Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
what's a nice thermos for a day's worth of cold brew?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > what's a nice...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
petersalazar

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Cuisinart DBM-8 Supreme...
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 12:25pm
Subject: what's a nice thermos for a day's worth of cold brew?

I just moved into a new place and I'm setting up my coffee system.  

I need to buy:  
- inexpensive grinder  
- French press or other cold brewing gear  
- thermos to take with me  

I'll be commuting to the library and working there every day. I want a thermos to store my cold brew coffee for a day's worth of sipping. I don't care that much about keeping it coldóI might not even put ice in itóbut it should be leakproof (for transport by bike or subway) and sleek/stylish.  

I was thinking I could buy a French press, do an 18-hour cold brew, strain it through the French press, then throw it in my Thermos with some whole milk and go. I'm OK with the coffee being super strong as long as it's good. I'd probably sip it throughout the day directly from the thermos, while sitting at a library table with my laptop.  

So what's a cool thermos for me?  

I'm also open to suggestions about the grinder/French press. My limitation there is that my kitchen is tiny and whatever I use would have to be stowed in cupboards when not in use, so smaller better. Also, re grinder, cheap. I'm more hacking a system together than investing in gear for the long-term.  

Thanks for any suggestions!
 View Profile Link to this post
z0mbie
z0mbie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 2:42pm
Subject: Re: what's a nice thermos for a day's worth of cold brew?

What is a days worth ? 16oz? 24oz?

Kind of a weird request without these specifics.

I have a Starbucks thermos that I really like.  I specifically bought it to directly brew aeropress into but i have been using it for cold press drinks too.  Seals really well easy to open flip top never leaked. Good grip handle that works like a hook too (I often hook it onto my back pocket) solid design all around.  

I posted about it a while back.
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/general/660430
petersalazar

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 2:58pm

Thanks! 16 oz should do me for the whole day if I brew strong enough.
z0mbie
z0mbie

Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 3:24pm

BTW,  I highly recommend the inexpensive Toddy cold brew system. It is great. Cold brew has never been better.  I used to use my French Press but it's too small, and the coffee is had to many fines.  The Toddy produces a healthy quantity of rich, clean cold brew concentrate that produces about a 1 gallon of cold brew per pound of beans.

What drinks do you intend to make with your grinder? And what's your budget?

Given the large price range of grinders, "inexpensive" is a very relative term.  And one really important thing to note is that the in-cup difference between grinders is extremely subjective..

If I was just going to make single serve cold press drinks, I really won't mind using a budget grinder for it.  My criteria for such a scenario would be more about build quality (it can't be junk), grind retention (I don't want old grinds mixed in with my fresh grinds), and ease of use (I don't like static so the less plastic the better)... so my choice would be a OE Lido 2 hand grinder.
It is $180, and as far as budgets go, it's the best bang for the buck IMO.   No electric grinder in that price range is worth my time.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 3:28pm

The Baratza Encore is minimally competent for cold brew, drip and other "medium" grind brewing.  A less expensive motorized grinder is a false economy.  

You're probably better off brewing with a Toddy (or similar) rather than an FP if you're going to be drinking cold brew as your primary beverage.  FP cold brew is on the gritty side and tighter filtration makes a positive difference.  The flavor characteristics will be about the same.  

Cold brew concentrate keeps fresh for several days in the refrigerator if stored well-covered.  Most people find it easier to brew in large quantities and keep until needed, rather than making it a daily chore.    

It's probably a good idea to wait until you've tried your cold-brew, before deciding whether you will or won't dilute it at work.  Just sayin'.  

We like to brew strong, store the concentrate, and dilute when we're ready to drink.  My wife likes hers with cream, syrup, a little extra water, and on chipped ice.  Chipped ice aside, you can mix your coffee however you like it so it's ready to dilute with water from the cooler at work.  If you like it black, that's fine.  I do too.      

If you're planning on drinking a lot of FP when you're not at work, you might want a better grinder than an Encore; a Breville Smart or Baratza Virtuoso, for instance.

Because you're so non-specific about your budget, I can't give you more specific advice.    

Thermos?  Go for something which keeps cold things cold and hot things hot.

Rich
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mgwolf

Espresso: Londinium 1, Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Baratza Maestro
Vac Pot: Yama, Sunbeam C50
Drip: Krups Moka Brew, Chemex
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 6:06pm

I've been using a Nissan Thermos briefcase size thermos for over 15 years.  Still works fine -- it's similar to this one:

Click Here (www.amazon.com)

Michael
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 6:50pm

sigg thermo

- Michael
barkingburro
barkingburro

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Trifecta MB, CafeSolo,...
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 6:53pm

more sigg thermo

- Michael
petersalazar

Posted Sat May 31, 2014, 1:14am

This is great. Thanks for all the comments. I ordered a Zojirushi 16-ounce (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CHOUI86) and a Toddy cold brew system. A grinder will be the next step. I will watch Craigslist for a Baratza Encore.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > what's a nice...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.23407793045)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+