Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
ROK espresso guideline
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > ROK espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
wynnshang

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Jan 28, 2014, 11:51pm
Subject: ROK espresso guideline

Hi guys

I've recently began to be interested in espresso making and I have bought a ROK espresso because to my untrained eye it is beautiful. However as I dig deeper into espresso making I realized there are some parameters that ROK simply cannot provide and now I've got some questions.

I understand I need to warm the body and portafilter and my cup.
The temperature of water should be around 96 celcius (?)
16g-18g for a double shot and each double shot should be around 2.5oz? correct me if I'm wrong please.
30lb pressure for tamping and should take 25-30 seconds for extraction.

My questions are:

1. How can I count 25-30 seconds of extraction on ROK? I pull down the levers first, coffee comes out, and I have to pull down the levers again in order to get crema. Or do I pull the handle slowly and count 25-30 secs and just drink whatever is in the cup?

2. Do I measure a 2.5oz espresso cup filled with water and pour that into ROK or I can put in as much water as I want and just stop after the 2.5oz cup is filled

If you guys have any tips for a newbie like me in general or specific for ROK please share your knowledge.

Thank you guys so much.

Wynn
 View Profile Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 5:19am
Subject: Re: ROK espresso guideline

Mod note moved to Espresso Machines forum

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wynnshang

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 3:53pm

bump please
dana_leighton
dana_leighton

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 4:08pm

wynnshang Said:

bump please

Posted January 29, 2014 link

Please be patient. It frequently takes more than 16 hours to have responses to posts.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
wynnshang

Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 4:12pm

Ah sorry about that....
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 5:18pm

I've never seen a ROK in person, so my reply is going to be very limited.

As far as timing goes, I would expect that you're trying to simulate the piston of a lever machine, or the power of a vibratory or rotary pump. It makes the most sense to me that you'd apply the pressure in one long pull, rather than release and reapply.  In regards to crema, it should be coming from the very beginning, assuming a lot of things…1) you have fresh beans (roasted within the past 2 weeks or so; 2) you ground those beans to the proper fineness ini an acceptable grinder just before you prepared the portafilter; 3) you have good distribution technique, such that there's no channeling; 4) you do indeed have the key components of the device and the water at 96C.

It's more accurate to weigh your output, than measure it's volume, given the physics of liquids and gases.  I would expect a device such as the ROK to hold much more water than the volume of your shots (be those single or double shots).

Rather than counting, I suggest setting up a timer, that you can run on the counter, maybe you have a smartphone that has one?

Also, look for replies from people who've used manual lever machines, as those are probably closer in function to the ROK than what I own.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Wed Jan 29, 2014, 11:16pm

Hi Wynn,

Welcome to the forum.

Your espresso machine is the latest incarnation of the Presso hand lever machine last sold in the US by All Clad.  I actually have one of these things it looks virtually identical other than the logo.

I was actually able to pull a decent shot out of the box with it but it was a trick.  Jim Schulman who used to post here as Another_Jim  highly hacked his and can pull some good shots with it.  I recommend that you read his stuff at HB on it:

Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

His fix gets rid of some dead air space in the piston and will let you get to the pressure required to make what we think of as espresso today.

A word of caution:  The levers on some of the All Clad machines were reported to break causing the machine to tip and scald the user.  I was about to do Jim's mod but got to thinking that All Clad or their predecessor may have deliberated put the air space in the piston to limit the pressure and hence the force on the handles.  I got scared off.

Hopefully ROK has addressed the safety issues and you can do Jim's mod and use it safely.  I think it would be prudent to contact ROK to find out if and how they addressed the handle breakage issue.

Please be careful with this thing.

Phil

wynnshang Said:

Hi guys

I've recently began to be interested in espresso making and I have bought a ROK espresso because to my untrained eye it is beautiful. However as I dig deeper into espresso making I realized there are some parameters that ROK simply cannot provide and now I've got some questions.

I understand I need to warm the body and portafilter and my cup.
The temperature of water should be around 96 celcius (?)
16g-18g for a double shot and each double shot should be around 2.5oz? correct me if I'm wrong please.
30lb pressure for tamping and should take 25-30 seconds for extraction.

My questions are:

How can I count 25-30 seconds of extraction on ROK? I pull down the levers first, coffee comes out, and I have to pull down the levers again in order to get crema. Or do I pull the handle slowly and count 25-30 secs and just drink whatever is in the cup?

Do I measure a 2.5oz espresso cup filled with water and pour that into ROK or I can put in as much water as I want and just stop after the 2.5oz cup is filled

If you guys have any tips for a newbie like me in general or specific for ROK please share your knowledge.

Thank you guys so much.

Wynn

Posted January 28, 2014 link

Philip J. Keleshian
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > ROK espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.355288982391)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+