Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Problem with power on my espresso machine
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Problem with...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
sythslash2

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 4:13pm
Subject: Problem with power on my espresso machine

I'm fairly new to the world of espresso, and to divulge further into this, I recently purchased my first espresso machine.
I bought the Delonghi EC710 (EC702 for Americans)
It was working brilliantly, I hardly ever used it, but when I tried to use it this morning, it just wouldn't turn on. I've tried changing the fuse, but its still the same.
Advice and/or solutions would be greatly appreciated as there is nothing I could find online.
Cheers,
Johnny
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 4:32pm
Subject: Re: Problem with power on my espresso machine

sythslash2 Said:

I'm fairly new to the world of espresso, and to divulge further into this, I recently purchased my first espresso machine.
I bought the Delonghi EC710 (EC702 for Americans)
It was working brilliantly, I hardly ever used it, but when I tried to use it this morning, it just wouldn't turn on. I've tried changing the fuse, but its still the same.
Advice and/or solutions would be greatly appreciated as there is nothing I could find online.
Cheers,
Johnny

Posted February 9, 2014 link

Are you plugging it into a GFI outlet?
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
sythslash2

Posted Sun Feb 9, 2014, 5:29pm

Burner0000 Said:

Are you plugging it into a GFI outlet?

I don't know what that is, I'm just plugging it into the mains.

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Machine now fixed ;o)
Grinder: None
Vac Pot: None
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 2:20am

sythslash2 Said:

I don't know what that is, I'm just plugging it into the mains.

A GFI outlet is a type of Residual Current Device (RCD) common in N.America and is fitted in the outlet itself. Its function is to trip if there is an imbalance in the current flow between phase  (live) and neutral, meaning a possible leakage back to earth.

It would be unusual to have a RCD socket in the UK although they do exist for older wiring circuits before RCD's became mandatory. Current wiring regs. require the RCD devices to be fitted upstream in the contact breaker box itself so that they protect all the mains wiring of the circuit as well as any plugged in device.  

Bottom line - It means that if other stuff plugged into the socket works fine, and as you have checked the fuse in the plug,  the problem will be somewhere in the espresso machine itself.

If it is still under warranty, that would definitely be my first port of call.
sythslash2

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 4:41am

cai Said:

If it is still under warranty, that would definitely be my first port of call.

Posted February 7, 2003 link

I got it from an independent seller from ebay and yes, I am aware that this product is most likely not covered on warranty.
As for the internals, could you suggest a reason why its not turning on? Like what part in the espresso machine could cause this?
I've also checked all the wires, and they're fitted correctly

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 4:54am

Sorry can't help. Have never seen one of these.  Our transatlantic cousins may be able to help though if the N.American version is similar.

If you bought it new from a trade seller within the EU - ebay or not - you may have some legal rights to get it repaired FOC.  Difficulty tends to be getting those rights enforced though ;o(  

Your local Trading Standards department should be able to help with information at least.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 5:02am

So the easiest way to know if your pluggin into a GFI is if you have 2 reset buttons on the outlet.  At home If I try to plug anything like a water boiler espresso machine it trips as soon as I flip on the switch.. Try a plug without GFI and see if you get anything.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
sythslash2

Posted Mon Feb 10, 2014, 7:02am

Burner0000 Said:

Try a plug without GFI and see if you get anything.

Posted February 10, 2014 link

Once again, still nothing :/
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014, 6:26am

That machine is a pretty typical consumer grade SBDU machine. Once you know for sure that the problem is not your power outlet and is in fact in the machine, the problem could be as simple as a loose wire to a broken switch or other component failure. If you are not comfortable working inside an electrical appliance, get professional help but if the seller will not pay for it, most likely, the cost of repairs will be more than the cost of a replacement unit.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post

Posted Tue Feb 11, 2014, 7:18am

calblacksmith is right.

Unless you're competent to poke around inside and look for obvious problems like wires having become detached or broken, or simply  testing the mains switch, getting it repaired is likely to cost more than replacing.

I looked on that well known auction site - refurbished with 2 yrs warranty about 86. EC710 seems to be a superseded model, so possibly not available new anyway.

Delonghi do have a repair network in the UK, so you might try them and see what they say.

Click Here (www.delonghi.com)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Problem with...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.428288936615)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+