Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
Bottomless Portafilter
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Bottomless...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
avraptorhal

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/esatto
Drip: single cup cone
Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 9:55am
Subject: Bottomless Portafilter

Hi all.

I'm a real tyro at coffee brewing. Haven't  yet completely dialed in grind and tamp. Gaggia New Baby machine, Baratza Preciso grinder. Used Illy preground progresso blend to experience brewing. Just got Intelligensia Black Cat beans.

Noticed bottomless portafilter on retailer websites which brought up question. Why, How does it improve brew, or anything else?
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 11:27am
Subject: Re: Bottomless Portafilter

it helps you identify channeling and uneven distribution, so you can correct problems with your basket prep technique for better shots. imo, it's a really nice tool. Besides that, it looks cool.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
avraptorhal

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/esatto
Drip: single cup cone
Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 12:00pm

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. I will buy one when I get that close to a decent shot.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 12:16pm

nm...was going to recommend a grinder upgrade, but then noticed you have a Preciso

Yarrenbool
Yarrenbool
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket R58
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: FreshRoast SR500
Posted Wed May 7, 2014, 1:06pm

I've ordered a Cafelat convertible-bottomless portafilter along with a "bottom plate" and a "mini double spout" but not a single spout.

I expect to use it as a true bottomless most of the time however it's good to be able make it into a double or single when preferred.

As the bottom plate has a single hole in the middle, where you can attach one of the three spouts they offer, why would you want to use the single spout attached to it?  What does running coffee over/through the single spout do beside probably cooling the coffee down?  Why not just let the coffee run out of the hole in the bottom plate sans spout?

I was wondering if someone could show me where my logic is wrong and that I should order the single spout.
RayTCoffeeGuy
RayTCoffeeGuy
Posted Mon Jun 30, 2014, 2:03am

Cafelat XT will solve your problems,

And pressurized portafilter baskets will usually not get good coffee extraction and only can make good crema.

And worse yet pre-ground coffee is unavoidably stale.

So even if you're not satisfied the biggest problem now is to dial in the grind and practice the tamp.

If you tamp wrong, the naked portafilter will help you analise.

Here, www.home-barista.com/naked-extraction-common-problems.html

Start from here,

Aim for a normale at 1.5 ounces through a double basket in 30 seconds

Only true passion and expertise will make the best coffee.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Jun 30, 2014, 12:53pm

Yeah, that Cafelat pf looks really cool. If I didn't already own 4 different pf handles, I'd probably get one too. Heck, I've thought of getting one anyways, but I know I'd never take advantage of all its features. I'm sorry, I can't recall the exact mechanics of the plate and the single spout, but one answer to why you might want to use it is to help keep the threads clean. Crema can make shots have a bit more aggressive mouthfeel, and some people don't like too much of it.  A spout, typically angled towards the side, does help dissipate the crema and soften the shots somewhat.

RayTCoffeeGuy Said:

And pressurized portafilter baskets will usually not get good coffee extraction and only can make good crema.

Posted June 30, 2014 link

I disagree.  The "crema" coming from a ppf is not real crema.  It's gas bubbles introduced through the pressurization process.  Crema is produced by the extraction process, not pressure.  One of the first steps in making a big jump towards good espresso is to depressurize or replace the ppf.  Of course, you never said if you were using a ppf or non-p pf.

RayTCoffeeGuy Said:

And worse yet pre-ground coffee is unavoidably stale.

Posted June 30, 2014 link

now, this I can get behind.  and for that matter, so is coffee not roasted recently.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > Bottomless...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.239964008331)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+