Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Less expensive alternatives to Gaggia Classic or Rancilio Silvia
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Less expensive...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
kofechai

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Delonghi
Grinder: Breville
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 12:26pm
Subject: Less expensive alternatives to Gaggia Classic or Rancilio Silvia

I was able to resurrect my  Delonghi EC860 for another year but it starts spitting water underneath the tray instead of making shot again.
Just don't have 400 + bucks to spend now, I need something less expensive to last for a few years at least.
What would be the alternative to Gaggia Classic or Rancilio Silvia?
 View Profile Link to this post
marosmith
marosmith

Espresso: NS Oscar, Silvia V2
Grinder: NS MCF, Baratza Encore
Posted Mon May 12, 2014, 6:46pm
Subject: Re: Less expensive alternatives to Gaggia Classic or Rancilio Silvia

kofechai Said:

I was able to resurrect my  Delonghi EC860 for another year but it starts spitting water underneath the tray instead of making shot again.
Just don't have 400 + bucks to spend now, I need something less expensive to last for a few years at least.
What would be the alternative to Gaggia Classic or Rancilio Silvia?

Posted May 12, 2014 link

Get on craigslist, look for an oscar, silvia or gaggia classic. I got a silvia for $300, an oscar for $350, and a few days back saw a gaggia classic for $75.

Just buy used.
kofechai

Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 9:41am

marosmith Said:

Get on craigslist, look for an oscar, silvia or gaggia classic. I got a silvia for $300, an oscar for $350, and a few days back saw a gaggia classic for $75.

Just buy used.

Posted May 12, 2014 link

Thank you for a quick hint.
Unfortunately I not sure if I'be comfortable buying used.What happens if it brakes soon? Then I'm on my own, no warranty etc?
I'm looking for a new machine that can do more or less the same, with similar espresso quality ( I do understand that i will get what i paid for).
My family drinks around 5 - 6 double espresso shots a day,don't care about foo-foo drinks like cappuccino,late etc.
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 9:57am

kofechai Said:

Unfortunately I not sure if I'be comfortable buying used.What happens if it brakes soon? Then I'm on my own, no warranty etc?
I'm looking for a new machine that can do more or less the same, with similar espresso quality ( I do understand that i will get what i paid for).
My family drinks around 5 - 6 double espresso shots a day,don't care about foo-foo drinks like cappuccino,late etc.

Posted May 13, 2014 link

If your willing to get your hands a bit dirty and you can find a good enough deal on a Silvia, the parts are fairly easy enough to swap out and replace.  There also available all over the place.  I bought mine second hand here for $300 over a year ago and haven't had any issues.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 10:01am

kofechai Said:

I'm looking for a new machine that can do more or less the same, with similar espresso quality...

Posted May 13, 2014 link

And again, Gaggia Classic Refurb from WLL shipped $299.

Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 10:02am

kofechai Said:

Posted May 13, 2014 link

Unfortunately your machine doesn't make espresso, and don't take this the wrong way (I owned a Delonghi as well when I 1st started). It uses a pressurized portafilter which forces coffee through a tiny hole (not a regular basket), this let's people use store bought stale or preground coffee to try to make "shots" even though the crema etc is fake (like putting your finger over the end of a hose and causing the water to spray/froth). If you buy used yeh you run the risk of having to fix, and an Oscar at that price, which would be rare, would 99% of the time need a lot of work and taking apart to clean or fix. Depends on how inclined you are, to some people changing the oil on a car is nothing and takes 10 min, to others they think you have to be scholar in auto mechanics lol.

But a used Classic is simple, as is a Silvia, and easy to work on. Only problem is you need an espresso capable grinder, if you don't have a grinder or a good espresso one (and not some store bought thing that says fine or espresso on it) then your SOL. You'll need to budget for that, so you need to figure out what your budget or priorities would be. There's a Gaggia group on yahoo I believe where you may find a used Classic as well in addition to ebay or craigslist. wholelattelove as pointed out above has refurbed Classics for just under 300.

But what about the grinder, do you have one and if so what type?
kofechai

Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 1:41pm

CMIN Said:

Unfortunately your machine doesn't make espresso, and don't take this the wrong way (I owned a Delonghi as well when I 1st started). It uses a pressurized portafilter which forces coffee through a tiny hole (not a regular basket), this let's people use store bought stale or preground coffee to try to make "shots" even though the crema etc is fake (like putting your finger over the end of a hose and causing the water to spray/froth). If you buy used yeh you run the risk of having to fix, and an Oscar at that price, which would be rare, would 99% of the time need a lot of work and taking apart to clean or fix. Depends on how inclined you are, to some people changing the oil on a car is nothing and takes 10 min, to others they think you have to be scholar in auto mechanics lol.

But a used Classic is simple, as is a Silvia, and easy to work on. Only problem is you need an espresso capable grinder, if you don't have a grinder or a good espresso one (and not some store bought thing that says fine or espresso on it) then your SOL. You'll need to budget for that, so you need to figure out what your budget or priorities would be. There's a Gaggia group on yahoo I believe where you may find a used Classic as well in addition to ebay or craigslist. wholelattelove as pointed out above has refurbed Classics for just under 300.

But what about the grinder, do you have one and if so what type?

Posted May 13, 2014 link

I do have a burr grinder and I agree that proper grinder is very important .I learned that the hard way when first bought Cusinart the "bean crusher"grinder.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 2:31pm

kofechai Said:

I do have a burr grinder and I agree that proper grinder is very important .I learned that the hard way when first bought Cusinart the "bean crusher"grinder.

Posted May 13, 2014 link

what type though (name), lot's of people buy a 50 or 100 buck burr grinder and then find out it was never capable for espresso. Minimum for an espresso grinder bought new would be Le'Lit or Preciso both around the $300 mark. Using a non capable grinder on real machine will give you gushing spraying underextracted shots, or completely choked ones. Espresso requires stepless or stepless-like (in the case of the Baratzas) and the right burr set to grind for espresso, not a matter of grinding fine enough, but the correct grind fineness and quality.

I see you have Breville mentioned, but which one? Even their top grinder the Smart Grinder is not good enough for espresso, very narrow window to dial in and the burr set isn't good for espresso, excellent coarse use grinder though. But if it's all you got and no budget for an espresso grinder it's better than nothing. You did nail the "bean crusher" part of the cuisinart though hahaha, that's great, you know the difference there, lot's of those low end grinders are more like bean mashers.
marosmith
marosmith

Espresso: NS Oscar, Silvia V2
Grinder: NS MCF, Baratza Encore
Posted Tue May 13, 2014, 6:49pm

kofechai Said:

Posted May 13, 2014 link

The whole point of machines like this is they are simple, parts are everywhere, and they are easy to work on. They should last a lifetime with normal cleaning and periodic repairs.

I do believe you can get plenty of machines that haven't been abused as well. Probably depends on your region but both the used silvia and oscar I purchased were in fantastic condition and descaled regularly.
kofechai

Posted Wed May 14, 2014, 7:11am

CMIN Said:

what type though (name), lot's of people buy a 50 or 100 buck burr grinder and then find out it was never capable for espresso. Minimum for an espresso grinder bought new would be Le'Lit or Preciso both around the $300 mark. Using a non capable grinder on real machine will give you gushing spraying underextracted shots, or completely choked ones. Espresso requires stepless or stepless-like (in the case of the Baratzas) and the right burr set to grind for espresso, not a matter of grinding fine enough, but the correct grind fineness and quality.

I see you have Breville mentioned, but which one?

Posted May 13, 2014 link

My Breville has BCG800XL as a model number and I payed around the $300 for it.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Less expensive...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.439270973206)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+