Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Muddy cold water instead of coffee out of gaggia classic
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Muddy cold water...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
nightrave

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon May 19, 2014, 10:49pm
Subject: Muddy cold water instead of coffee out of gaggia classic

Hi guys! This is my first post here so please excuse me if I don't do it 100% right.

Just bought a used gaggia classic and gaggia mdf grinder in addition to it. I have backflushed it, descaled it and cleaned the gasket plus changed the group gasket. The seller was claiming the machine is working fine.
I turn it on, wait for about 5 mins, grind the coffee with Gaggia MDF at level 7, put the coffee in and turn it on. Ir buzzes and then muddy cold water comes out of it. Any ideas on where should I check first?
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue May 20, 2014, 2:14pm
Subject: Re: Muddy cold water instead of coffee out of gaggia classic

Hi and welcome.

It takes about half an hour for the machine to stabilize at temp, not 5 minutes. By then though, you should be able to feel heat in the boiler if you have the machine open. If the boiler is getting hot then wait longer but if it is not getting warm, you need to check that the heater is getting power or more likely, the machine has been run dry and the heater is burned out and needs to be replaced. Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that that machine has the heater cast into the boiler so the above statement about burning it out may not apply.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
g0bez
g0bez
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Macap MX (eBay Specia)
Roaster: Local Roaster:...
Posted Wed May 21, 2014, 7:12am

I just bought a new gaggia classic about a month ago, and I do like to let it warm up for closer to 20 - 30 minutes, but I can get hot water moving through the system within minutes... certainly under 5, and probably closer to 2.

I agree that this sounds like something with the heater / boiler. Hopefully it was not allowed to sit powered on and heat up without water in it (which can burn out the boiler). Depending on whether or not it was well maintained, it could just be a load of buildup... you may want to check out the Gaggia User Group (GUG) -- they have a great Gaggia-specific reference library and forum, and specifically give some good tips that you may find useful in troubleshooting this.

For example, here is their descaling page:

Click Here (www.gaggiausersgroup.com)

Fortunately you can pretty much disassemble the whole machine and replace just what needs to be replaced (if you're up for it, and if it comes down to needing to replace parts). The crew over at GUG have way more experience than I do...

Good luck!
nightrave

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed May 21, 2014, 7:31am

Thanks guys!

Went to the gaggia user group and the suggestion is, that the thermostat is faulty. Ordered new one and hope for the best!
Thank you again!
RichardCoffee

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: gaggia baby twin, mini...
Grinder: fiorenzato pietro 63mm,...
Roaster: weber grill with rk drum
Posted Wed May 21, 2014, 7:44am

This has nothing to do with the heat, but I have a Gaggia Baby Twin and MDF grinder.  When you get the boiler working, I'd suggest you'll need to grind finer  then 7 on the grinder.  I'd start at least at 5.  Depending on the coffee, I sometimes go as low as 3.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed May 21, 2014, 9:24am

Just to clarify, the post on GUG mentions long warm up, not 5 minutes.  That removes warm up as the cause and changes to a b'stat problem.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Muddy cold water...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.315504074097)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+