Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
French press brewing help needed
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > French press...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
Thecoffeenerd

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: N/A
Grinder: Baratza Encore, Bodum Bistro...
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Bunn Phase Brew 8 Cup, Hario...
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 9:50am
Subject: French press brewing help needed

I've been making coffee for a couple of years now and I'm like a freak about everything to do with coffee. Making sure the ratio's are correct and the temperature of the water Is correct. Anyway's, I finally started using my french press again after not using It for a long time. My question Is, If I need say like 950 grams of water to 51 grams of coffee does that mean I should continue to pour water in my french press until It reads "950" On my scale? Or should I pour that much In my kettle and just pour It all in into my french press for brewing?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 10:10am
Subject: Re: French press brewing help needed

I typically pre measure my water for press pot, but (not that the difference is important) I measure it in volume. After bringing it to temp, you should pour just enough to cover the grounds, then allow about 20-30 seconds for "blooming", then pour in the rest. Most people (I think) then stir the brew once about half way through the "cycle", and then go straight to press at the end (without stirring again).

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 10:14am
Subject: ...

emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 8:17pm

Netphilosopher Said:

...but probably close enough) because of evaporation during heating.  At the end it's always less than 950 anyway because all brewing methods lose water due to evaporation.

And don't fret too much about the ratio - 950 to 50-60 grams is close enough for a French Press.  The overall grind and steep time is more important to overall flavor.  I'd also try to stay toward 200F or less strike temperature.

Posted June 14, 2013 link

exactly why I said just measure it and heat it.  that way you don't waste time heating excess water, you don't have to wonder if you heated enough, and you don't have to worry about how much you have to pour (since you're going to use all of it).  It would be VERY easy to figure out how much water you lose in your heating method and then compensate for it.

Thecoffeenerd

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 9:08pm

Thanks for the help everyone! I've been asking that question every way I can, finally good solid answers. My other question Is what ratio's are the best for french press?

I've seen different ratios, 950 grams of water too 51.7 grams of coffee or: 53g to 900 grams water or so on. I personally think both work okay for my tastes I guess...But the taste to me is more weak and watery and not much flavor to It. Does anyone have a good solid ratio for a stronger more flavorful brew from a french press? In case you're wondering, I own a Bodum Chambord 8 Cup french press (32oz) Thanks again!

"You can't make good coffee, without good coffee" -Thecoffeenerd
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 9:58pm

Glad we could help. Re ratios: I think I'm going to leave that for Steve (netphilosopher). I can't think of anyone who knows that stuff better than him.

Thecoffeenerd

Posted Fri Jun 14, 2013, 10:22pm

Oh! I forgot to ask something else, sorry. I own a Bodum Bistro burr grinder and I grind on the coarsest setting. I have been steeping for 6 minutes and not 4 because I like a strong brew. Doesn't the grind matter for steep time? Is that an okay time for this setting?

Netphilosopher

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 6:55am

Thecoffeenerd

Posted Mon Jun 17, 2013, 7:27am

Thanks for the reply! Very helpful information. This morning I changed the grind to "5" And made sure the water temperature was 200 degrees and I used the 16:1 ratio you gave me for 50 grams of coffee to 800 grams of water. The coffee turned out pretty weak for my tastes. Tommorrow I'm going to use the grind setting "4" And use more coffee and water (55 grams to 900 grams of water from the recipe post) I'll update on how It turns out.

Netphilosopher

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 1:05pm

showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > French press...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232322216034)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+