Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
coffee refractometer
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
avraptorhal

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia New Baby
Grinder: Baratza Preciso w/esatto
Drip: single cup cone
Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 4:51pm
Subject: coffee refractometer

I just got around to reading Scott Rao's book on measuring espresso extractions. He keeps talking about a coffee refractometer. I know what a refractometer is. It determines the refractive index of a liquid. The refractive index in turn is a function of the density of the liquid.

I have tried to find one at several retailers with no success. I don't even know if it is reasonable for a home barista to concern him/herself with it.

Any thoughts from the coffee geek community. I'm afraid that I'm showing my engineering education and background but when I get into something I tend to like to get as much of the basic technology of the process so I can deviate in creating my own understanding.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 7:03pm
Subject: Re: coffee refractometer

VST makes one. There have been a few discussions here recently about them, in particular their utility as a useful tool for home enthusiasts. The discussions tend to get a little heated, but are worth reading for anyone interested in exploring the possibility of a purchase. Try using VST Refractometer in the search engine or better yet, google...which will give you home-barista hits as well. I think they go for around $800...but don't quote me on that.

Though it's off topic, I think it's worth mentioning...in my opinion, your money would be better spent on a grinder upgrade and, if you don't have one on your machine already, a PID kit. Those things will likely give you bigger improvement in the cup than a Refractometer will.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 8:27pm

What are you hoping to learn?

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sun May 18, 2014, 3:01am

To me a coffee refractometer seems like an academic and at $799 quite expensive tool that doesn't really help to improve your espresso at home. After all, brewing and drinking caff is all about flavor. The parameters messured by a refractometer won't tell you if the taste in your cup is great or not. You can have all the parameters right, and still you don't like the shot for one reason or the other. IMHO, your palate is the best tool for espresso quality.

So Rich is right:

boar_d_laze Said:

What are you hoping to learn?

Posted May 17, 2014 link

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
andys
andys

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sun May 18, 2014, 7:25am

avraptorhal Said:

I don't even know if it is reasonable for a home barista to concern him/herself with it.

Any thoughts from the coffee geek community.

Posted May 17, 2014 link

With respect avraptorhal, please note this topic has been beaten to death in several of the online forums. Here is a recent example.

It is unlikely that you will get any fresh or useful info by starting a new thread.

Since I was a beta tester for VST, and received my refractometer at no charge, I am far from impartial in these discussions. I would simply note that IMHO the people who are most stridently pro or con on the subject of coffee refractometers often have the very LEAST practical experience using one. In many cases, they have ZERO experience.

On the other hand, people who have used a coffee refractometer regularly and carefully find it is an extremely useful tool, although not a substitute for tastebuds or for common sense.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun May 18, 2014, 9:42am

Just to be clear, my question "What do you hope to learn?" was not argument in favor of nor against using a refractometer. It wasn't value loaded with the idea that there's nothing to be learned from using the tool, it was a simple question.  

andys Said:

With respect avraptorhal, please note this topic has been beaten to death in several of the online forums. Here is a recent example. It is unlikely that you will get any fresh or useful info by starting a new thread.

Since I was a beta tester for VST, and received my refractometer at no charge, I am far from impartial in these discussions. I would simply note that IMHO the people who are most stridently pro or con on the subject of coffee refractometers often have the very LEAST practical experience using one. In many cases, they have ZERO experience. On the other hand, people who have used a coffee refractometer regularly and carefully find it is an extremely useful tool, although not a substitute for tastebuds or for common sense.

Posted May 18, 2014 link

Andy,

Referring to the statement's logical schema only: Outside of marriage, a preemptive grasp at the last word is inconsistent with the expressed intent of avoiding an argument.      

Let's at least find out what the OP's trying to get at before strafing the field.

Rich
andys
andys

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sun May 18, 2014, 11:39am

boar_d_laze Said:

Let's at least find out what the OP's trying to get at before strafing the field.

Posted May 18, 2014 link

Hi Rich:

Since you aren't a moderator, I don't pay attention to your attempts to control the discussion in this or any other thread.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.270868062973)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+