Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Intro and question about value of Jabez Burns 4-barrel sample roaster?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Intro and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Coffeenola

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 8:07am
Subject: Intro and question about value of Jabez Burns 4-barrel sample roaster?

Hello from New Orleans!  

Does anybody have some idea of the value of a Jabez Burns & Sons 4-barrel roaster?  I have one that was my grandfather's and then my father's.  It hasn't been used in probably 15 or 20 years, but as the car guys say: it ran when parked.  All the barrels seem to move fine by turning the pulley.  The belt is broken.  Here's a picture (please excuse the dust).

I used to love coming home from school to the smell of coffee roasting in the basement.  Some part of me would like to roast my own now, but I can't find the time to do all the other stuff I need to do.  Probably need to sell it.

Thanks!

Coffeenola: coffee roaster IMG01871-20130103-0858.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 10:56am
Subject: Re: Intro and question about value of Jabez Burns 4-barrel sample roaster?

My guess is that they can be very good roasters.  They are a sort of transition from traditional drum roasters where the heat is applied to the surface.  Mr. Burns shot a flame into the middle of the drum.  I think it is a predecessor to the fluid bed roasters.  My guess is that you will get results similar to my highly hacked  Z&D on a much larger scale.

If I didn't get a very nice roaster (Hottop) for Christmas you would be tempting me.

Phil

Coffeenola Said:

Hello from New Orleans!  

Does anybody have some idea of the value of a Jabez Burns & Sons 4-barrel roaster?  I have one that was my grandfather's and then my father's.  It hasn't been used in probably 15 or 20 years, but as the car guys say: it ran when parked.  All the barrels seem to move fine by turning the pulley.  The belt is broken.  Here's a picture (please excuse the dust).

I used to love coming home from school to the smell of coffee roasting in the basement.  Some part of me would like to roast my own now, but I can't find the time to do all the other stuff I need to do.  Probably need to sell it.

Thanks!

Posted January 4, 2013 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenola

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 3:46pm
Subject: Re: Intro and question about value of Jabez Burns 4-barrel sample roaster?

Thanks for the reply Phil.  Yep.  Looks like the flame hits the middle of each barrel and each barrel has fins inside to move the beans around.  Also the flame is individually adjustable for each barrel.  I'm tempted to try to find some raw beans (shouldn't be hard in New Orleans -- a lot of beans come through here) and fire this thing up again.
dlodewyk
dlodewyk
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 9:06am

I am really interested in this sample roaster.

I hope you can find some time to talk to me.

I have tried to contact you a few times but I did not receive a response!

I hope all is well!

Daniel Lodewyk
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Intro and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.214286088943)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+