Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Advice on finding a new favorite coffee
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Advice on...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Cariessa

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 5:51am
Subject: Advice on finding a new favorite coffee

I'm frustrated beyond belief at trying to find a coffee that I love as much as the old BK Joe (Burger King) and the old Seattle's Best.

I don't know the terminology used to describe flavors.  Nutty, fruity, smooth finish, most of these terms mean nothing to me.   I just know that the old BK Joe (pre-Seattle's Best) and the old Seattle's Best (pre-Starbucks) had a quality to the flavor that I absolutely loved.  They were distinct but similar to each other and unlike any other coffees I've tried since.    There was something almost sharp to it but not bitter.  No other coffee I've tried since has that quality.

I've tried to find information on the process and bean blend Seattle's Best used before Starbucks raped them to no avail.   The only thing I can find about old BK coffee is that it's a Douwe Egberts blend but for a complete newbie like me looking at their website and the different varieties is completely overwhelming.  I'm about to order a sampler from the old Seattle's Best roasterie (Vashan Island Roasterie) but again... so many varieties.

I've spent hundreds of dollars on every type of coffee I can find to no avail.  I've given away so much coffee that I've only tried once and can't stand it's driving me crazy!  

Please, can someone help me find that flavor again?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeNark

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 7:26am
Subject: Re: Advice on finding a new favorite coffee

Sometimes, I think I know what a dog must feel like when he is chasing his tail.  I got off track recently trying as many of the offerings from local roasters that I could.  I've decided most of them roast lighter than I like.  Today, I'm going by another local roaster that tends to roast darker than most of the others and try a blend of his I've enjoyed in the past.  It's a blend, that while good, was not 100% what I love but I need to try it again as it is close and I need to regain some perspective.
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 10:08am

Cariessa Said:

I'm frustrated beyond belief at trying to find a coffee that I love as much as the old BK Joe (Burger King) and the old Seattle's Best.  I don't know the terminology used to describe flavors... Please, can someone help me find that flavor again?

Posted April 25, 2014 link

Hi Carrie,

This is going to be a very tough nut to crack.  Not because you can't describe the taste (I remember BK Joe pretty well -- it was very much in an early, third-wave, "Moka Java" style), but because that sort of medium finish, balanced blend, roasted for brew (as opposed to espresso) is a thing which very few quality, commercial roast-masters do anymore.

Most roasted-for-brew, high-end coffee is "single origin" and roasted lighter than it was a decade ago, because that's (a) the fashion; and (b) what customers want and buy.  Or vice versa.  I'm not sure which triggers which.

When you step out of the high-end and into the mass market there may be some similar options in terms of blending philosophy (Dunkin' Donuts Original Whole Bean, for instance), but compared to old Seattle's Best, they're lower quality beans and not sold as fresh.  

I'm an amateur home roaster, and -- as it happens -- do an all-purpose, balanced blend you'd probably like.    

Let me ask you four questions before going on to the next step:
  • Do you grind your own?  
  • If you grind, how do you grind?
  • Which type of brewer(s) do you use? And
  • How much are you willing to spend for a 12oz bag of beans?  

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Cariessa

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Apr 25, 2014, 1:34pm

I don't grind my own, but would be willing to if it meant I could enjoy a coffee as much as I did those two again.

I currently have a Keurig, 12 cup and 4 cup standard drip, french press and old stove top percolators.

I'd rather pay a small fortune for one bag of beans than another dime on coffee I don't care for.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 5:14am

Try Phillz in Northern California. Write them. Tell them what you told us and they might have an idea for you.

They do a lot of custom blending for regular customers. Not custom roasting, but blending of already roasted beans.

Good luck finding what you like.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 5:47pm

My first suggestion is to up your game with a decent grinder and take a fresh look at some of the many excellent roasters online.  

For Keurig brewing a $100 grinder like a Baratza Encore or Capreso Infinity is good.  If you want to do much French press, you'll want something better, a Breville Smart (~$180) for instance.  

And/or I can send you a 12oz bag of "Beautiful Friendship," a balanced, all-purpose, all Central-American blend I think you'll enjoy -- for the princely sum of USPS Priority postage.  You will need some king of grinder though, because it deserves to be fresh ground.  

If you do like it, we can move on to the next step.  If you don't, what have you lost?  And just so you know, I'm not in this for the money and would never charge more than cost.  I'm retired from actual work, roast for pleasure, and have no interest in turning it into a job.

Interested?  Get in touch with me at the email address in my profile, and we'll figure it all out step by step.  

Rich
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Advice on...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232771873474)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+