Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Best milk or cream taste wise.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Best milk or...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
joemom

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 5:47pm
Subject: Best milk or cream taste wise.

What is your favorite milk or cream for cold brew/pour over/french press coffee based completely on taste not healthiness?
Cream, half and half, 2%, skim, soy, almond, rice, etc.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Mon Feb 24, 2014, 6:10pm
Subject: Re: Best milk or cream taste wise.

In Los Angeles (since most milk in the USA is semi-regional) I like Trader Joe's Whole Milk.  Sweet, rich, creamy and very satisfying.  I use this for everything in the house including steamed milk for espresso.  Far better flavor than the normal supermarket brands.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 1:55pm

Lane
Even if you could get every milk product sold in the U.S. anyplace in the U.S. with the same quality everywhere, there would still be no BEST as taste is a personal thing and no 2 people taste things exactly the same. So what may be my personal preference will most likely be different than what Jason likes and both of ours will most likely be different than what you like.

Best is a hard thing to pick with any topic, it can only be best for you and your circumstances regardless of the item being considered, there are too many variables and each persons needs are different.

I suppose unless you live in a rigidly controlled by the government country and there is only ONE choice to choose from, then as it is the ONLY choice, it will be the best choice :D

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 2:10pm

Honestly I just use Publix Whole Milk for steaming or when I make my morning iced espresso, I go through a lot of milk between coffee and protein shakes with gym and Publix generic stuff is high quality for the $. Has anyone seen Milk prices lately? They've shot up in the last few weeks, my gallone went from 3.70 to 4.25, the last few years I always paid 3.50-3.70 or so, others like McArthur or other organic etuff etc is over $6 now and their expecting milk prices to rocket higher through and after this summer. Though for some reason if I'm out and get drip I do like a little half/half better than just milk.

I buy my wife almond or soy milk as that's what she likes, I can't stand that stuff, makes me gag lol. So it's all personal preference, there is no best, each person will be different.

I bought skim milk by accident when I was rushing other day, think it's a scam haha. Looks like milk, but taste more like water that's had white food coloring added lol, even 2% is far better tasting for not a big fat difference.
joemom

Posted Wed Feb 26, 2014, 8:02pm

Thats why I said your favorite in the post!

Thanks have a good one.
dugsdale

Grinder: Hario hand ceramic burr...
Drip: ancient Melitta porcelain...
Roaster: Porto Rico Coffee Co.
Posted Wed Aug 20, 2014, 9:38pm

I do have a favorite milk for coffee and pretty much everything I use milk for--Organic Valley, which may be a New York State-only regional brand, or at least it claims to use milk from local New York State farmers. (Each half-gallon comes with the signature of a local farmer who supplies the milk they use.) (Well, 'signature' as in PRINTED signature, of course.) It runs around $5/half gallon where I get it.

The reason I like it has to do with ultra-pasteurization; the particular way this outfit ultra-pasteurizes their milk gives it a sort of a 'creamy' taste that I really love. It's still 4% butterfat, as all 'whole' milk is, it's just the way they handle their ultra-pasteurization. I get positively cranky now when I have to use plain old whole milk, even when it's organic.

Having said that, it's a FAKE 'creamy' taste, and some people don't like it--really good cooks, I'm told, much prefer cream that hasn't been ultra-pasteurized, exactly because the process adds that 'creamy' or 'cooked' flavor rather than simple, honest cream flavor. Makes sense to me, but I'm afraid I'm an addict--the 'cream' flavor may be fake, but I like it.

It absolutely does add 'something' to a brewed cup of coffee, too--how to characterize it, I'm not quite sure.  I think it makes the coffee taste a little sweeter, a little friendlier to the palate. (With just regular 4% milk in the coffee, you'd be getting a clearer and more honest coffee taste, perhaps, but again, I'm addicted.)

I taste my milk pretty carefully now, no matter where I get it--some tastes grassier, some (especially quarts from the deli around the corner) taste of cardboard and the damp refrigerator they were stored in. Milk in plastic containers invariably tastes plasticky (they must do some pasteurization IN the jug?) and cartons that don't have screwtops start tasting refrigeratory after a day or two, no matter how careful you are with closure.
SproBro

Espresso: CC1 v1.5
Grinder: Compak K10PB, Vario
Posted Wed Aug 20, 2014, 10:30pm

I have found the exact same thing about the ultra-pasturized milk labelled for Horizon Dairy (organic). Some other local farms like Iwig have really great flavored milk, but it doesn't steam worth a darned in my experience (all the bubbles just merge together), however they use the old-school lower temp vat pasturization technique to retain better milk flavor, and the texture is nearly on par with the ultra-pasturized stuff. My steaming technique wasn't nearly as good as it is now, maybe I should give it another shot.

I think most of the national organic chains like Organic Valley, available here in Kansas too, source from local dairies for shelf life and other obvious reasons like shipping costs.
genecounts

Espresso: LaSpaz, Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Zass, Baratza Vario,...
Vac Pot: Bodum
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Wed Aug 20, 2014, 11:13pm

A skosh of "made from real cream" creamer from Dunkin Donuts at the moment.  Followed by an ounce of ultra pasteurized Full Circle from Illinois.
For years have loved the way it steams and tastes.

If for my wife, who likes lattes, add three+ ounces Full Circle.
Jimbo63
Jimbo63

Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Posted Thu Aug 21, 2014, 1:29pm

I didn't know that they still sold whole cream.  Only thing Krogers has is half & half.  Would really like to find 100% cream without the other half of half & half, whatever that other half is....LOL

"For those who fought for it, life and freedom have a taste and flavor that the protected will never know."
RichardCoffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum
Posted Thu Aug 21, 2014, 2:07pm

Krogers has whole cream.  I just bought some.  Its labeled as heavy cream whipping cream.  It typically has a small amount of carrageenan added and, for some bizarre reason skim milk.  I wish it didn't but it's darn near impossible to find cream without that stuff these days.  Anyhow, it's label says it's 50 calories per serving - all from fat.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Best milk or...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.222494125366)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+