Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Coffee: Questions and Answers
cleaning a chemex
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > cleaning a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Skylar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Fri May 30, 2014, 4:32am
Subject: cleaning a chemex

I know this is a paltry question but as a chemex user I have been frustrated in getting the inside clean. Washing by hand or a dishwasher hasn't done a perfect job (or even less than perfect). I tried an "enzyme" coffee cloth that the BW bought me some time ago and that didn't either. I used a brush - also a no go.

I have some cafiza for back flushing the Lelit. Can I use that with plenty of hot water like I do with my porta filters?

Anyone have an effective method that will get the device sparkling?

Sky
 View Profile Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Fri May 30, 2014, 5:35am
Subject: Re: cleaning a chemex

Skylar Said:

Anyone have an effective method that will get the device sparkling?

Sky

Posted May 30, 2014 link

Use one every day with a KONE filter from Able (http://ablebrewing.com/products/kone-coffee-filter).  My process is to fill the Chemex with a few drops of detergent immediately after use and add hot water.  When I do the dishes, I toss in a dish cloth and fresh hot detergent water.  By carefully grabbing, firmly holding, and shaking the Chemex, the cloth and its agitation leaves my Chemex spotless.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
wabbitt
wabbitt

Espresso: stovetop pots,aeropress
Grinder: skerton, SoloGrind
Drip: melitta cone, chemex
Posted Fri May 30, 2014, 7:24am

Normally I just swish & swirl around a couple drops of dish soap  and water.  Then I swish & swirl with clean water until the soap is gone. When the glass is looking a bit coffee stained I will throw in the dish soap sponge, as well.  It's got a scrubby side.  I have a bottle brush if there's a spot I need to reach.  When I'm lazy I just swish & swirl whatever's left from the hot water kettle.

I've had good success using Oxyclean to remove stains from my coffee equipment.  Mom is old-school and soaks glass items in diluted vinegar.  I hear it works on clogged showerheads too.
svyerkgeniiy

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri May 30, 2014, 7:42am

I've noticed the same problem, but here is my suggestion:

Add some water and detergent to the carafe.  Get a significant-sized washcloth, large enough to cover the bottom but not too large to fit through the neck.  Use the handle of a wooden spoon to move the cloth around and press it up the sides of the carafe.  Works fairly well for me, although it is a bit awkward.

--dv

Donald Varona
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri May 30, 2014, 7:44am

If you burned coffee onto the inside of the glass, it's going to require something like a long soak in acetone mixed with kosher salt and then agitation to get it completely clean.  Folks clean bongs and glass pipes with acetone/salt.  So...

The active ingredient in Cafiza and Joe Glo is TSP.  The stuff in Full Circle mimes TSP.  You can try one of those, or TSP itself, but I don't think it's as effective with glass.

You could also try a caustic grill cleaner, a safer grill cleaner (orange powered, for instance), Formula 409, Oxyclean, etc.  

If the dreck isn't burnt on but just a dark tint on the glass, I'd probably try filling the Chemex with a mix of Oxyclean and hot water and letting it soak overnight.  It doesn't have to be Oxyclean specifically, just something you have around the house.  

If you're burning stuff onto the glass, stop using your Chemex over direct heat.  Other than using the lid -- which only helps a little -- I'm not sure what the best way to hold Chemex coffee hot is; but I do know you don't do the coffee or the Chemex any good by heating it.    

For basic maintenance, I don't see the problem with ordinary soap and water.  It's glass, like all other glass.  

We use the official Chemex brush for ours, because it happens to be the right size to get through the neck and give a good scrub to the inner walls.  The point is, other than size there's nothing special about it and it works fine.  

Rich
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Fri May 30, 2014, 12:47pm

boar_d_laze Said:

... Folks clean bongs and glass pipes with acetone/salt.  So...

Posted May 30, 2014 link

So, who told you that?  <wink>.

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Fri May 30, 2014, 1:33pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I used hot water, dish soap, a sponge with a rough side and wooden spoon and got the sides pretty clean. The bottom has a rim of brown which I couldn't clear but I will attend to more assiduous cleaning after each brew. Maybe it will improve over time.

Thanks again, Sky
Goldensncoffee
Goldensncoffee
Expertise: I like coffee

Grinder: Breville Smart, Skerton
Posted Sun Jun 1, 2014, 11:40am

For everyday cleaning I just use dish soap and a little scrub brush that reaches into the thing. Once every couple weeks I will use those Urnex Tabz. They seem to make the glass just sparkle.
jaybar

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jun 16, 2014, 8:13am

There are two purpose-designed chemex cleaning brushes. The more expensive one, can be used with all chemex sizes. The cheaper one cannot be used with the small 1-3 cup size. I use them daily when using the chemex. I only use warm water and the brush. You might want to go to the Chemex web site to check out the brushes. I swear by them for effortless cleaning.

Jay
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Coffee > Q and A > cleaning a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242969989777)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+