Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Quick Mill Anita: HX Flush at High Altitude
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quick Mill...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
avalys

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 9:03am
Subject: Quick Mill Anita: HX Flush at High Altitude

I just got a Quick Mill Anita.  This is my first heat exchanger machine.  I live at 7,000 feet in Colorado Springs, CO, and I'm having a bit of trouble correcting the advice I'm reading online regarding the HX flush volume with the reduced boiling temperature of water at this altitude: about 199-200F.

Most people refer to this article as an introduction to HX flush requirements: Click Here (www.home-barista.com)

This recommends flushing about 2 ounces of water past the point where "the hissing stops", which it says happens when the group temperature is roughly 206F.  This is 6F below the boiling point of water at sea level.  However, since the boiling point of water at my altitude is actually 200F, I would conclude that the "hissing will stop" on my machine at around 194F, so perhaps I do not want to flush any more water past that point at all.  The espresso seems to come out okay doing that, but this is my first decent espresso machine (last was a single-boiler Lelit that had pretty poor temperature control) so I probably don't even know what a really good shot actually tastes like and I'm sure I could be doing something better.  I am using the "flush and wait" scheme, and it usually takes me about 60 seconds to grind and tamp after the flush.

Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track?  I know I should probably buy a group head thermometer, but if I'm going to have to spend an additional $110 on this I'd have to think about just going straight for a PID double boiler machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRon
CoffeeRon
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Wega Lyra, Europiccola(still...
Grinder: Macap M7D, Pharos, Vario W,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam CoffeeMaster
Drip: Melita BCM-4
Roaster: FR SR500,B-1600, SC/TO
Posted Fri May 16, 2014, 12:06pm
Subject: Re: Quick Mill Anita: HX Flush at High Altitude

You pose some interesting questions that have me by nature doing some thinking. You should consider that the brew temp and the grouphead temp, while somewhat related, are two different things. The hissing should stop on your machine when the water coming out is just below boiling. How hot the GH is at that point will depend on the boiler temp as well as the type of machine. My machine is a "dragon" and requires a VERY long cooling flush to get the GH temp down. I found this out a couple months ago after installing a GH thermometer, which greatly improved my shots.

At my last job I worked with gages a bit and learned that under different barometric pressures they would read off unless they were vented. They would have a small lever or just a rubber cap to pop out and the needle would adjust to zero for that pressure. If your gage is vented, which I'm going to take a guess and say it is, then 1 bar on your machine will be a lot cooler than 1 bar on mine. As 1 bar on your machine would be less absolute pressure and thus a cooler temp. If this is the case then the group head would run cooler as well, and you're right then that it will be cooler when the hissing stops, as it wasn't as hot to start with.

I would be interested to hear if people at higher altitudes adjust their boiler gages higher to compensate, it would make sense to me to do so, unless the gages are sealed and actually reading a pressure in relation to sea level.

As for installing a group head thermometer- to me it gives you the best of both worlds- I can see for myself what the grouphead temp is, which will affect the brew temp a bit, and don't have to wait for the PID to adjust the boiler temp if I want to go a little hotter or cooler for a given shot.

Some will tell you that with a bit of practice you'll find your sweet spot and have no need for the thermometer. This may well be true. For me, figuring this out at home and not knowing the nature of my "dragon", the thermometer was a big help.

Hope this helps a bit,
Ron
livin
livin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millinum
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Vac Pot: French Press!
Drip: people drink this?
Roaster: Riviera Coffee, Chandler AZ
Posted Sat May 17, 2014, 8:32am
Subject: Re: Quick Mill Anita: HX Flush at High Altitude

I'm moving to Denver in a month and interested in this also, I have an Isomac HX.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Quick Mill...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.278491973877)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+