinder... don't know why they wouldn't but we'll see. I will give you updates on that case. The grinder was not an open box deal.

Dan
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 9:31am

When you buy something, and there is a problem, always start with the business that sold you the item. They are the ones who can take care of you, as much as we like to help here on the board, we have no ability to do anything else than to tell you to go to the seller and talk to them!

Shipping damage happens and I am not aware of any business that opens every item from a manufacturer before shipping it. The get it into stock, the send it out when it is purchased. It may have been damaged before it got to them or it may have been damaged after them and before you but either way, start with the seller. It is good you contacted them. I am sure they will take care of you.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 10:47am

Check this stainless steel back case anchoring screw(s) indicated with the white arrow & the opposing one to see if it/they are loose or missing.

This only entails taking off the hopper to look & wouldn't affect your warranty.

CraigA: Pict0030.1.JPG
(Click for larger image)

View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 10:48am

Pic #2.
Also it wouldn't hurt to check the area in the white rectangular circle where the hopper or in your case the "elephant" snout meets the horizontal grinds discharge chute.

On an earlier model I had (black plastic back) I had a cracked casing tab where it attaches to the grinder body, a cracked piece missing from the hoppers horizontal chute where it mates up with the corresponding horizontal grinds discharge chute.

It wasn't obvious as in your pic Dan, & when I went to use the grinder for the first time., it sprayed coffee grinds through the gap/hole all inside the grinder housing, motor., etc.

I returned that grinder for the newly released stainless steel doser model at the time around May 24 2001 & still have the grinder.

The above two pics are from my 2001 ss Rocky. {;-)

CraigA: Pict0031.2.JPG
(Click for larger image)

calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jun 11, 2013, 12:44pm

Thank you Craig for that very specific info, I forgot you worked on them!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Problem with my...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.27175283432)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+