Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Grinding Pebbles, Baratza Maestro Plus
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Grinding...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
JGE

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jun 1, 2011, 7:16pm
Subject: Re: Grinding Pebbles, Baratza Maestro Plus

Hi, new guy here !  

I have followed the repair procedure on my Virtuoso (did not replace shaft, which seemed un-damaged by the gear removal) and it runs fine (that is, the burr seems to rotate properly).  But it does not grind any beans.   At all.   Regardless of the setting.   I have to assume the relative position of the two burrs is way off.   Could it be simply that I got the washers wrong when I re-assembled ?  

A plastic boss, that one of the three screws that hold the motor/gear assembly into place goes into, was stripped out, the screw would not tighten down.   But everything looks in place, and I don't think this is critical to the relative burr positioning.

Thanks for any hints ...

EDITED TO SAY THE BURR IS ROTATING PROPERLY
 View Profile Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Jun 1, 2011, 8:05pm

Your Virtuoso might be different from my Maestro Plus.  

However, my motor shaft-end has a helical gear milled into it.  That helical gear engages with a spur gear on the counter-shaft that, at the other end, is screwed on to the rotating burr.

The tight fit of the two gears is CRITICAL.  If there is any looseness in the fit between the motor shaft helical gear and the spur gear (less than fully engaged) it will slip, and not turn the burr.  So ...no grinding of coffee occurs.  But it make noise ...as if... it was working.

The missing screw might indeed be the reason for your problem.

Jerry
JGE

Posted Wed Jun 1, 2011, 9:55pm

Jerry, thanks for responding.   I failed to mention that the burr was turning just fine.  But no beans were being ground; they simply bounced around on top of the burr.   Somehow I got the burr badly out of position.   I tried to be careful with the washers, paying particular attention to where it said the thinnest washer goes between the burr and the gearbox housing.

I don't think the loose screw has anything to do with it.   It simply holds the gearbox/motor assembly to the chassis.  The adjusting ring, which holds the burr, fits directly against the gearbox, and so this screw should not affect the relative positioning of the rotating burr with fixed one.

Thanks, John
JGE

Posted Thu Jun 2, 2011, 1:05pm

I took my Virtuoso apart and re-assembled and now it is fine.   I don't think I screwed up on the washers (no pun intended).  I must have not had the plastic piece, which fits fight below the burr, positioned correctly (so it engages two studs with the burr), so the burr would have been about 1/8" too high.  

However the thing makes an odd metallic squeaky noise now, I think I hammered the gear a little too far down (past flush) onto the stud, and the fit is too tight.

A couple of notes about my experience:

- I've heard many say you really need a new shaft, that's it's very hard to hammer the gear off without damaging the threads on the shaft.   I have not found that to be the case, and I've had the thing apart twice now (and a third time soon, to fix the squeak).

- The instructions REALLY should warn you about the TINY piece of black plastic which sits in a spring-loaded hole on the gearbox, and engages against the adjustment ring so that it clicks.
mizzao

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 8:40pm

I just ground up a pebble in my Maestro Plus, 2 years after anyone else seems to have run in to this problem, and just wanted to report that I contacted Baratza and they still have a repair kit. Will do the repair and report on how it goes.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 5:52am

Rocks happen. Coffee is most often dried on the ground, rocks are on the ground, rocks get into coffee.
Commercial roasters have DE STONERS but even then some get through, not often, but they do.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JKalpin
JKalpin

Espresso: Aerobie Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: Yama 5-Cup
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, BraZen
Roaster: Freshroast+8, Behmor 1600+
Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013, 5:57am

Welcome to the forum ...!!

I remember I had to buy a 1/2" (?) copper coupling to help with some of the hammering.  Otherwise it was not too challenging.  You will see that the grinder is *very* repairable;  almost every part of it can be changed out at home.

Good luck.

Jerry
mizzao

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 8:32am

Everything went okay, except that I didn't have enough shims to fix the gear on the shaft (they asked for 2.0mm but I only had 0.75mm, or three of the skinny ones).

Now it seems that my gear is a bit tight and the machine has to work a little harder than normal. I am not sure where the extra shims would be; they weren't included in the kit.

However, I thought about it a bit and decided that extra shims on the gear end of the shaft wouldn't help too much if the lock washer was already flush with the end of the shaft, so I'm just using it as is.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Grinding...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.235590219498)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+