Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Chemex/Pourover Timing Question
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Chemex/Pourover...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
JerDGold

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Breville...
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 9:26am
Subject: Chemex/Pourover Timing Question

So for my brews, I've read and been told that I'm shooting for about a two minute brew cycle from pre-infusion to brew termination.  I brewed a huge pot the other night for a few friends for the first time and hit about seven, which is clearly too long.  I thought it tasted bitter and over-extracted.  So I guess my question is...is four minutes a hard and fast rule? If I'm brewing a larger amount of coffee,  do I coarsen my grind to hit four minutes with a larger portion of coffee?  If I'm brewing just for me, do I go finer to make sure I'm at four minutes?

It seems that if I'm brewing 25g of coffee w/ 400g of water just for me, four minutes seem to work pretty well.  But if I coarsen my grind to hit four minutes with a larger portion of coffee (don't remember the measurements right now) the coffee would be under-extracted...
 View Profile Link to this post
Induction

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 5:04pm
Subject: Re: Chemex/Pourover Timing Question

How much coffee are you brewing when you're brewing for your friends? In all honestly I think no more 16oz should ever be brewed with a pour over at a time. In my experience there's almost always something unpleasant found in the yield. yes I would definitely coarsen your grind, and try not to worry about time until you find what tastes good. Use time to be consistent. As far as where it should be though, then yes around 4-6 minutes depending on quantity being brewed. Also how much coffee are you using? I would stick to a 1:17 ratio give or take depending how strong you enjoy it. Preinfusion should be around 35 seconds, but that also depends on how fresh the coffee is and roast level.
hopefully there is something helpful in here :)
CoffeeNark

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 5:20pm

I've been using a Chemex pot for a few months now and have started keeping a log of what grind setting, grams of coffee, water, and how long it took.  I do use a coarser grind as I increase quantity but I also may have to slightly increase how much coffee I use when I do.  When you make 16 oz, it may taste slightly different than when you make 32 oz even with the same time.  That in itself is kind of fun.  Just keep notes and refining as you go.
JerDGold

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Breville...
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Jan 19, 2014, 11:44pm

So I'll just start by saying I never measure anything by volume, only by weight.  I'm not what, if any, effect that might be having on my coffee and diagnostics.

That being said, when I brew just for myself in the AM, I brew 25g of coffee at a 16:1 ratio, which is 400g of water.  This makes enough coffee for me to have a monster cup.  Sometimes I brew 30g at the same ratio and grind setting so I can have some to take with me, or to share with someone and have two regular sized cups.  I tried once to brew about 70g of coffee for four people, only to find that my Hario doesn't hold enough water for a sensible ratio.  My brew time hit about 7 minutes and ended up with over extracted, bitter, gross coffee.  What I'm taking away here is that pour over is only really feasible to smaller amounts of coffee, and to keep from over extracting at those larger amounts of beans, grind should be coarsened to avoid over-extraction.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Chemex/Pourover...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.186980009079)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+